RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - Tia - 03-30-2011

(03-28-2011, 10:40 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(03-28-2011, 09:56 AM)TennisMom Wrote: Ti, while walking the dog the other night I saw the most enormous slug ever. With all the rain we've been having, I wonder if we will be seeing more numerous, larger-than-ever slugs? It was nauseating. Eek!

Like this one?

[Image: BananaSlug.jpg]

That there be a bananer slug.

I went out the other night and saw nothing, no pill bugs, slugs, or snails or otherwise. Lots of snails in other locations of the yard.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-30-2011

(03-27-2011, 06:18 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote:

How about birds? The scrub jays got my cabbage plants. Well, that's what I was thinking.

Quote:Perfectly possible. LOTS of birds right now. Mostly Robins and Chickadees.

Robins eat worms and insects don't they? Go out at night Tia and see if you can see any bugs. Or if it is birds put some screen over the plants?
[/quote]
Birds are not out at night they are sleeping.Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-30-2011

The word on the street is owls love lettuce.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tia - 03-30-2011

(03-30-2011, 05:01 PM)tvguy Wrote: The word on the street is owls love lettuce.

UnsureBlink

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-01-2011

There was a little delay getting my greenhouse. Yesterday I went to the vendor and actually tried to get out of buying it. After OL showed me the one from Harbor Freight Tool at almost half price I did not want to buy the more expensive one in GP. But I had made a partial payment of half the costs and I was obligated to pay the rest.

Anyway the vendor was very understanding and gave me a $150 discount probably just to stop my whining and so I got it. I'll set it up myself today. Yes I decided I didn't want to pay for assembly either. Comments in this thread motivated the changes. Yay RVF! I sometimes get very good information from this place.

RE: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 04-03-2011

Tia, that pic was deee-sgusting. It also looked kinda like the one I saw. Twitch

This is a short article called, "Garden As If Your Life Depended On It...."

What's for Supper Down the Road?

As they move through the next few decades Americans can expect

§ the price of conventionally produced food to rise and not come down again,

§ prices to rollercoaster so that budgeting is unpredictable,

§ some foods to become very expensive compared to what we're used to

§ and others, beginning with some of the multiple versions of the same thing made by the same company to garner a bigger market share and more shelf space, to gradually become unavailable.

http://www.countercurrents.org/laconte300311.htm

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-07-2011

It's time to plant Walla walla's Big Grin or any other onion if you want them to get big.

My garden is soaking wet but I do have a raised area for some onions. I hate to plant there again because I have grown onions in the same spot two years in a row.

I guess I will anyway because at least they will be in the ground early.Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-17-2011

Laughing OK, its a toy greenhouse.
[Image: Greenhouse.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 04-17-2011

Is that a stainless steel bucket in the picture? Your greenhouse looks wonderful btw.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-17-2011

(04-17-2011, 05:55 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote: Is that a stainless steel bucket in the picture? Your greenhouse looks wonderful btw.
Thanks and yes that is a stainless steel bucket from when I had a milk cow.

RE: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 04-17-2011

I have one too. Great bucket. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 04-17-2011

That is a fine greenhouse! We haven't had much luck with our "green" greenhouse. Sad

[Image: The_Greenhouse_So_Far.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 04-17-2011

What are those walls made out of? Empty water bottles? Or are they full?

RE: What's in your garden? - GoCometsGo - 04-17-2011

(04-17-2011, 05:10 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Laughing OK, its a toy greenhouse.
[Image: Greenhouse.jpg]

May I be so bold???

Did you really terminate your porch steps into the side of your green house?

Did you also really block part of your window with same?

I'm hoping that there is a pathway to those steps that I am missing due to bad eyesight or out of frame architecture. I guess we could jump the dog and the hose when we come over for hot dogs.

I hate to admit it but I'm jealous of your backyard. I have a cool koi pond but the rest is kinda sad. Help me out and show me the un-picked-up dog poop.

RE: What's in your garden? - Lopaka - 04-17-2011

Nothing yet. However, we are only planting Heirloom Seeds (non-hybrids) this year. We will harvest the produce and save seeds for next year. These will germinate; hybrid germination is almost non-existent.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-17-2011

(04-17-2011, 06:49 PM)Lopaka Wrote: Nothing yet. However, we are only planting Heirloom Seeds (non-hybrids) this year. We will harvest the produce and save seeds for next year. These will germinate; hybrid germination is almost non-existent.

Oh, they will germinate, but you won't get what it came from.

Peas, lettuce, cabbage.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-18-2011

(04-17-2011, 06:43 PM)GoCometsGo Wrote:
(04-17-2011, 05:10 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Laughing OK, its a toy greenhouse.

May I be so bold???

Did you really terminate your porch steps into the side of your green house?

Did you also really block part of your window with same?

I'm hoping that there is a pathway to those steps that I am missing due to bad eyesight or out of frame architecture. I guess we could jump the dog and the hose when we come over for hot dogs.

I hate to admit it but I'm jealous of your backyard. I have a cool koi pond but the rest is kinda sad. Help me out and show me the un-picked-up dog poop.
Look closer. There is plenty of room between the steps on that side of the landing and the greenhouse. The wet surface in front makes it appear like the dry concrete behind is another step but it is the flat surface of the patio. Two steps are also on the other side of the landing.

That is a temporary location for the greenhouse. Right now I am planting seeds and I did not want to walk far. In late may I will put the green house out by the shed so I can have my little patio back for summer. I'll probably leave it by the shed permanently because I will store planting mix and pots in the shed. Also, when I spill a little soil I wont have to hose it off.

I scoop poop daily so I dont have any to show you right now. How about some blackberry brush that is starting to grow on my back fence. It looks terrible.Big Grin

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-18-2011

I have a stainless steel bucket that was free. It's half of swimming pool sand filter some fool was going to toss. It makes a nice utensil to keep water for my dog.

Nice little green house Clete, I want one too. I'll probably wait till I can buy one for 5 bucks, that's how I roll.

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 04-18-2011

Send a kid with rocks into Cletus's back yard and you might be able to get it for that. Big Grin

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-18-2011

(04-17-2011, 06:49 PM)Lopaka Wrote: Nothing yet. However, we are only planting Heirloom Seeds (non-hybrids) this year. We will harvest the produce and save seeds for next year. These will germinate; .

Why? I don't get this attraction to heirlooms?IF it's about taste I always grow several varieties of hybrids and I can't imagine ANY tomato tasting better than some of them.
Plus to me getting red tomatoes as early as possible is always one of my main goals.It there is a local heirloom plant that is know for producing early tomaters I'm game for trying something like that.BTW I think my dog could easily distract Clete's pup while I steal his first reds. Razz

hybrid germination is almost non-existent Well yes because the seeds from a hybrid won't produce the same parent plant so why would anyone want to germinate hybrid seeds?