Did You Know That....
...No word in the English language or the refined installment of the Oxford Dictionary rhymes with orange, purple, month or silver. ...
....You actually can't hum while you're holding your nose closed. Try it out for yourself!
...Remember when your mom scolded you for cracking your knuckles? "You're knuckles will get fat and you'll get arthritis!" Cracking your knuckles is actually beneficial for your bones. The sound is made by bursting gas bubbles.
.....Statistics and research show an individual is more likely to die on their way to buy a lottery ticket than they are to actually win the lottery.
(12-25-2012, 06:55 PM)Clone Wrote: ...Remember when your mom scolded you for cracking your knuckles? "You're knuckles will get fat and you'll get arthritis!" Cracking your knuckles is actually beneficial for your bones. The sound is made by bursting gas bubbles.

Not quite.

You won't get arthritis, but you may end up with decreased grip strength in old age.

But the crack is from the release of gas built up in the joint... which is why you have to wait between knuckle cracks. The gas has to build back up.
I've never been able to crack my knuckles (actually I don't think I ever wanted to or tried either), and the sound of someone doing it grosses me out. It's as bad as chalk on a blackboard for me.

EDIT: This made me research this. While I can't find a specific name for this phobia, I'm not the only one. These people feel exactly the same way as I do: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38992
(12-25-2012, 06:51 PM)Clone Wrote: ...No word in the English language or the refined installment of the Oxford Dictionary rhymes with orange, purple, month or silver. ...

(12-25-2012, 06:53 PM)Clone Wrote: ....You actually can't hum while you're holding your nose closed. Try it out for yourself!

(12-25-2012, 06:55 PM)Clone Wrote: ...Remember when your mom scolded you for cracking your knuckles? "You're knuckles will get fat and you'll get arthritis!" Cracking your knuckles is actually beneficial for your bones. The sound is made by bursting gas bubbles.

(12-25-2012, 06:58 PM)Clone Wrote: .....Statistics and research show an individual is more likely to die on their way to buy a lottery ticket than they are to actually win the lottery.

Fever eh? Razz Big Grin

Hope you feel better real soon dear. Wink
(12-25-2012, 07:05 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I've never been able to crack my knuckles (actually I don't think I ever wanted to or tried either), and the sound of someone doing it grosses me out. It's as bad as chalk on a blackboard for me.

EDIT: This made me research this. While I can't find a specific name for this phobia, I'm not the only one. These people feel exactly the same way as I do: http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=38992

I don't have quite the same opinion about knuckles, but I understand the neck cracking aversion. It weirds me out.

But, now that you mention it, knuckle popping IS a weird sound.
...The next time you're tired and let out a yawn, touch your tongue. It's impossible to yawn if you touch your tongue! ..
(12-25-2012, 07:38 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Hope you feel better real soon Wink

Thank you, Valuesize!

Were the girls pleased with Santa's gifts?
(12-25-2012, 07:02 PM)csrowan Wrote:

you may end up with decreased grip strength in old age.

But it doesn't matter, 'cause you don't need it.....
(12-25-2012, 07:05 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I've never been able to crack my knuckles (actually I don't think I ever wanted to or tried either), and the sound of someone doing it grosses me out. It's as bad as chalk on a blackboard for me.

My ex feels this way. And a couple other women I know....
One possible explanation given was empathy for the pain it sounds like someone else is going through.
Just be glad you've never heard me crack my neck. If I have my mouth open, it acts like an amplifier.
(12-25-2012, 09:50 PM)Larry Wrote:

It doesn't gross me out. I don't crack my knuckles. I do however crack the space between my femur and hip socket which seems to be a 'female' thing. Dunno. It makes a loud sound though. I get really uncomfortable after a few hours, like at a movie theatre or upon waking and do that. So, sue me.Big Grin
(12-25-2012, 09:58 PM)csrowan Wrote: Just be glad you've never heard me crack my neck. If I have my mouth open, it acts like an amplifier.

Okay. I'm glad I never heard you crack your neck. Big Grin
Now that I think about it, it does sound like bones breaking to me, and I do squirm because it sounds like someone being harmed right next to me.
If it helps, cracking my neck feels goooooooood. It's like there's a built up tension that's being released.
(12-25-2012, 10:06 PM)csrowan Wrote: If it helps, cracking my neck feels goooooooood. It's like there's a built up tension that's being released.

There are other methods, you know.
For instance, a nice warm shower and lather can work miracles.
Oh, or, a massaging shower head.....Eyebrows

I never learned how to pop my neck nor my femur...I guess I've really lost out. Smiling
(12-25-2012, 10:00 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(12-25-2012, 09:50 PM)Larry Wrote:

It doesn't gross me out. I don't crack my knuckles. I do however crack the space between my femur and hip socket which seems to be a 'female' thing. Dunno. It makes a loud sound though. I get really uncomfortable after a few hours, like at a movie theatre or upon waking and do that. So, sue me.Big Grin

?? misunderstandings abound... None of it bothers me. I said those sounds BOTHER some women, not that women doing it was bothersome...