RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 02-10-2011

Yes I just read all that Big Grin

PonderThis Wrote:Sedum needs almost no water, that's what makes it such a good covering for roofs.

Here's a more comprehensive list of living roof benefits, as per the city of Portland:

Environmental Benefits

* Manage stormwater
* Increase wildlife habitat HUH? not at my house
* Filter pollutants.... doesn't the earth do the same thing as the water filters down?
* Reduce the urban heat island effect... not at my house Laughing I live in the desert a tiny green roof isn't going to do jack
* Improve air quality... a minuscule amount
* Save energy......depends on how poorly your ceiling is insulated. Like I said the spray foam will do the same thing
* Buffer noise .......spray foam again

Economic Benefits

* Can double the lifespan of the roof... at what cost for an initial installation??? how long will that metal roof you have last Ponder? Mine has been on my shop 20 years and it looks the same as the day I put it up.
* May be eligible for a sewer rate discount
* Can lower heating and cooling costs........again, so can adequate insulation

Social Benefits

* Improve community livability
* Create greenspaces...................these three are freaking stretching it and don't apply to me anyway.
* Provide educational opportunities
* Connect the community with the natural environment

I see it as a benefit in cities, I'll say that much.

Re: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 02-10-2011

You're right, lawns are incredibly wasteful for water. I don't know how well sedum holds up to being walked on though, I suspect not so well.

I don't know if you're properly figuring the cooling effect of 6-8" of a damp lightweight soil mix on a roof, attics typically are pretty hot places and anything that cooled that would seem like an improvement and a help. In my particular case I have an open ceiling from underneath of knotty pine tongue and groove lumber, topped with R-40 high density foam insulation above that covered with a continuous rubber membrane and then the soil mix on top of that (yes, a thick roof).

tvguy Wrote:I see it as a benefit in cities, I'll say that much.
You're absolutely right, this would make more environmental sense in town than in the woods. If this works out it's at least conceivable I'll do it on a commercial building I own in town too, and I just have an interest in building in general anyway. It doesn't really have to make economic sense if I believe in it enough though either, although I'd like to hope that's the long term goal.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 02-10-2011

Quote: You're right, lawns are incredibly wasteful for water. I don't know how well holds up to being walked on though, I suspect not so well.

Yeah but I bet there is something better than water sucking grass but it's prolly not as purdy.

Quote:I don't know if you're properly figuring the cooling effect of 6-8" of a damp lightweight soil mix on a roof, attics typically are pretty hot places and anything that cooled that would seem like an improvement and a help.

You bet but all I'm saying is the improvement would depend on how much insulation you have over your ceiling, how well ventilated your attic is.Plus it all depends what type of roof you have. Three tab asphalt dark colored roofing is freaking stupid. Metal roofing does a very good job of reflecting heat. Also the same goes for these white vinyl or rubber roofs. Don't even go on one of those with out sun glasses Wink

Quote: In my particular case I have an open ceiling from underneath of knotty pine tongue and groove lumber, topped with R-40 high density foam insulation above that covered with a continuous rubber membrane and then the soil mix on top of that (yes, a thick roof).

I bet that rubber membrane cost a pretty penny. I thought you had a metal roof? also don't you have shade trees?

tvguy Wrote:I bet that rubber membrane cost a pretty penny. I thought you had a metal roof? also don't you have shade trees?
No metal roof on this building, no. I bought the membrane a couple years ago so I don't remember now but I think the roll was close to $3000 and I used most of it, plus glue, cleaner, etc. and special vent gaskets. A big part of this buildings expense is in the roof and the posts that support it. The straw bale walls set inside of that will provide no real strength, only insulation and a place to mount electrical boxes to.

The native trees here are mostly white fir around the houses, and I either build clear of them, or I take the trees out with the cat. They're too prone to falling over in windstorms for me to want any perched right over me, especially leaning my direction. I like my houses to be in the open, with the forest far enough away to keep the most intense parts of fires away, should it ever come to that. If I wasn't worried about fire on the roof of the house I'd just plant grass instead, it would be a lot easier.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 03-03-2011

I don't know where this thread dissapeard to but I had the hardest time finding it again. You can't find it searching for "What's in your garden", oh, no! but type something else in like "Tomatoes" or Melons and it pops right up!

So, how is the garden planning going?

Re: What's in your garden? - Crazylace - 03-03-2011

I just started some cilantro seeds for my kitchen window shelf. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - rainylady - 03-03-2011

I don't have anything in my garden but grass, two dead roses bushes, and some pink ground level flowers. I don't know what they are but they are growing near the gas line, electrical box, sewer line, cable line, phone line, and water line.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-05-2011

Daylight saving time starts next Sunday March 13th. Greenleaf's nursery store opens March 31st. It wont be long till I'm I'm tillin. Smiling You gardeners might want to take a look at Greanleaf's selection of flower and veggie starts. I think they are least expensive place to buy plant starts in the Rogue Valley.

http://www.greenleafindustries.org/retail.php

Re: What's in your garden? - HoneyhalfWitch - 03-05-2011

cletus1 Wrote:Daylight saving time starts next Sunday March 13th. Greenleaf's nursery store opens March 31st. It wont be long till I'm I'm tillin. Smiling You gardeners might want to take a look at Greanleaf's selection of flower and veggie starts. I think they are least expensive place to buy plant starts in the Rogue Valley.

We always use Greenleaf. Plus it goes to a good cause.

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-05-2011

cletus1 Wrote:Daylight saving time starts next Sunday March 13th. Greenleaf's nursery store opens March 31st. It wont be long till I'm I'm tillin. Smiling You gardeners IN GRANTS PASS might want to take a look at Greanleaf's selection of flower and veggie starts. I think they are least expensive place to buy plant starts in the Rogue Valley.

tvguy Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:Daylight saving time starts next Sunday March 13th. Greenleaf's nursery store opens March 31st. It wont be long till I'm I'm tillin. Smiling You gardeners IN GRANTS PASS might want to take a look at Greanleaf's selection of flower and veggie starts. I think they are least expensive place to buy plant starts in the Rogue Valley.

You mean you never come to Grants Pass? I can understand that because I never go to Eagle Point, not that you live in Eagle Point, but I just never go there. :shock: I don't go to Medford very much anymore either. I go to Ashland more often then Medford lately. I am just fortunate enough to live in GP. Wink

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 03-05-2011

Cletus, do you ever grow celery?

Re: What's in your garden? - bbqboy - 03-05-2011

he's sitting in the brewery right now Smiling

Yes, lucky him. He'll get back to me in his own good time. I can't hang around waiting for Cletus to actually just be here, can I?

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-05-2011

cletus1 Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:

You mean you never come to Grants Pass? I can understand that because I never go to Eagle Point, not that you live in Eagle Point, but I just never go there. :shock: I don't go to Medford very much anymore either. I go to Ashland more often then Medford lately. I am just fortunate enough to live in GP. Wink

Sure I go to GP sometimes,Once a couple friends and I took a canoe trip down a river that's now underwater. I was fun for a while until Ned got... Oh never mind. I just thought since most who post here are form Medford or the close surrounding area that it was worth pointing out that this greenleafindustries place was in GP the...(enter illiterate Jokes and deliverance references here) Laughing Laughing

Hey I figures out something else odd about CL and locations. Everything on cl I see for sale in Wolf creek is hardly worth a trip to the dump Razz

Tia Wrote:Cletus, do you ever grow celery?
I have, but it is never as good as what I can buy. Perhaps that plant needs some tender loving care that I am unaware of. Sad

I knew you would get back to me! I wouldn't expect it to be as good. I wonder if needs to be blanched(?) like cauliflower. I ask because it is supposedly one of the 'dirty dozen' of vegetables treated excessively with insecticides/pesticides. A number of things on the list I can grow: lettuce, spinach, bell peppers. I should grow potatoes but last year they didn't grow. (the year I didn't try they grew). Anyway, I was wondering how productive celery would be to try.

Re: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 03-05-2011

I've grown celery, and like Cletus, it wasn't as good. I think celery gets bitter when sunlight hits the growing stalks, so I suspect it's only good when it's either grown in complete fields full of the stuff (so they all shade each other) or, I think I've read to bundle up the growing celery in something that covers the stalks up. I let mine go to seed, and had wild celery growing everywhere for awhile - none of it any good. I've read that celery roots are called something like celeriac in Europe and is considered a delicacy, none of mine were any good for that either, maybe I caught them at the wrong time.

PonderThis Wrote:I've grown celery, and like Cletus, it wasn't as good. I think celery gets bitter when sunlight hits the growing stalks, so I suspect it's only good when it's either grown in complete fields full of the stuff (so they all shade each other) or, I think I've read to bundle up the growing celery in something that covers the stalks up. I let mine go to seed, and had wild celery growing everywhere for awhile - none of it any good. I've read that celery roots are called something like celeriac in Europe and is considered a delicacy, none of mine were any good for that either, maybe I caught them at the wrong time.

It's not something I ever see at the growers markets.