RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 04-23-2011

I can see this now: Big Grin

[Image: 3-9-09greenhouse1.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 04-23-2011

(04-18-2011, 08:20 AM)reelo Wrote: I was amazed two years ago when we planted heirloom tomatoes. The taste difference was amazing even compared to the few hybrids we had. They weren't so great on early germination, but production by the end of the year was incredible- I ended up canning tons as well. The colors are pretty neat too Smiling

We still have about another month up here (end of May) before we can realistically put things in the ground. I'm getting ready to get my seeds started though and in another week or two I'll start collecting my starts. Hopefully I can get some compost mixed into the raised beds in the next week or two so they will be ready for planting.

Okay, my DH insisted on planting some heirloom tomatoes. I refused to eat them, though, because they were so ugly. Are they supposed to be ugly?

We will definitely be planting some yellow cherry tomatoes. Those are my all-time favorite.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-23-2011

(04-23-2011, 10:47 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I can see this now: Big Grin

Hey that works for me, purty aint that important. Except I want a glass roof

TM...Okay, my DH insisted on planting some heirloom tomatoes. I refused to eat them, though, because they were so ugly. Are they supposed to be ugly?

Pretty much yes. Many of the things that make tomatoes ugly like cracking and I guess even color are eliminated with hybrids. The same is true with all kinds of other things like disease resistance and slow ripening.

I suppose it all depends on which type of heirloom you choose. Why does it matter so much what they look like?

(04-23-2011, 06:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-23-2011, 10:47 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I can see this now: Big Grin

Hey that works for me, purty aint that important. Except I want a glass roof

Glass roofs don't contribute much lightwise that plants don't already get enough of from the south side glass especially, and they cause no end of leakage problems compared to a conventional roof. Plus, what if parts fall off airplanes? Smiling

I like an insulated roof, north wall, and most of the east and west walls too. Plus an insulated footing. Then, you have a greenhouse you could maybe afford to keep heated, especially if it's butted up against the south side of your house.

Glass roofs don't contribute much lightwise that plants don't already get enough of from the south side glass especially,

Hmmm, how come all the greenhouses I see have plastic or glass roofs? besides I'm thinking about an A frame style and then the roof IS the wallsSmiling

and they cause no end of leakage problems compared to a conventional roof.

I don't care if my roof leaks a littleSmiling

Plus, what if parts fall off airplanes? Smiling

I like an insulated roof, north wall, and most of the east and west walls too. Plus an insulated footing. Then, you have a greenhouse you could maybe afford to keep heated, especially if it's butted up against the south side of your house.

wow an opaque roof PLUS butted up against the south side of my house? That means it wouldn't seen any sun at all until after noon??

I want it to get the morning sun and I have no intention of paying to heat this thing. I see a green house down the road where the owners have been running heat lights all night long for at least a month.
I don't see how they can justify using all that electricity? Surely they could buy the plants they are growing cheaper than paying their electric bill.

I may stick a lite bulb or two inside if the temp gets below maybe 25 degrees or whatever

(04-23-2011, 06:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: I see a green house down the road where the owners have been running heat lights all night long for at least a month.
I don't see how they can justify using all that electricity? Surely they could buy the plants they are growing cheaper than paying their electric bill.

Perhaps they're growing something not readily available in nurseries. Smiling

(04-23-2011, 06:43 PM)PonderThis Wrote:
(04-23-2011, 06:39 PM)tvguy Wrote: I see a green house down the road where the owners have been running heat lights all night long for at least a month.

Maybe but I think it's more likely that they just don't know how much they are spending on electricity.
Why would anyone need heat lights on every single night? we have had lots of nights where the temps were never even close to freezing.

(04-23-2011, 06:52 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-23-2011, 06:43 PM)PonderThis Wrote:

Maybe but I think it's more likely that they just don't know how much they are spending on electricity.
Why would anyone need heat lights on every single night? we have had lots of nights where the temps were never even close to freezing.

They're probably growing pot, TV. Do I really have to spell this out for you???

BTW, I thought about the glass roof part. Yes, commercial greenhouses have glass roofs, and little home greenhouses have glass roofs too because customers expect them and that's how they sell. But at the times of year you're likely to be using a home greenhouse the light comes in from the southern sky at such an angle that sunlight reaching a vertical glass wall extends inward somewhere between 8 and 12 feet (this is from memory, and might be slightly off depending on latitude and my hazy memory). So, what that means is, for greenhouses not more than 8' - 12' deep or thereabouts, glass on the south side is all you really need much of.

I don't suggest you spend any money on heating the greenhouse, because when it's on the south side of your house you can open a window or a passageway between the two of them, and share heat back and forth. For an insulated greenhouse like I described it then won't cost you anything to heat it, because the days you need to spend a little more heating the house are made up for by days you can get by heating your house less (as the greenhouse heats up).

They're probably growing pot, TV. Do I really have to spell this out for you???

LOL I thought you were talking orchids or something. I don't think it's pot but maybe.

BTW, I thought about the glass roof part. Yes, commercial greenhouses have glass roofs, and little home greenhouses have glass roofs too because customers expect them and that's how they sell. But at the times of year you're likely to be using a home greenhouse the light comes in from the southern sky at such an angle that sunlight reaching a vertical glass wall extends inward somewhere between 8 and 12 feet (this is from memory, and might be slightly off depending on latitude and my hazy memory). So, what that means is, for greenhouses not more than 8' - 12' deep or thereabouts, glass on the south side is all you really need much of.

Yeah OK , makes sense but I do think I'll build an A frame and it will all be glass except maybe close to the ground I might use some metal roofing.

I don't suggest you spend any money on heating the greenhouse, because when it's on the south side of your house you can open a window or a passageway between the two of them, and share heat back and forth. For an insulated greenhouse like I described it then won't cost you anything to heat it, because the days you need to spend a little more heating the house are made up for by days you can get by heating your house less (as the greenhouse heats up)

I like this idea, I remember when you brought it up before but it's not feasible for me. My drive way is right next to the south side of my house. Plus all three rooms on that side are bedrooms.
Anyway I'm going to have this green house in practically full sun, nothing fancy just usable. I have 900 other things I need to doConfused

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 04-24-2011

(04-23-2011, 07:13 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm going to have this green house in practically full sun, nothing fancy just usable.

A lot of this is determined by how much of the year you intend on using this greenhouse. Greenhouses have dual problems. They get too cold in winter, but in summer they become ovens instead unless they have exceedingly good ventilation, often with fans. Like most things in life these twin goals are contradictory. You'll have to settle on the best compromise. That's why I like solar rooms attached to houses, because, although expensive, they are highly functional.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-29-2011

Total new plans for the greenhouse. I just bought a bunch of plastic clear corrugated roofing. It's 4 ft. wide X 13 ft. long and I have 16 pieces. I bought it for peanutsLaughing well $150 bucks worth of peanuts.

So now I think I'll make it really big so I can park my riding mower inside or whatever.
I'll probably get it finished just in time to grow some cactus, IF they can stand the heat Laughing

RE: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 04-29-2011

(03-24-2009, 07:16 AM)cletus1 Wrote: How wonderful it is at the beginning of the season. Everyone willing to take some of Cletus's veggies and he is happy to find new outlets for giving away his veggies.

Later in the season people are still polite and take some tomatoes and cucumbers. Cletus thanks them profusely.

Near the end of the season Cletus hears through the grapevine that people are saying things like Oh my God there he is again. Run he will try to pawn off more veggies on you.

Oh how wonderful is the beginning of the season.

Too Anxious and everyone can all get some veggies for sure. There is nothing ready yet I don't do the green house head starting anymore.
Apparently on Pine Ridge the people who take the food instead of food stamps run short because it is only monthly. Junk food and beef is killing them.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-29-2011

(03-24-2009, 07:16 AM)cletus1 Wrote: How wonderful it is at the beginning of the season. Everyone willing to take some of Cletus's veggies and he is happy to find new outlets for giving away his veggies.

Later in the season people are still polite and take some tomatoes and cucumbers. Cletus thanks them profusely.

Near the end of the season Cletus hears through the grapevine that people are saying things like Oh my God there he is again. Run he will try to pawn off more veggies on you.

Too Anxious and everyone can all get some veggies for sure. There is nothing ready yet I don't do the green house head starting anymore.

I know plenty!Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-30-2011

(04-29-2011, 09:37 PM)Tia Wrote:

I know plenty!Smiling
That post was from March 4,2009. How things have changed in two years. I now have a green house and do get a head start on my vegetables. Although I got in up kind of late in the season this year. Next year I will start peppers and tomatoes in late February.

I will happily give you some produce this year Tia. In the past I have given lots to Saint Vincent De Paul's Kitchen in Grants Pass when I run out of friends willing take more. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 04-30-2011

I'm planting a ton of carrots for the food bank today. Nantes. I logged off some big pines that were shading my garden and my carrot patch is going to see the sun for the first time. Maybe this is the year I take out my treated poles that the Western Wood Products Assn. said were perfectly safe. The western Wood Products Assn. is in the East for a good reason. But, I think the guy who wrote the study on treated poles, was another shill, graduated from Umpkua Kommunity Kollege.

RE: What's in your garden? - reelo - 04-30-2011

Ah, doorbell ditch with zuchini Smiling

Just started some starts, beans to be exact- although pumpkins, melons and a few others will be going in today. Hopefully I can get them at least 6 inches to a foot tall before the end of May when the outdoors season starts up here (we had snow yesterday).

RE: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-01-2011

My peas are up, but taking their time. I've got onions, radishes, lettuces, and planted some beans this morn. I think by next weekend I may start considering what peppers and tomatoes to put out. A few cukes starts are ready. They are picklers. Can I eat them raw?

Quote:I will happily give you some produce this year Tia. In the past I have given lots to Saint Vincent De Paul's Kitchen in Grants Pass when I run out of friends willing take more.

I can hook you up.

RE: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 05-01-2011

(04-30-2011, 07:22 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(04-29-2011, 09:37 PM)Tia Wrote:

I know plenty!Smiling
That post was from March 4,2009. How things have changed in two years. I now have a green house and do get a head start on my vegetables. Although I got in up kind of late in the season this year. Next year I will start peppers and tomatoes in late February.

I will happily give you some produce this year Tia. In the past I have given lots to Saint Vincent De Paul's Kitchen in Grants Pass when I run out of friends willing take more. Smiling
ST Vincents down here is an impressive organization.

RE: What's in your garden? - reelo - 05-02-2011

Was out weeding the raised beds so we can start prepping yesterday and found a couple of carrots from last fall- still edible-- while it's been colder then usual in general it looks like the beds never froze all the way through. The boys thought they'd scored the mother load, 4 giant (5 inch) carrots in assorted colors (red, purple and 2 white). It looks like year 2 of the garlic and they are coming along nicely but the onion experiment was a waste of space- those did freeze over winter and were frozen dead mush.

Next comes the dumping of the compost and the rototilling- but that may have to wait because while yesterday was (hallelujia) 60 degrees we might (gads) get snow today.