RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-14-2011

(05-14-2011, 04:31 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Isn't everything good fried?

No everything DEEP fried is goodBig Grin

RE: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 05-14-2011

(05-14-2011, 04:24 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-14-2011, 03:56 PM)Jesus Christ Wrote: I just had a fresh strawberry from my strawberry promenade. I dug a little trench along the walkway in the garden and put 1 gallon containers in a row with a plant in each and filled up the spaces with soil.

That's cool that you already got a red one. One thing I used to love was going to my garden when I came home from work at the hottest part of the day .And picking hot strawberries, cooling them with cold well water and eating them while I cooled down the garden.
It was as if they revitalized your whole tired bodyBig Grin
Fresh fruit does that , and mangoes really do something. I will take pics once the weather gets better again . It is always fun to compare growth from up there and down here. We wont be getting any tomatoes until later and unless the heat pics up in the next month it may be another bad year. I put in a potato bed with premium planting soil and it looks like it will give me enough to eat without buying for some time. I have a fiber glass laundry tub I will plant some more strawberries in.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-22-2011

Getting ready for another long day in the garden.

My brother told me that they were already out salsa which I take as a hint he wants more tomatoes and jalapenos this year.

I plan to plant less Roma tomatoes, no Tomatillos and I'm debating not planting okra this year either.

It appears that have way too many zucchini, eggplant and other veggie plants still in 4 inch pots. I'll see what is left over and have a friend sell some at the Saturday Market in Grants Pass or donate them or some of both. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-22-2011

I finally was able to till some of my garden yesterday. As soon as I eat some grub I need to get out their and finish before it rains.
I bought a new/used rear tine tiller and I love it. The tines go backwards when the wheels go forward and that makes it much easier to use.Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 05-22-2011

I got my Troy Bilt Horse off of Craigslist. Four Hundred bucks and in beautiful condition (Except for the crease in the gas tank from the colision twenty years ago (That made him put the thing away for twenty years). When I screwed it up on opening day of tilling, my best hope was five weeks out. But I downloaded the manual off the web for twenty bucks and destroyed my shoulder getting the thing apart, and now, I'm the expert). They are always on Craigslist for cheap, and they are simple enough that a caveman, like me, can use them. But, you can till a good thing to death! Tillers can be a little bit dangerous. I have a scar from a tine that caught me, just from walking backward over a stump with it. And, it wasn't even running.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-22-2011

Garden is tilled. Tilled and fed in front with lots of composted straw. 4 tomatoes 4 peppers, 4 squash and 2 bush cucumbers. 4 climbing pickling cucumber, seedling zukes, lettuce, radishes, parsley, radishes, no visible carrots. Cabbages, bok choy snap peas, string beans when they grow, bush beans too. ground beans also.

RE: What's in your garden? - Crone - 05-22-2011

(05-22-2011, 09:15 PM)Tia Wrote: Garden is tilled. Tilled and fed in front with lots of composted straw. 4 tomatoes 4 peppers, 4 squash and 2 bush cucumbers. 4 climbing pickling cucumber, seedling zukes, lettuce, radishes, parsley, radishes, no visible carrots. Cabbages, bok choy snap peas, string beans when they grow, bush beans too. ground beans also.

Oh, wow..in a couple months I would love to sit in your garden for a while with a napkin and a salt shaker!

RE: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 05-22-2011

(05-22-2011, 09:23 PM)Crone Wrote:
(05-22-2011, 09:15 PM)Tia Wrote: Garden is tilled. Tilled and fed in front with lots of composted straw. 4 tomatoes 4 peppers, 4 squash and 2 bush cucumbers. 4 climbing pickling cucumber, seedling zukes, lettuce, radishes, parsley, radishes, no visible carrots. Cabbages, bok choy snap peas, string beans when they grow, bush beans too. ground beans also.

Oh, wow..in a couple months I would love to sit in your garden for a while with a napkin and a salt shaker!

Thumbs Up

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 05-22-2011

About twenty potato plants have poked their heads up Only a hundred to go.

RE: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 05-22-2011

I'm not a gardener. I don't have any live plants in my home. But I am trying my luck at some Roma and Beefsteak Tomatoes and Zucchini Squash just to see if I can do it. They're in little pots waiting to sprout. I guess I'm supposed to transplant them into the dirt out front after they get a good start. I guess! Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-23-2011

(05-22-2011, 09:53 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'm not a gardener. I don't have any live plants in my home. But I am trying my luck at some Roma and Beefsteak Tomatoes and Zucchini Squash just to see if I can do it. They're in little pots waiting to sprout. I guess I'm supposed to transplant them into the dirt out front after they get a good start. I guess! Smiling

It's hard to mess up a zucchini.

RE: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 05-23-2011

(05-23-2011, 04:32 AM)Tia Wrote:
(05-22-2011, 09:53 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'm not a gardener. I don't have any live plants in my home. But I am trying my luck at some Roma and Beefsteak Tomatoes and Zucchini Squash just to see if I can do it. They're in little pots waiting to sprout. I guess I'm supposed to transplant them into the dirt out front after they get a good start. I guess! Smiling

Well, give me a chance! Wink tee hee

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 05-29-2011

The last post is damn near a week old. But, I'm not discouraged. Not just yet. I have seventyfive "potatos" (I'm careful with that one) up, and maybe another fifty coming. My tomatoes are looking good. The cherry trees are loaded. I'm still gluing carrot seeds to Charmin. And, my wife didn't put in near enough onions. I'm a little scared for my melon crop. But, I think this is going to be an incredible garden year (Depending upon the sun getting here in a week, and staying here). Another "Couple" has joined my bird pack. if my wife's new car is any indication, my bird buddies are loading us up with free fertilizer.

RE: What's in your garden? - Kno1 - 05-30-2011

(05-14-2011, 04:31 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Isn't everything good fried?
Fried Ponder...

Sounds delish

(05-23-2011, 04:32 AM)Tia Wrote:

But can a hard zucchini mess you up?

Speaking of which.....Wink

RE: What's in your garden? - chuck white - 05-30-2011

Peacocks from next door.
They are digging around in my compost pile.

(05-30-2011, 07:21 PM)chuck white Wrote: Peacocks from next door.
I've always wanted peacocks, but they'd have to outrun two very poultry-loving mastiffs to survive. Smiling

Thus, no peacocks.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-30-2011

(05-30-2011, 07:21 PM)chuck white Wrote: Peacocks from next door.

I had a blue jay dive bombing me...he wanted me to move because I was turning soil and turning over grubs and worms. I just moved away and let him come get dinner. Bold little bugger.

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 05-30-2011

My robin feeds on the worms from my gardens. But, he stops to visit when I go outside. And now, I catch him watching me from outside. I can almost walk him like he's on an invisible leash. He building a nest for his honey. I don't know if it'll be his lady from last year, or? I have no idea how robins work it out. But, they know a lot about us.

RE: What's in your garden? - Crone - 05-30-2011

(05-30-2011, 09:57 PM)illcommandante Wrote: My robin feeds on the worms from my gardens. But, he stops to visit when I go outside. And now, I catch him watching me from outside. I can almost walk him like he's on an invisible leash. He building a nest for his honey. I don't know if it'll be his lady from last year, or? I have no idea how robins work it out. But, they know a lot about us.

Our lone squirrel has a girlfriend!
He went scampering across the grass and she met him at the tree line. They danced a circle dance together and then ran up the tree.
This guy has been the lone wolf since we moved here...I am so happy for them I left out a whole pile of peanuts in the shell (in addition to the hanging dry corn)