RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 04-25-2009

cletus1 Wrote:
tvguy Wrote:YIKES!!! Wednesday is supposed to get down to 23!!!!
The Weather Channel forecasts 38 degrees on Wednesday. Did you get your report from UTR? Laughing
I also saw 23 degrees. I bought a grape tomato plant today at the Grange. Little puny thing so I will keep it inside for awhile.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-25-2009

cletus1 Wrote:
Tia Wrote:Tender plants. Wussy little plants that faint at the first sight of chill. Delicious plants that need stable warm temperatures, or they swoon and fall over.
Now that is a description of plants that don't tolerate frost that I have not seen before. Big Grin

Tell me it ain't true. Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-26-2009

[Image: HPIM0208.jpg]

FYI, these are frost tolerant plants. Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-26-2009

cletus1 Wrote:[Image: HPIM0208.jpg]

Yep, I got some of those. Not so many.

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 04-26-2009

Clete...You better get a head start on those weeds!!!!!!! Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-27-2009

Cletus , is that your neighbors garden Wink your plants grew that much is what 3 weeks? wow when did you rototill December? I can't believe you already have grass and weeds growing.

I wasn't able to till up my ground until about 3 or 4 weeks ago. It looks like you don't get full sun is that much of a problem. I don't either having tall trees on the west side but most things do fine anyway.

Anyway looks great , where were those peas you planted? must be down at the end or to the right in the picture?

Interesting how Cleters pic chopped off the end of the garden and Tia's chopped it off even more.

I fixed it Big Grin Wink

[Image: cletersgarden50.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-27-2009

I have peas but so far t hey are only about 2 inches tall. I took a chance and put the tomatoes out this weekend. I don't think they are thrilled, but they are still there and looking fine. Just kind of cold. I put out some squash seedlings too and planted some Romano Beans. My lettuce seems to have stalled. I'm not sure why exactly. Just not growing much.

Tia Wrote:I have peas but so far t hey are only about 2 inches tall. I took a chance and put the tomatoes out this weekend. I don't think they are thrilled, but they are still there and looking fine. Just kind of cold. I put out some squash seedlings too and planted some Romano Beans. My lettuce seems to have stalled. I'm not sure why exactly. Just not growing much.

I think it's probably still too early for squash type plants In my experience they just don't grow until it gets so warm that the soil stays warm at night.

I've been covering my tomatoes with buckets at night and some others I planted in large pots and they're in a makeshift hot box thing?

My frost proof ghetto looking garden Razz

[Image: garden7002.jpg]

My Walla Walla patch

[Image: garden7001.jpg]

My green beans that are probably afraid to come up since it 43 freaking degrees out today, and yes Cletus is right BEFORE pics aren't much to look at Laughing

[Image: garden7003.jpg]

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 04-27-2009

TV, how do your tomatoes do in the plastic pots? I planted my cherry tomato in one last year and it didn't do too well. My back yard is a city backyard so not much space for a real garden. When we lived in the country, I had a nice little plot. DH won't dig up the grass for a garden Sad

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-27-2009

Cometmom Wrote:TV, how do your tomatoes do in the plastic pots? I planted my cherry tomato in one last year and it didn't do too well. My back yard is a city backyard so not much space for a real garden. When we lived in the country, I had a nice little plot. DH won't dig up the grass for a garden Sad

I may be wrong, but my guess is that TVguy will plant the 'mater's in the ground when it gets warmer.

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-27-2009

[quote="tvguy"]Interesting how Cleters pic chopped off the end of the garden and Tia's chopped it off even more.

I fixed it Big Grin Wink [quote]
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I was wondering why the photo was chopped off. Thanks for whole picture.

TV, that little garden is the "salad" garden and it IS growing as fast. I used small starts except for the peas. I noticed that my Broccoli is 12 inches high already. I guess it is all the compost and steer manure I added to the soil. I just picked some greens today for the first time.

Some years I don't bother weeding the walking rows. I just carefully trim the weeds down with a weed eater. This may be one of those years.

I'll be ready to provide Amanda tortoise food and TooAnxious salad by the end of the week. Smiling

Re: What's in your garden? - tagalong - 04-27-2009

cletus1 Wrote:[Image: HPIM0208.jpg]

Been trying to figure out what is the plant in the lower right hand corner??????

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-27-2009

tagalong Wrote:Been trying to figure out what is the plant in the lower right hand corner??????
It is a perennial flowering plant that my wife would not let me pull up. So now it lives with the red sail lettuce. I'll post a photo when it blooms. It has pink fragrant flowers made up of flowerettes similar to lilacs or Delphinia.

Re: What's in your garden? - RobinBird - 04-28-2009

tagalong Wrote:Been trying to figure out what is the plant in the lower right hand corner??????

Those will freeze just as easily as tomatoes. Wink

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-28-2009

RobinBird Wrote:

What will freeze as easily as tomatoes? You don't garden much do ya? Dry Wink
I have had to clean the snow of of my Broccoli and peas and no harm was ever done to the plants. Frost resistant does not mean freeze proof, but it takes a serious freeze to kill those plants. They have been in the ground for almost a month and the temperature has been below freezing several times. Those plants are still healthy. FYI, tomatoes would have been killed, read TVguy's post.

Re: What's in your garden? - RobinBird - 04-28-2009

I'm pretty sure Tags thought that green leafy plant that is your wife's was something a bit more....controversial? Wink

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-28-2009

Tia Wrote:
Cometmom Wrote:TV, how do your tomatoes do in the plastic pots? I planted my cherry tomato in one last year and it didn't do too well. My back yard is a city backyard so not much space for a real garden. When we lived in the country, I had a nice little plot. DH won't dig up the grass for a garden Sad

I may be wrong, but my guess is that TVguy will plant the 'mater's in the ground when it gets warmer.

You is right Big Grin

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-28-2009

cletus1 Wrote:
RobinBird Wrote:

What will freeze as easily as tomatoes? You don't garden much do ya? Dry Wink
I have had to clean the snow of of my Broccoli and peas and no harm was ever done to the plants. Frost resistant does not mean freeze proof, but it takes a serious freeze to kill those plants. They have been in the ground for almost a month and the temperature has been below freezing several times. Those plants are still healthy. FYI, tomatoes would have been killed, read TVguy's post.

I could be wrong but I think Robin was referring to the plant that looks like whacky weed when she said it will freeze just as easy as tomatoes.

I does look a little like a pot plant Laughing

[Image: cletersweed.jpg]