RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 05-30-2011

I tamed a chipmunk to eat peanuts in the shell right out of my hand. It was the cutest thing. Then, the next year there were a couple of them, then more. The year after that, I had a whole woodpile full of the friendliest chipmunks you ever saw, all of them capable of taking peanuts out of your hands. After that they got in my attic, and cleaned out all the eggs in my birdhouses too. About the time they were wearing their welcome a little thin, the big, long bull snake started moving into the woodpile too. Within a month or two there wasn't a chipmunk to be found. I've never tamed them since. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Crone - 05-30-2011

What's the difference between chipmunks and squirrels? I always called the little bushy tailed critters chipmunks, until I moved to New York. Everyone teased me for calling squirrels chipmunks. Guess I should do a Google, eh? Confused

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 05-31-2011

(05-30-2011, 10:32 PM)Crone Wrote: What's the difference between chipmunks and squirrels? I always called the little bushy tailed critters chipmunks, until I moved to New York. Everyone teased me for calling squirrels chipmunks. Guess I should do a Google, eh? Confused

It's a fairly arcane difference. Chipmunks are small members of the squirrel family, that carry food in pouches in their mouth. I used to have it figured out which species I have here, but that's been years ago and I've forgot, or I'd post a picture. I think chipmunks are "cuter", probably because they're so much smaller than most squirrels I see, but that's surely subjective, too. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chipmunk

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 05-31-2011

There are lots of chipmunks at the Newberry Crater National Monument near Bend. I would sit at one of the picnic table in the parking lot area and they would eat out of my hand. Lots of people used to feed them.

The Last time I was there, a sign had been posted that read Please do not feed the chipmunks or ground squirrels. These animals when fed by humans during the summer do not teach their young how to forage for food in the wild. When visitors no longer visit during the winter, these animal often die a slow painful death from starvation.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 05-31-2011

(05-30-2011, 10:32 PM)Crone Wrote: What's the difference between chipmunks and squirrels? I always called the little bushy tailed critters chipmunks, until I moved to New York. Everyone teased me for calling squirrels chipmunks. Guess I should do a Google, eh? Confused

No actually you should try getting out more.Laughing

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 05-31-2011

Liburn taught me that squirrel stew is something you don't want to pass up. But, he didn't feed me any chipmunks. So, I have no way to compare.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tia - 05-31-2011

(05-30-2011, 09:57 PM)illcommandante Wrote: My robin feeds on the worms from my gardens. But, he stops to visit when I go outside. And now, I catch him watching me from outside. I can almost walk him like he's on an invisible leash. He building a nest for his honey. I don't know if it'll be his lady from last year, or? I have no idea how robins work it out. But, they know a lot about us.

Not a robin or a blue jay, but a crow:

RE: What's in your garden? - Crone - 05-31-2011

(05-31-2011, 08:30 AM)Tia Wrote: Not a robin or a blue jay, but a crow

Amazing..... Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-08-2011

All my melon plants died. I believe it was the cold damp weather that got to them. I have several friends with gardens and they told me that their cantaloupes and watermelon starts also died so it really does seem to be weather related.

I will try to find more starts today and plant again. I am waiting for my garden to recover from the cold before I post a photo. Then as is our custom here, I will ask TV to post a photo of his garden so that you can all compare. Big Grin

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 06-08-2011

Your melons "Damped Off". Try again. Melons like to grow in a rich load of compost. I start with a big empty pit. Don't count on anything. Some years they are great here, and others, not so great.

RE: What's in your garden? - blondemom - 06-08-2011

I have tomatoes, cucumbers and radishes.

RE: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 06-08-2011

(06-08-2011, 07:57 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 05:59 AM)cletus1 Wrote: All my melon plants died. I believe it was the cold damp weather that got to them. I have several friends with gardens and they told me that their cantaloupes and watermelon starts also died so it really does seem to be weather related.

I will try to find more starts today and plant again. I am waiting for my garden to recover from the cold before I post a photo. Then as is our custom here, I will ask TV to post a photo of his garden so that you can all compare. Big Grin

My melons have also withered on the vine. Daddy O said I'm lookin fine. Love that man. Off to Greenleaf tomorrow.

RE: What's in your garden? - Crone - 06-08-2011

(06-08-2011, 07:59 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote: My melons have also withered on the vine. Daddy O said I'm lookin fine. Love that man. Off to Greenleaf tomorrow.

Thumbs UpWinkBig Grin

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-08-2011

(06-08-2011, 07:59 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 05:59 AM)cletus1 Wrote: All my melon plants died. I believe it was the cold damp weather that got to them. I have several friends with gardens and they told me that their cantaloupes and watermelon starts also died so it really does seem to be weather related.

My melons have also withered on the vine. Daddy O said I'm lookin fine. Love that man. Off to Greenleaf tomorrow.
Umm, in another thread I asked if you were a man. You know, that I know that you are not. I just cant believe that you are so cool and a woman too.Big Grin

RE: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 06-08-2011

(06-08-2011, 08:12 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(06-08-2011, 07:59 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote:

Umm, in another thread I asked if you were a man. You know, that I know that you are not. I just cant believe that you are so cool and a woman too.Big Grin

RE: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 06-17-2011

(05-22-2011, 09:53 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'm not a gardener. I don't have any live plants in my home. But I am trying my luck at some Roma and Beefsteak Tomatoes and Zucchini Squash just to see if I can do it. They're in little pots waiting to sprout. I guess I'm supposed to transplant them into the dirt out front after they get a good start. I guess! Smiling

My Roma tomatoes are sprouting like crazy; the Beefsteak tomatoes are taking their time. The Patty Pan squash is really doing well; the Zucchini squash is barely peeking through. All in all, so far, I'm pleased with how things are looking! Big Grin

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 06-21-2011

If you don't hear from me, I drowned getting my pump in the river.

RE: What's in your garden? - Scrapper - 06-21-2011

(06-21-2011, 04:51 PM)illcommandante Wrote: If you don't hear from me, I drowned getting my pump in the river.

How long should we wait before sending help?

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 06-21-2011

I think it would be more like floating some flowers in memory past the spot or something.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 06-23-2011

Today I will finish weeding the garden. It looks really nice except for the beer bottles laying in the rows from yesterdays workathon.Smiling

The celery is not doing to well but everything else has taken off. There are flowers on the eggplants and peppers and small tomatoes and zucchinis already on the plants.