RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 09-06-2011

I visited God's community plot, this morning. We'll start picking in a little over a week. I think I'll just throw the wood cook stove in the trailer, and haul it to berry camp.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 09-07-2011

(09-05-2011, 10:34 AM)Scrapper Wrote: You have a beautiful garden, Cletus! Very nice!

Thank you Scrapper and TM. Today I will till up the spot where the potatoes were harvested from to prepare it for planting garlic. The watermelons are finally ripe so I will post a photo when I cut some up.

It is going to be a warm one today, I plan to be out of the garden by noon. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 09-07-2011

Next "Ten Pound Beef Sale"? at Sentry, and I dig the potatos and the carrots, and thaw some of the corn. Time to get canning that stew for The Great Depression.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 09-08-2011

Today's haul from the melon patch. Those little watermelons are a yellow fleshed variety and very sweet.

[Image: Hempcantaloupes002.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 09-08-2011

Tomorrow we yard sale all the way to the huckeberries at Ten Mile Lake. Maybe we'll get something nice to can, on the way back through Winston.

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 09-08-2011

(09-08-2011, 05:57 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Today's haul from the melon patch. Those little watermelons are a yellow fleshed variety and very sweet.

Snip...

Anyone ever tell you you have nice melons? Laughing

RE: What's in your garden? - Crone - 09-08-2011

(09-08-2011, 08:54 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(09-08-2011, 05:57 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Today's haul from the melon patch. Those little watermelons are a yellow fleshed variety and very sweet.

Snip...

Anyone ever tell you you have nice melons? Laughing

[Image: lolcompwl7.gif]

RE: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 09-11-2011

My corn is starchy and the carrots bitter. Why? Second year.

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 09-11-2011

do you mean it's the second year you've grown these vegetables in this locations? Or are they the second generation of the first set of vegetables?

RE: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 09-11-2011

second year in the location.

I'm not very scientific about gardening. Cletus might have better thoughts. I do know Corn can deplete the ground. There's a local forum for gardening.roguevalleygardener.comhttp://www.roguevalleygardener.com/They might be able to answer your questions.

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 09-11-2011

I don't know about the carrots, but if you leave the corn on the stock too long it get starchy.

(09-11-2011, 07:39 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I don't know about the carrots, but if you leave the corn on the stock too long it get starchy.

True.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 09-11-2011

(09-11-2011, 07:16 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I'm not very scientific about gardening. Cletus might have better thoughts. I do know Corn can deplete the ground. There's a local forum for gardening.roguevalleygardener.comhttp://www.roguevalleygardener.com/They might be able to answer your questions.
I can't help because I do not grow corn. However, here are some things to consider when selecting the variety of corn you decide to plant and why corn can be starchy.

Robert Cox, Colorado State University Cooperative Extension horticulture agent

Ask a gardener about the real reason to grow a garden and you'll likely get a two-word answer: Sweet corn.

Though corn requires plenty of space in the vegetable garden, it is hard to beat its taste and tenderness, especially when freshly-picked.

The key to high quality sweet corn is rapid growth, adequate soil moisture and nutrients, and harvesting the ears at optimum maturity.

Sweet corn kernels can be yellow, white, or both of these colors on the same ear (bicolor). The level of sucrose (sugar) in the kernels determines the corn's sweetness. In most cases, however, sucrose is rapidly converted to starch if the corn is not cooked, frozen or refrigerated just after harvest. Starches make the corn less tender and less sweet. In most of the newer "sugar-enhanced" or "super-sweet" varieties, this conversion to starch is slowed so ears remain in optimum condition longer.

Corn is monoecious (mon-ee-shuss) which means that there are both male and female flowers on each corn plant. In some monoecious plants, male and female parts are in the same flower. In corn, male and female flowers are in different locations - the male flowers form a tassel which is at the top of the plant. The female flower is located at the junction of leaves and stem. It consists of a collection of hairs (silks) enclosed in the husks of what will become the ears. These silks are pollen-receiving tubes. Wind-blown pollen from the male flowers (tassel) falls on the silks below. Each silk leads to a kernel, and pollen must land on all silks for the ear to fill out completely with kernels. Kernel "skips" (ears only partly filled out with kernels) often are the result of poor pollination.

On a corn seed packet, you may find a short genetic abbreviation which describes the type of sweet corn; different types require different cultural conditions:

1) "Normal" sweet corn (su) - Kernels contain moderate but varying levels of sugar, depending on variety. Sugars convert to starches rapidly after harvest.

2) "Sugar-enhanced" (se, se+, or EH) - Genes in this type modify the su gene, resulting in increased tenderness and sweetness. Additionally, conversion of sugar to starch is slowed.

3) "Super-sweet" or "Xtra-sweet" (sh2) - This gene, (sh short for shrunken), creates greatly increased sweetness and slow conversion of starch. The dry kernels (seeds) of this type are smaller and shriveled.

Sweet corn requires rich soil with ample nitrogen and moisture. Even good garden soils may need some fertilizer to produce a top-quality crop. Aged manure and/or compost, mixed well into the soil, is helpful. Growing corn in an area that had healthy beans or peas the previous year is helpful because these legumes contribute more nitrogen to the soil. Cornstalks growing with ample moisture and in well-prepared, fertile soil can be expected to produce two ears per stalk.

Plant corn about May 10 in the Denver area or when soils reach a temperature of at least 50 degrees F. Corn seed will not germinate in colder soils, decaying instead. The Xtra sweet varieties require even warmer soil, at least 60 degrees F. You can warm soil by covering with black plastic and punching holes through it to plant seed. The rate at which corn grows is heavily influenced by warm soil and air temperatures.

Plant two or three seeds 12-15 inches apart, in rows 30-36 inches apart. Shorter, earlier varieties can be spaced somewhat closer. Plant seeds one to one-and-one-half inches deep, except for Xtra sweet varieties, which should only be planted three-fourths an inch deep. If both or all three seeds in a spot germinate, thin out the poorer seedlings, saving the best plant from each spot. Isolate Xtra sweet varieties from all other types of sweet corn; cross pollination with other types can result in tough, starchy kernels.

http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/VegFruit/corn.htm

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 09-12-2011

(09-11-2011, 11:58 PM)cletus1 Wrote: Growing corn in an area that had healthy beans or peas the previous year is helpful because these legumes contribute more nitrogen to the soil.
http://www.coopext.colostate.edu/4dmg/VegFruit/corn.htm

I've read about people that grow beans in among their corn, so that the beans grow up and use the corn for support, at the same time as providing nitrogen to the ground. I can't say that I ever tried this though.

RE: What's in your garden? - illcommandante - 09-12-2011

Some carrots are more bitter than others, but it's not likely you found seeds for any of those models. Maybe you need to let them just sit a little to sweeten up. Thay can go orange before they put on the sugar.

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 09-12-2011

They get sweeter after a frost, too.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 09-17-2011

I harvested 10 of the larger Crimson Sweet Watermelons from the garden yesterday. I gave one, and some other produce to a friend out in Ruch and he gave me a leg of lamb and a shoulder roast as a return gift. I really scored on the exchange.

The wife and SIL have canned 60 plus jars of whole tomatoes and will do more today. I am so glad that some of the stuff is slowing down especially the zukes and cukes. I have cut back on watering the Jalapenos and Serrano peppers to concentrate the capsaicin and make them hotter. Man I love my garden. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 09-17-2011

[Image: harvestcanning003.jpg]
[Image: harvestcanning002.jpg]

The end is near. I see autumn equinox celebrations along with some harvest festivals followed by an October fest in my future.

RE: What's in your garden? - Crone - 09-17-2011

There must be such a satisfaction in this, Cletus!
The only thing I can compare it to is getting all the firewood cut
and stacked in preparation for the cold weather.
Good on you!