What is this object?
I have no idea what it's made out of but it stands 5 1/2" tall by 4" wide and it weighs 16.8 pounds. Surprised Anyone know what it is? Is it worth money? Laughing We are spring cleaning (a bit late) and the boss lady says it needs to go. Big Grin

[Image: scaled.php?server=35&filename=sam2474a.jpg&res=landing]

[Image: scaled.php?server=52&filename=sam2475.jpg&res=landing]
(07-15-2012, 03:52 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I have no idea what it's made out of but it stands 5 1/2" tall by 4" wide and it weighs 16.8 pounds. Surprised Anyone know what it is? Is it worth money? Laughing We are spring cleaning (a bit late) and the boss lady says it needs to go. Big Grin

[Image: scaled.php?server=35&filename=sam2474a.jpg&res=landing]

[Image: scaled.php?server=52&filename=sam2475.jpg&res=landing]

Those pots were popular amount the pioneers who settled the West. The kept them until they had a window.
Not one person has seen this before? Any guesses then?

[Image: scaled.php?server=580&filename=sam2490y.jpg&res=landing]

[Image: scaled.php?server=856&filename=sam2489s.jpg&res=landing]
window weight.
Wonky, though flippant(he taught me the trade),
was correct. Big Grin
(07-16-2012, 08:56 PM)bbqboy Wrote: window weight

Too big for that. I would guess what it's still good for. Anchor.
(07-16-2012, 08:58 PM)Larry Wrote:

Yeah, every window weight I ever saw was tube shaped had a hole to tie the rope , was not painted and was cast iron.
It's not lead is it? If not it's pained iron? I was thinking it was one of the weights that went on the front of a small tractor or tiller or some thing that needed weight. Counter balance.

Now I'm wondering if it could be a military projectile. For everyone except Larry and OL, that means a big ass bullet
On third though I think it is a sash window weight.

I found one similar.

[Image: 737000-lg.jpg]
Artillery Shell
[Image: fairhope-civil-war-artillery-shelljpg-48...49dc2e.jpg]
a weight? A mold?
Or the top of a fire hydrant.
[Image: firehydrant.jpg]
(07-16-2012, 08:58 PM)Larry Wrote:

No Larry!
Thing is, when you have a pot to piss in you are okay if you have a window (Winder as we say at home) to throw it out of.
What we do know, is that the fish oil is worthless.
(07-16-2012, 10:22 PM)chuck white Wrote: Artillery Shell
[Image: fairhope-civil-war-artillery-shelljpg-48...49dc2e.jpg]

I don't think so. This one in the picture is from the civil war. Plus I'm not sure but isn't there a hole all the way through the one VS showed?
(07-17-2012, 07:08 AM)illcommandante Wrote: What we do know, is that the fish oil is worthless.

Laughing

When a fifty something man has a three year old daughter, he listens to his wife and takes that fish oil. A happy wife is a happy life... Laughing
(07-17-2012, 07:23 AM)tvguy Wrote: Plus I'm not sure but isn't there a hole all the way through the one VS showed?

The hole goes down the center 4 of its 5 inches.
(07-16-2012, 09:31 PM)tvguy Wrote: It's not lead is it? If not it's pained iron? I was thinking it was one of the weights that went on the front of a small tractor or tiller or some thing that needed weight. Counter balance.

Now I'm wondering if it could be a military projectile. For everyone except Larry and OL, that means a big ass bullet

Its lead. I just pealed some of the side off with a paring knife, it's soft and shiny below the surface.

[Image: sam2494r.jpg]
So, does anyone buy lead? I remember making bullets and sinkers with my dad as a kid. Laughing
I'm sure Sesslers does in White City. Looking online for prices, I see a place in Spokane WA that pays 5-25 cents a pound for scrap lead, depending on whether they say there's iron contaminates in it or not, and they sell scrap lead for 85 cents a pound. http://www.earthworksrecycling.com/prices/index.html
(07-17-2012, 09:26 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I'm sure Sesslers does in White City. Looking online for prices, I see a place in Spokane WA that pays 5-25 cents a pound for scrap lead, depending on whether they say there's iron contaminates in it or not, and they sell scrap lead for 85 cents a pound. http://www.earthworksrecycling.com/prices/index.html

It's now called Schnitzer Steel since about 15 years agoLaughing

I have a lot of lead, a couple hundred ponds or so. I've checked It's only worth about 10 cents a pound, not much different than prepared iron. I don't know why it's so low when a car battery is worth about 30 cents a pound.
I always go to White city metal, by ave A. They're honest, pay well and the place is organized and clean.
Your lead could be pure soft lead or has an allow mixed in. The way to tell is to drop in on the concrete. If it's soft lead it will just make a thud sound. If it's not it will have a little ring to it.