RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 11-09-2011

(11-09-2011, 07:59 AM)Wonky Wrote:
(11-09-2011, 07:35 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(11-08-2011, 05:43 PM)PonderThis Wrote: Nice. A winter garden!
Yup very cool. Broccoli and cauliflower will grow in the winter too. I have brushed snow off broccoli plants when I harvested in December.

And Ponder, I have posted photos from the Internet many times.Dry I dont know why, but I could not post the one TVguy posted.

I wonder if Ponder is aware of the kind of tone his post revealed? Not offensive, but a little like life on the playground.
My guess is he whipped if off without noticing that tone. I know how to do that, and guilt is my most common emotion.

No, even after rereading it, Ponder doesn't see evidence of any kind of tone. Ponder seems blind to emotion very often. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Valuesize - 11-09-2011

(11-09-2011, 08:29 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
Yup very cool. Broccoli and cauliflower will grow in the winter too. I have brushed snow off broccoli plants when I harvested in December.

And Ponder, I have posted photos from the Internet many times.Dry I dont know why, but I could not post the one TVguy posted.

I wonder if Ponder is aware of the kind of tone his post revealed? Not offensive, but a little like life on the playground.
My guess is he whipped if off without noticing that tone. I know how to do that, and guilt is my most common emotion.

No, even after rereading it, Ponder doesn't see evidence of any kind of tone. Ponder seems blind to emotion very often. Smiling
Value doesn't see evidence of any kind of tone either. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 11-09-2011

Tvguy could be wrong but think Wonky was referring to this........... Cletus, I remember when I asked you for advice on posting pictures, because I thought you might be a kindred soul. I had no idea you really didn't know how.

The "tone" of it could be considered laughing at Cletus for being a dumbass who couldn't post a pic, although I don't think it was. I knew Cletus actually could. I would think Ponder should have known also.

Since you guys want to make such a big deal out of analyzing this post, let me replay this for you. Cletus said he couldn't show the picture. TV said he could, but when I first saw TV's forum post, he had a picture of their logo showing instead of the pepper one. I posted my reply with the pepper picture showing properly, which might have lent context to my post. However, by the time I posted it, TV had corrected his post to show the correct picture too. That made my post look kind of stupid, so I edited out the picture. I'd have deleted the whole post if the forum software let me do that, which it won't. I'll go back to putting in Mary Had A Little Lamb for deleted posts if you guys like that better. Smiling

There, over-analysis enough? I could go into this deeper if anyone would like. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Wonky - 11-09-2011

(11-09-2011, 10:26 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Since you guys want to make such a big deal out of analyzing this post, let me replay this for you. Cletus said he couldn't show the picture. TV said he could, but when I first saw TV's forum post, he had a picture of their logo showing instead of the pepper one. I posted my reply with the pepper picture showing properly, which might have lent context to my post. However, by the time I posted it, TV had corrected his post to show the correct picture too. That made my post look kind of stupid, so I edited out the picture. I'd have deleted the whole post if the forum software let me do that, which it won't. I'll go back to putting in Mary Had A Little Lamb for deleted posts if you guys like that better. Smiling
g
There, over-analysis enough? I could go into this deeper if anyone would like. Smiling

Easy Ponder.
It was a rather casual observation. Thing is, we don't see facial expressions here so it's like playing poker blindfolded.
I didn't think it was egregious. Like TVg suggested, it seemed a bit like you were suggesting Clete is a dumb ass. Of course he is! Hell man, we have all know that for years. He is also suffering a mourning period after the loss of his dog. The right side of his brain was removed and donated to a evil Russian spy. So, given all this, he is kind of sensitive now.

Send him some roses (long stem) Swiss chocolate, and a nice perfumed card. It's almost disgusting how "easy" he is. Laughing

Peace in the valley?

Sorry if I over reacted and offended you. Not sorry enough to send your sorry ass long stem roses, but...

Hey, I really do remember when I was so dumb I didn't know how to post pictures, and I thought so highly of Clete's advice I sent him a pm asking for help. For some reason he didn't respond that time. Since then we've met, and I like him fine. I thought it was OK to gently nudge him over the picture. If I thought everything out about who might possibly happen to become offended by whatever, it would take away my creativity and spontaniousness. I used to take drugs to make me nice like that, I took them for 7 years. But I like how I am now better, sorry if there sometimes are victims. I don't mean it that way. But I gotta be me, too. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 11-09-2011

(11-09-2011, 10:26 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Since you guys want to make such a big deal out of analyzing this post, let me replay this for you.

You guys? big deal? I gave my opinion of what Wonky's post was probably referring too and why he thought what he thought. I was right. Wonky quoted one post and was talking about another. He does that because of sunspots and that steel plate in his head and because he drinks gin all day and all night.

All you had to say was you didn't mean to have a tone like Wonk implied.
If anyone made a big deal out of anything maybe it was you.

Next time just say...... JEEZE CLETUS WHAT A FREAKING DOOFUS!!!

RE: What's in your garden? - TennisMom - 11-10-2011

(11-09-2011, 10:03 AM)tvguy Wrote: The "tone" of it could be considered laughing at Cletus for being a dumbass who couldn't post a pic, although I don't think it was. I knew Cletus actually could. I would think Ponder should have known also.

What is wrong with not knowing how to post a picture? Some of the best people in the whole world don't know how to do that. It isn't indicative of being a dumb ass. People shouldn't be judged on whether or not they can post a picture.
Besides, I don't know how to do it either. EmbarrassedLaughing

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 11-11-2011

(11-10-2011, 03:31 PM)TennisMom Wrote:
(11-09-2011, 10:03 AM)tvguy Wrote: The "tone" of it could be considered laughing at Cletus for being a dumbass who couldn't post a pic, although I don't think it was. I knew Cletus actually could. I would think Ponder should have known also.

What is wrong with not knowing how to post a picture? Some of the best people in the whole world don't know how to do that. It isn't indicative of being a dumb ass. People shouldn't be judged on whether or not they can post a picture.
Besides, I don't know how to do it either. EmbarrassedLaughing

TM, YOU DUMBBASS!!!!!RazzRazzRazz

Of course I'm kiddingSmiling Actually no one said anyone was a dumbass. I said doofus, that's a lot different and of course I was kiddingRazzWink

If not knowing how to do something makes you a dumbass then we all qualify.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 11-11-2011

You guys are funny. I only made a smirky face at Ponder for ribbing me. I dont feel tone. I'm mostly attitude tone deaf on the forum which is a good thing to be. Smiling

I did not plant garlic this October. I was indecisive about doing it, so procrastination opened up some more space for spring planting.

I just finished tearing off most of the pole beans plants from the fence. It took a long time because the vines wrapped around almost every square in the wire orchard fence. My friend suggested training the beans next year to climb twine that can be hung from a top wire along the fence every half foot or so. Removing the dead plants in the fall is done by simply cutting down the twine. I have seen that done in gardens and will try it next year.

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 11-11-2011

(11-11-2011, 04:39 PM)cletus1 Wrote: You guys are funny. I only made a smirky face at Ponder for ribbing me. I dont feel tone. I'm mostly attitude tone deaf on the forum which is a good thing to be. Smiling

I did not plant garlic this October. I was indecisive about doing it, so procrastination opened up some more space for spring planting.

I just finished tearing off most of the pole beans plants from the fence. It took a long time because the vines wrapped around almost every square in the wire orchard fence. My friend suggested training the beans next year to climb twine that can be hung from a top wire along the fence every half foot or so. Removing the dead plants in the fall is done by simply cutting down the twine. I have seen that done in gardens and will try it next year.

Don't you have a propane weed burner?

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 11-11-2011

Someone from the city had their eye on some mattress springs I'd burned the mattresses off of, they'd seen in some gardening magazine about growing beans or peas, I don't remember which, on those instead, thinking old mattress springs looked artsy (and, hicklike too, maybe). They never did come with a pickup though and I finally threw them in the recycle bin at the dump.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 11-11-2011

(11-11-2011, 05:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(11-11-2011, 04:39 PM)cletus1 Wrote: You guys are funny. I only made a smirky face at Ponder for ribbing me. I dont feel tone. I'm mostly attitude tone deaf on the forum which is a good thing to be. Smiling

Don't you have a propane weed burner?
Someone else suggested that I burn the vines off too. I suppose a propane torch for starting fires might work and I know that it would be a good tool for starting brush piles on fire, that and a blower. I will see if I can get one cheap at Harbor Freight.Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 01-27-2012

So, who's good at propagating early seeds for transplant. i try every year, but have very minimal success. I've tried a variety of techniques, with little luck. I'm feeling like getting a grow light is my only option left.

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 01-27-2012

Have you tried starting them on top of the waterheater? That sometimes works pretty good. I'd suggest a piece of foam floating in a dish of water, and put the seeds inside paper towels on top of that. Or, or you talking after that? South-facing windows, warm greenhouses, and lights are the next steps up. Or, a cold frame. I've used those to good effect too.

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 01-27-2012

(01-27-2012, 12:00 AM)Tiamat Wrote: So, who's good at propagating early seeds for transplant. i try every year, but have very minimal success. I've tried a variety of techniques, with little luck. I'm feeling like getting a grow light is my only option left.

I agree a light is a good option unless you have a real greenhouse. I plan to start my specialty peppers from seed on March 1st. I have had some luck putting them in windows, but I will probably give the starts to my friend with a heated and vented greenhouse to get them going for me till I can put them in my small greenhouse. I can then grow them for outdoor transplant myself. I would only have to put a heater in it if their is danger of frost. I only start plants from seed when healthy starts are not available. I assume you want to grow heirloom tomatoes again huh?Smiling

(01-27-2012, 07:48 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(01-27-2012, 12:00 AM)Tiamat Wrote: So, who's good at propagating early seeds for transplant. i try every year, but have very minimal success. I've tried a variety of techniques, with little luck. I'm feeling like getting a grow light is my only option left.

I agree a light is a good option unless you have a real greenhouse. I plan to start my specialty peppers from seed on March 1st. I have had some luck putting them in windows, but I will probably give the starts to my friend with a heated and vented greenhouse to get them going for me till I can put them in my small greenhouse. I can then grow them for outdoor transplant myself. I would only have to put a heater in it if their is danger of frost. I only start plants from seed when healthy starts are not available. I assume you want to grow heirloom tomatoes again huh?Smiling

You know I only grew one or two heirlooms last year...I'm ok with hybrids. I go with hybrid peppers. I just like to compare. But actually, I'm just trying to get a jump on my cool weather stuff, bok choy, lettuce, cabbage, spinach. But I struggle because they just don't seem to get enough light, so t hey never develop secondary leaves. Every year I just end up with buying starts, even though every year, I stupidly try and start seeds.

(01-27-2012, 07:47 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Have you tried starting them on top of the waterheater? That sometimes works pretty good. I'd suggest a piece of foam floating in a dish of water, and put the seeds inside paper towels on top of that. Or, or you talking after that? South-facing windows, warm greenhouses, and lights are the next steps up. Or, a cold frame. I've used those to good effect too.

I can get them to sprout. I have an electric blanket under the planter. It doesn't make the soil hot, but it warms it a bit. But, then I get stuck. No matter what window I try, I fail. I don't have a greenhouse. So, it just seems like lights are the only real answer here.

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 01-27-2012

Well, with enough 1000 watt metal halides you can grow anything. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Wonky - 01-27-2012

Mud.