RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

Re: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 04-28-2009

Cometmom Wrote:TV, how do your tomatoes do in the plastic pots? I planted my cherry tomato in one last year and it didn't do too well. My back yard is a city backyard so not much space for a real garden. When we lived in the country, I had a nice little plot. DH won't dig up the grass for a garden Sad

I don't know why your plants didn't do too well. Black pots or buckets can get too hot or maybe your soil didn't drain well?

Instructions
Difficulty: Moderately Easy
Things Youâ??ll Need:

* Ties and stakes
* Organic potting mix
* 4 to 6 gallon pot
* Seedlings from a nursery

Step1
Use ties and stakes to prevent plants from flopping over and damaging the fruit. Place the stake at the same time you plant the seedling to avoid damaging roots down the road.
Step2
Use a pot that holds 4 to 6 gallons of soil. Plastic, fiberglass and foam all work well and these materials won't let water evaporate quickly from the roots, but any kind of container will do, from a terra cotta planter to a garbage can. Just make sure it has drainage holes in the bottom (use a hammer and a nail to create them in a plastic or metal bucket).
Step3
Buy organic potting mix instead of using dirt from the garden to avoid transferring diseases or pests to your plant. Check the soil daily to see if it's dry, and keep it consistently moist. Position the pot so it gets at least six hours of sun daily.
Step4
Start with seedlings from a nursery (instead of seeds), This will help shorten the time for fruit to mature. The time to plant them is early June. Purchase indeterminate varieties, which produce tomatoes throughout the season rather than all at once.
Ads by Google

Here is some information on how to grow tomatoes in containers
or large pots.

First you can go to your local garden center and pick out your favorite

tomatoes that you would want to plant into containers. There are many

tomatoes that you can grow in containers. Here are a few that you can grow in

containers Cherry Tomatoes Tumbling Tom Red, Tumbling Tom Yellow,

Sweet Baby Girl Hybrid, Sweet Million, And here are some other Tomatoes

that you can raise and grow in pots early tomatoes Fourth of July, Early Girl

Hybrid, Heirloom tomatoes that you can try in pots Big Rainbow, Pineapple,

Moneymaker,Celebrity,Better bush, There are many others that you can try

but these are a few that I think would be good varieties to try.

Now how to plant the Tomatoes in containers. First you need for the larger

tomatoes a larger container either a 3 gallon pot or larger it depends on what size tomato you are growing in a pot. Like Big Rainbow, or Pineapple tomatoes a larger container should be used. If you are growing Cherry Tomatoes you

can grow them in 10 inch Hanging Baskets. Now you need a good potting soil like Pro Mix and MiracleGro Potting Soil. These would be great soils to use

for growing your tomatoes in containers. Now get your pot and one tomato plant and fill the pot with potting soil and then plant the tomato plant in the middle of the pot in the larger growing tomatoes you should only plant one plant per container. After you have your plant planted in a container you should water the plant well in. Now you need to buy a good Tomato fertilizer

You can buy a fertilizer for Tomatoes like Miracle Gro for Tomatoes.

Doing the growing season keep your Tomatoes Plants water and fertilize

And you may have to stake your Tomatoes.

I hope this helps you in growing Tomatoes in pots and I hope you let me know if you try this with your own tomatoes.

Happy Gardening

Re: What's in your garden? - Cometmom - 04-28-2009

Gee thanks TV Surprisedops:

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-28-2009

[Image: HPIM0225.jpg]

[Image: HPIM0227.jpg]

Lord Ganesha in the background blessing my seedlings and a photo of some of my seed trays. I plants lots because some seeds never germinate. TVguy, see the Okra?

Hey TV, do you have any idea why my photos are being chopped? How do you fix it? I still use Photobucket.

Re: What's in your garden? - RobinBird - 04-28-2009

maybe if you reduce the image size prior to posting it, the whole thing will show up. Maybe there's not enough room?

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-28-2009

Those will freeze just as easily as tomatoes. Wink[/quote]

What will freeze as easily as tomatoes? You don't garden much do ya? Dry Wink
I have had to clean the snow of of my Broccoli and peas and no harm was ever done to the plants. Frost resistant does not mean freeze proof, but it takes a serious freeze to kill those plants. They have been in the ground for almost a month and the temperature has been below freezing several times. Those plants are still healthy. FYI, tomatoes would have been killed, read TVguy's post.[/quote]

It's hard to make out that plant. Lupines are a bit like that.

I could be wrong but I think Robin was referring to the plant that looks like whacky weed when she said it will freeze just as easy as tomatoes.

I does look a little like a pot plant Laughing

[Image: cletersweed.jpg][/quote]

It's hard to make out that plant. Lupines are a bit like that but it doesn't look quite like a Lupine. It's hard to tell.

Re: What's in your garden? - RobinBird - 04-28-2009

I'm pretty much positive it's not a lupine. Their leaves are more prolific and more delicate.

Well, I got some more bell peppers, a tomatillo that's currently trying to keel over, some basil, dill and flat leaf parsley, and....oh yeah a yellow squash! I also want a cucumber. We'll see if there's room.

I think the plant in my photo is a type of Phlox.

cletus1 Wrote:Hey TV, do you have any idea why my photos are being chopped? How do you fix it? I still use Photobucket.

Robin is right you have to reduce them before you post, that is how I posted the pic of your garden and why it isn't chopped Wink . I guess you know that your PB account is not set to private?

BTW.. I reduced your photo to 50% of it's original size

This one I reduced by 50% with the paint program.

you've reaLLY GOT IT GOING ON
., nICE FERGIN CAPS LOCK.

[Image: HPIM022550.jpg]

tvguy Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:Hey TV, do you have any idea why my photos are being chopped? How do you fix it? I still use Photobucket.

Robin is right you have to reduce them before you post, that is how I posted the pic of your garden and why it isn't chopped Wink . I guess you know that your PB account is not set to private?

BTW.. I reduced your photo to 50% of it's original size
Yup, I forgot to re-size the photos before posting. And my account is set to private now. Thanks Wink

RobinBird Wrote:I'm pretty much positive it's not a lupine. Their leaves are more prolific and more delicate.

Well, I got some more bell peppers, a tomatillo that's currently trying to keel over, some basil, dill and flat leaf parsley, and....oh yeah a yellow squash! I also want a cucumber. We'll see if there's room.
I am voting Lupine. How much you want to lay down RB? Razz I have had Lupines and that plant looks familiar. I will bet you a shiny new lupine. How's bout it??????? Laughing Wink

Cometmom Wrote:I am voting Lupine. How much you want to lay down RB? Razz I have had Lupines and that plant looks familiar. I will bet you a shiny new lupine. How's bout it??????? Laughing Wink
It's not a lupine I have lots of them both wild and cultivated. But I gave erroneous info because it is not the plant that I thought it was. The Phlox is on the other side of the garden. That plant is a voodoo plant. It stinks like hell. Laughing
http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/h ... ton16.html

Quote:Yup, I forgot to re-size the photos before posting. And my account is set to private now. Thanks

OK well good, I just though you meant it to be open because the only pics were ones you posted anyway, I have three accounts with PB, two are tied to my ebay ID, one for buying and one for selling and then I had to open another for posting Places like here.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-28-2009

cletus1 Wrote:
Cometmom Wrote:I am voting Lupine. How much you want to lay down RB? Razz I have had Lupines and that plant looks familiar. I will bet you a shiny new lupine. How's bout it??????? Laughing Wink
It's not a lupine I have lots of them both wild and cultivated. But I gave erroneous info because it is not the plant that I thought it was. The Phlox is on the other side of the garden. That plant is a voodoo plant. It stinks like hell. Laughing

Whoa. That is a SCARY looking plant.

tvguy Wrote:
Quote:Yup, I forgot to re-size the photos before posting. And my account is set to private now. Thanks

OK well good, I just though you meant it to be open because the only pics were ones you posted anyway, I have three accounts with PB, two are tied to my ebay ID, one for buying and one for selling and then I had to open another for posting Places like here.
Yeah there was nothing there that I did not post, but I occasionally put stuff in there that I might not want everyone to see. I usually delete technical photos and other stuff after I am done with it, but I had forgotten that it was open to the public.

cletus1 Wrote:
Ok, so you mislead us by saying it gets flowers. You are a tease Wink

Anyhoo...has anyone tried growing tomatoes in a hanging basket upside down? I think I am going to try to use one of those recycle bags from the grocery store. They are only a buck and it's the same material as in the kits you buy. Pictures to follow.

Re: What's in your garden? - Tia - 04-29-2009

Cometmom Wrote:
cletus1 Wrote:
Ok, so you mislead us by saying it gets flowers. You are a tease Wink

Anyhoo...has anyone tried growing tomatoes in a hanging basket upside down? I think I am going to try to use one of those recycle bags from the grocery store. They are only a buck and it's the same material as in the kits you buy. Pictures to follow.

How did 'flowers' mislead you? And are you making a home made tomato kit?

Re: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 04-29-2009

[Image: HPIM0227.jpg]

I'm just playing. Here is a re sized photo.