RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 02-08-2011

I dint' find any at the grange or other store I went to. I've come to use the Grange as my own litmus test. If it is viable, they will have it. If not, I don't bother. Merely because I'm no miracle worker. My thumb is a brownish green at best.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 02-10-2011

I plan to till a small area of the garden and put in few heads of cabbage and some broccoli from starts. That's it for my cool season veggies. I'll wait until mid May to plant the summer veggies.

It was 28 degrees at my house this morning. A nice reminder that there is plenty of winter remaining.

Re: What's in your garden? - rainylady - 02-10-2011

cletus1 Wrote:I plan to till a small area of the garden and put in few heads of cabbage and some broccoli from starts. That's it for my cool season veggies. I'll wait until mid May to plant the summer veggies.

It was 28 degrees at my house this morning. A nice reminder that there is plenty of winter remaining.

I am in Northern California and the last few days we have woken up to lots of ice on the cars. Ninja

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 02-10-2011

Quote:It was 28 degrees at my house this morning. A nice reminder that there is plenty of winter remaining.

In a few hours It will be 60 degrees and sunny with bugs flying around just like yesterday. A nice reminder that there is not much winter remaining Big Grin

I have huge piles of dead Pampass grass I pulled from my plants yesterday. I plan on making a native hut. Or maybe I'll spread it out on my garden area to prevent grass from growing while I wait for the soil to dry enough to till. Most is already covered with leaves.

Re: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 02-10-2011

[Image: 9bbd]

Nice Big Grin , the wife wants a roof over the hot tub, I have a huge old aluminum satellite dish Eyebrows

PonderThis Wrote:[Image: 9bbd]

I wanted the look of a living thatch roof on my house so I was going to plant rye grass, but too many people talked about the fire danger in our climate. So, I'm looking for mixed varieties of Sedum instead, because it doesn't burn nearly as readily. Anybody have enough Sedum for about 2600 square feet of roof???

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 02-10-2011

tvguy Wrote:
Quote:It was 28 degrees at my house this morning. A nice reminder that there is plenty of winter remaining.

In a few hours It will be 60 degrees and sunny with bugs flying around just like yesterday. A nice reminder that there is not much winter remaining Big Grin

I have huge piles of dead Pampass grass I pulled from my plants yesterday. I plan on making a native hut. Or maybe I'll spread it out on my garden area to prevent grass from growing while I wait for the soil to dry enough to till. Most is already covered with leaves.

Next week is supposed to be cold and rainy. Sad

Re: What's in your garden? - Larry - 02-10-2011

We have been blessed of late with a beautiful false spring, and it has been quite enjoyable, but we need to get back to little more weather before the real spring arrives. I hope it is just rainy in the valley without any snow.

Re: What's in your garden? - Larry - 02-10-2011

I sometimes wish I had the patience and ambition to have a garden. Then I see something shiny and I forget about it.

Re: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 02-10-2011

No garden. I kill everything. Not sure how my husband and kids have lived this long.

PonderThis Wrote:I wanted the look of a living thatch roof on my house so I was going to plant rye grass, but too many people talked about the fire danger in our climate. So, I'm looking for mixed varieties of Sedum instead, because it doesn't burn nearly as readily. Anybody have enough Sedum for about 2600 square feet of roof???
I looked up sedum and learned that there are around 400 species of sedum plants. Now I want to know why the heck would anyone try to make a roof out of what appears to be flowering succulents?

tvguy Wrote:

Go on plant some tomatoes, I dare ya. Wink

cletus1 Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:

It's being done for me, somewhere in a green house. As a master gardener I feel I must share the secret to growing large red and EARLY tomatoes.

The secret is don't plant when everyone plants. Wait until about August and buy some four foot plants in 5 gallon containers.You may have to pay a wee bit extra, like maybe 20 bucks but this way they come with red tomatoes. Just look at all the watering and weeding you don't have to do.

I buy several bags of full grown potatoes and put them in the ground at about the same time. No need to water them at all.

tvguy Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:In a few hours It will be 60 degrees and sunny with bugs flying around just like yesterday. A nice reminder that there is not much winter remaining Big Grin

It's being done for me, somewhere in a green house. As a master gardener I feel I must share the secret to growing large red and EARLY tomatoes.

The secret is don't plant when everyone plants. Wait until about August and buy some four foot plants in 5 gallon containers.You may have to pay a wee bit extra, like maybe 20 bucks but this way they come with red tomatoes. Just look at all the watering and weeding you don't have to do.

I buy several bags of full grown potatoes and put them in the ground at about the same time. No need to water them at all.
The modern gardener. Big Grin How long before you can dig up the potatoes? 12 to 24 hours seems like it would be long enough to leave them in the ground.

cletus1 Wrote:
PonderThis Wrote:I wanted the look of a living thatch roof on my house so I was going to plant rye grass, but too many people talked about the fire danger in our climate. So, I'm looking for mixed varieties of Sedum instead, because it doesn't burn nearly as readily. Anybody have enough Sedum for about 2600 square feet of roof???
I looked up sedum and learned that there are around 400 species of sedum plants. Now I want to know why the heck would anyone try to make a roof out of what appears to be flowering succulents?
Why wouldn't everybody like to have a roof covered with flowering succulents? It's prettier, better for the environment, makes cleaner air, buffers and reduces rain water run-off, protects the actual roof membrane longer, dampens sound... Besides, it'll confuse the satellites. Big Grin

I'd post some pictures but the best I can show you is this .pdf document on selecting plants for an ecoroof, it's from the city of Portland: http://www.portlandonline.com/bes/index ... 8&a=261055

That page is only one of many from this page here: http://www.portlandonline.com/bes/index.cfm?c=44422

Living ecoroofs are in everyones best interests. That's the long and the short answer.

[Image: sedum_roof1_original.jpg]

cletus1 Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:Go on plant some tomatoes, I dare ya. Wink

The modern gardener. Big Grin How long before you can dig up the potatoes? 12 to 24 hours seems like it would be long enough to leave them in the ground.

I wait until friends come over then I dig a few up.

PonderThis Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:
Why wouldn't everybody like to have a roof covered with flowering succulents? It's prettier, better for the environment, makes cleaner air, buffers and reduces rain water run-off, protects the actual roof membrane longer, dampens sound... Besides, it'll confuse the satellites. Big Grin

I'd post some pictures but the best I can show you is this .pdf document on selecting plants for an ecoroof, it's from the city of Portland: http://www.portlandonline.com/bes/index ... 8&a=261055

That page is only one of many from this page here: http://www.portlandonline.com/bes/index.cfm?c=44422

Living ecoroofs are in everyones best interests. That's the long and the short answer.

[Image: sedum_roof1_original.jpg]

What a bunch of malarky Laughing Laughing I think it's OK but from what I just read it's not all what it's cracked up to be. I keep reading that it will "replace conventional roofing" Excuse me but don't you have to have a conventional roof underneath all the dirt and plants???

The also claim with an eco roof you won't need as big of a heating and cooling as with a conventional roof. BALDERDASH Laughing Laughing
You are supposed to insulate your CEILING with a lot of insulation and then ventilate your attic. Besides they already have a system of spraying foam on the underside of your roof if you really want to go that far. Plus this foam is made from soybeans or something green I forget.

As far as helping the planet with plants that suck up carbon dioxide I can do the same thing just by watering the ground. The last thing I need is a roof I need to freaking water Surprised Laughing I thought water was a precious resource we need to conserve? In my case I have to run an electric motor to pump water,half of that electricity comes from burning coal.

Sedum needs almost no water, that's what makes it such a good covering for roofs.

Here's a more comprehensive list of living roof benefits, as per the city of Portland:

Environmental Benefits

* Manage stormwater
* Increase wildlife habitat
* Filter pollutants
* Reduce the urban heat island effect
* Improve air quality
* Save energy
* Buffer noise

Economic Benefits

* Can double the lifespan of the roof
* May be eligible for a sewer rate discount
* Can lower heating and cooling costs

Social Benefits

* Improve community livability
* Create greenspaces
* Provide educational opportunities
* Connect the community with the natural environment

PonderThis Wrote:Sedum needs almost no water, that's what makes it such a good covering for roofs.

Well then if people want to really make a difference then they should persuade people to plant sedum instead of grass.