RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 07-11-2011

(07-11-2011, 02:50 PM)Jesus Christ Wrote: Well Clete that looks simply wonderful. Wish I had that kind of space for a veggy garden. There is a vacant lot that cant be built on a few blocks away , landslide area. I was thinking about asking the owners if I could cultivate it for veggies.
Doesn't Berkley have any community gardens? Perhaps the owner of that vacant lot would be open to allowing one if you were to make a proposal.

There are plenty of community gardens in SE Portland. When I lived there I assisted my friend that had a vegetable garden in one. The City of Portland has also set aside some plots in neighborhood parks. Gardening can be a lot of work though.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 07-11-2011

In a landslide area you should get a very smooth running rototiller.

RE: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 07-11-2011

Cletus The hills are a pretty private and expensive affair , if I got permission at all I would have to wire fence the area and grow veggies and berries that are not as yummy as far as deer are concerned. It is a slight chance I might be able to get permission. I have enough sun for a row of tomatoes and a potato patch at the old home as well as boysenberry vines along the fence . I have been digging up the volunteer thornless and planting them along the fence . These vines go back 35 years plus. I will take some picks once I clean up the yard a bit more. I am moving raspberries over this next December depending on when the cold sets in and things go dormant. Tomorrow it is the neighbors wild yellow rose I have to tackle. I hate that thing . Our transparent apples are ripening on now . The late rains seem to be affecting the apple trees they are dropping a lot of fruit.

RE: What's in your garden? - Simon Peter - 07-11-2011

Not in the garden....in the freezer.

[Image: IMG_9997.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - bbqboy - 07-11-2011

I can't believe someone would actually preserve blackberry plants.

Are those the real wild blackberry berries Simon Peter ?

i cheated and picked a friends thornless patch.

(07-11-2011, 03:40 PM)bbqboy Wrote: I can't believe someone would actually preserve blackberry plants.
Huh ? If your referring to me ..... it is interesting we have wild European blackberries that grow like weeds , then there are these small thorned berries that reverted from some of the plant we originally planted and then a thornlless boysenberry that is highly productive and pain free.

Southern Oregon is nothing but 1 giant blackberry thicket. If there is a more miserable plant, I don't know what it is.

(07-11-2011, 03:46 PM)Simon Peter Wrote: i cheated and picked a friends thornless patch.

I could be wrong but I don't the wild ones don't have ripe berries yet.

Quote:BBQ... I can't believe someone would actually preserve blackberry plants.

Do you mean berries? why not they are delicious.

(07-11-2011, 03:52 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Southern Oregon is nothing but 1 giant blackberry thicket. If there is a more miserable plant, I don't know what it is.

Stinging nettle, kudzu

(07-11-2011, 03:52 PM)tvguy Wrote: I could be wrong but I don't the wild ones don't have ripe berries yet.

The wild ones around the house are just turning red. The salmon berries an thimble berries are ripe now.

RE: What's in your garden? - blondemom - 07-11-2011

(07-11-2011, 03:52 PM)bbqboy Wrote: Southern Oregon is nothing but 1 giant blackberry thicket. If there is a more miserable plant, I don't know what it is.

poison oak

(07-11-2011, 03:56 PM)Simon Peter Wrote:
(07-11-2011, 03:52 PM)tvguy Wrote: I could be wrong but I don't the wild ones don't have ripe berries yet.

The wild ones around the house are just turning red. The salmon berries an thimble berries are ripe now.

Yeah that's what I thought. I just cleared a bunch of blackberries that were taking over my photenia bushes and I still have the cuts to show for itSad

We used to go up to the Applegate in August I believe and walk in the river picking the berries. You can get a lot of berries fast that way and the ones near the water are fat and juicy.

(07-11-2011, 04:00 PM)blondemom Wrote:

poison oak

you might be right, but my yard was never filled with poison oak.

(07-11-2011, 04:00 PM)blondemom Wrote:

poison oak

Good answer and in the east it's poison ivy. Fortunately Poison oak doesn't seem to grow on the valley floor and is no where near as invasive as blackberries.

My sister got poison oak rash while peeing in the woods ,she would shower with hot water for relief. Don't ask me how , I don't think she was stoned , but she went and did it again a year or two later.

found some inland blueberries too.

[Image: bb.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 07-11-2011

(07-11-2011, 03:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Stinging nettle, kudzu
Puncture vine (goathead)

[/quote]

Stinging nettle, kudzu
[/quote]

We pick the young nettles and dry them for tea. I do not like them though when they attack me for no reason.