RogueValleyForum.com
What's in your garden? - Printable Version

+- RogueValleyForum.com (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum)
+-- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=68)
+--- Forum: The Lounge (https://www.roguevalleyforum.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=22)
+--- Thread: What's in your garden? (/showthread.php?tid=3997)

RE: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 02-16-2012

Rocks can be so hard to come by, Tiamat you are soooooo funny. LOL. We have piles of river rock. At one time the Applegate river came through our property and rock is everywhere.

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 02-16-2012

One friend of mine came up with the idea of getting everyone that came to visit her to bring a rock at the same time - any size, just a rock. Her idea was that she would pile them into a mound, and over time, she would accumulate a large pile of rocks that represented the love everyone had brought her that had visited over the years.

It was a cute idea, and I tried to accommodate it. But the truth is rocks are heavy, especially for ones of any consequence (like I wanted to bring), and after 3 or 4 rocks I quit doing it. Everyone else did too, I don't think they lasted as long as me.

Someone else might have better luck with this idea though. Smiling

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 02-16-2012

(02-16-2012, 04:30 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote: Rocks can be so hard to come by, Tiamat you are soooooo funny. LOL. We have piles of river rock. At one time the Applegate river came through our property and rock is everywhere.

Here in the ghetto.Eyebrows

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-04-2012

[Image: birds-eye-chilis.jpg]
I just put a bunch of these seeds into pots with seed starter mix. You can read about them here. http://growingchillies.net/easy-to-grow-chili-birds-eye-chilis/

RE: What's in your garden? - Tiamat - 03-04-2012

I still am in a war with bamboo. I know Applegate laughs, but here in the hood, there is no river running through with rocks in it, so I'm always looking for a source of good size rocks. I found one! On the railroad track! Right down from the Mission, so I don't think anyone wants them. They are river rock, so they must have been dumped there long ago for whatever reason, but I'm raiding it! It's half under weeds, so whoever put them there must have done it long ago. So I will put them to use! To build beds! And in the beds I managed to get in some lettuce, onions and cabbage!

RE: What's in your garden? - APPLEGATE - 03-04-2012

P M me if you need rock....LOL FREE!!!!!

RE: What's in your garden? - Clone - 03-04-2012

(03-04-2012, 07:02 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I still am in a war with bamboo. I know Applegate laughs, but here in the hood, there is no river running through with rocks in it, so I'm always looking for a source of good size rocks. I found one! On the railroad track! Right down from the Mission, so I don't think anyone wants them. They are river rock, so they must have been dumped there long ago for whatever reason, but I'm raiding it! It's half under weeds, so whoever put them there must have done it long ago. So I will put them to use! To build beds! And in the beds I managed to get in some lettuce, onions and cabbage!

w00t!

RE: What's in your garden? - Yeshuah Hamashiach - 03-04-2012

Bamboo sucks and yet people still plant it.

(03-04-2012, 07:15 PM)APPLEGATE Wrote: P M me if you need rock....LOL FREE!!!!!

No PM necessary. I'd love to have but I just can't go get it.Big Grin

RE: What's in your garden? - tvguy - 03-04-2012

(03-04-2012, 07:19 PM)Yeshuah Hamashiach Wrote: Bamboo sucks and yet people still plant it.

I love it. It's pretty and tropical looking all year long. It grows thick enough for privacy.
I live in a desert. It only grows where I water it. I don't have to worry about it spreading except it did grow right through the rubber liner of my pond. I don't care it doesn't leak.
The pup likes it tooBig Grin

That's all bamboo growing up in to the willow and I've carved a tunnel through it that goes from my pond to the garden, I don'y have any pictures of that. It's pretty cool and I think it even cools the air in the summer when a breeze goes through.

[Image: garden2010zxz-1.jpg]

[Image: lolainbamboo.jpg]

[img][/img]
[Image: 100_0539.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - cletus1 - 03-04-2012

(03-04-2012, 09:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(03-04-2012, 07:19 PM)Yeshuah Hamashiach Wrote: Bamboo sucks and yet people still plant it.

I love it. It's pretty and tropical looking all year long. It grows thick enough for privacy.
I live in a desert. It only grows where I water it. I don't have to worry about it spreading except it did grow right through the rubber liner of my pond. I don't care it doesn't leak.

That's all bamboo growing up in to the willow and I've carved a tunnel through it that goes from my pond to the garden, I don'y have any pictures of that. It's pretty cool and I think it even cools the air in the summer when a breeze goes through.

[img][/img]
Nice photos. I also like a lush green secluded border around my house. I assume that there is a house somewhere in there.

Quote:Nice photos. I also like a lush green secluded border around my house. I assume that there is a house somewhere in there.

Yeah somewhere, I thinkRazz all that growth is actually on the north east side of the house. I do have trees along the driveway on the south west side that I have spent years watering and taking care of but now I plan on putting some solar stuff on the roof and they will be a problemSad

This is the other side , the far sideRazz

[Image: pond.jpg]

RE: What's in your garden? - PonderThis - 03-04-2012

I have bamboo surrounding a commercial piece of property that adjoins a residential neighborhood, and it makes a great screen that completely changes the character of the intersecting areas. It's a 10' wide barrier of bamboo held inside the heaviest duty of plastic liner material. If I remember right now the barrier extends downward about 30" and above ground another 6".

(03-04-2012, 09:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:

[img][/img]

I'm on the other end of the spectrum, laying tarp over the bamboo I cut down to kill it. It's really, really difficult to cut down too,because no matter how short you cut it, there are spikes coming up that are like daggers...it's really dangerous.

These are the trees I planted that may be a problemSad

[Image: driveway.jpg]

OK, That's it, TV, I'm just gonna have to start posting pictures of my dog.

Quote: Tia... I'm on the other end of the spectrum, laying tarp over the bamboo I cut down to kill it. It's really, really difficult to cut down too,because no matter how short you cut it, there are spikes coming up that are like daggers...it's really dangerous.

I bet this would work. It's a mini mattox. I have a bigger one but I really like this small one. It doesn't tire you out so much. I think I got it at Sears, I do remember that it was really cheap, I think about 12 bucks

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQefeOEeJJYlElFyRUGCX2...o3Pq4bSm4Z]

(03-04-2012, 10:05 PM)tvguy Wrote:
Quote: Tia... I'm on the other end of the spectrum, laying tarp over the bamboo I cut down to kill it. It's really, really difficult to cut down too,because no matter how short you cut it, there are spikes coming up that are like daggers...it's really dangerous.

I bet this would work. It's a mini mattox. I have a bigger one but I really like this small one. It doesn't tire you out so much. I think I got it at Sears, I do remember that it was really cheap, I think about 12 bucks

[Image: images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQefeOEeJJYlElFyRUGCX2...o3Pq4bSm4Z]

What I do, TV is cut them as close to the ground as I can then tarp them. I'd probably chop off my toe with that thing. I can't see myself ever actually try to pull the stuff, it's so dense and thick and really hard. I have a lot of bamboo poles cut now. It's harder to trim to size when it's old though.

(03-04-2012, 09:57 PM)tvguy Wrote: These are the trees I planted that may be a problemSad

[Image: driveway.jpg]

Are those some kind of birch?

(03-04-2012, 10:16 PM)Tiamat Wrote: [quote='tvguy' pid='180999' dateline='1330923478']
These are the trees I planted that may be a problemSad

Are those some kind of birch?

No they're poplars, Their indigenous to around here I think. You just stick branches in the ground and water and they grow, really fast. A lot of people don't like them and claim they are too brittle.
That's probably true if you don't take care of them. I've had them around my hose for over 25 years and never had one fall and damage anything.
And I get tremendous winds out here. I think the hard winds MAKES them grow strong.
You can trim and shape them tooBig Grin....[Image: poplarsatpool.jpg]