Television Shows!
Clone, that's pretty funny and I was never, ever a Hee-Haw fan.

Man from U.N.C.L.E.
Secret Agent

In my high school yearbook, every kid's favorite show seemed to be "Alias Smith and Jones". I don't think I ever watched that one. I liked "Family" with James Broderick and Sada Thompson.

McHale's Navy

Oh, as for the Star Trek program, one day they showed out-takes of how many times those 'magic doors' didn't open properly. It was very funny watching Captain Kirk bump his nose so many times. And nobody got hurt!
Currently watching Neil Gaiman's Neverwhere.
Just watched two Dexters. Might as well finish the series.
Woooo hooo! Happy this starts tonight and sad it's ending. I'm actually really glad they are ending it, because so many shows run longer than they should, going out with a whimper rather than a shout, but still....Sad

I had to quit it. The thought of hundreds of shows to watch to get caught up was too daunting. Big Grin
(08-11-2013, 09:22 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I had to quit it. The thought of hundreds of shows to watch to get caught up was too daunting. Big Grin

Can't win everyone. For me it's one of the best shows in television history. I only have about 4 or 5 shows I watch fairly consistently and that's too many to keep up with. I'm not easy to please.
Just saw the first new episode of breaking bad. It was pretty good.
(08-11-2013, 10:13 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-11-2013, 09:22 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I had to quit it. The thought of hundreds of shows to watch to get caught up was too daunting. Big Grin

Can't win everyone. For me it's one of the best shows in television history. I only have about 4 or 5 shows I watch fairly consistently and that's too many to keep up with. I'm not easy to please.

Tia, I've been thinking about your "best show in TV history" comment, and given that we all have different tastes, but knowing you are a "discerning" consumer of all things filmed, taped, or otherwise recorded, I'm curious about your take on this. I'm not suggesting you defend it, mind you, just looking back over the years and wondering...
My own take on it (for what's it worth, and that's not much) is I really enjoyed the well defined characters and acting! Really good IMHO. But the story just didn't work all that well for me. (Not like "Sound of Music" or "Born Free" LaughingLaughingLaughing )
I do like that we are wondering if Walter White is a good guy gone bad or a bad guy all along who is exposed by circumstance. It just seems to me the plot line went off the charts.

Anyone remember "Peter Gun" (Gunn)?
Playhouse 90?
Mission Impossible?
Mash?
NYPD Blue?
West Wing?
The Shield?
The Sopranos?
Planet Earth?
The Roger Miller Show? Embarrassed

Jus' sayin' Tia, we've had some good stuff in the past. But hey...
(08-12-2013, 07:38 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Tia, I've been thinking about your "best show in TV history" comment, and given that we all have different tastes, but knowing you are a "discerning" consumer of all things filmed, taped, or otherwise recorded, I'm curious about your take on this. I'm not suggesting you defend it, mind you, just looking back over the years and wondering...
My own take on it (for what's it worth, and that's not much) is I really enjoyed the well defined characters and acting! Really good IMHO. But the story just didn't work all that well for me. (Not like "Sound of Music" or "Born Free" LaughingLaughingLaughing )
I do like that we are wondering if Walter White is a good guy gone bad or a bad guy all along who is exposed by circumstance. It just seems to me the plot line went off the charts.

Playhouse 90?
Mission Impossible?
Mash?
NYPD Blue?
West Wing?
The Shield?
The Sopranos?
Planet Earth?

Hey Wonky did you watch it from the beginning?

Mash was corn pone but fun. Mission Impossible today would never fly. NYPD blue has to be near the top of all time best cop shows.
The Sopranos was great but it had holes in it. I remember so many times watching the whole show and going what the hell? That episode sucked canal water.
M*A*S*H may have had some cornpone, but it was also an amazingly poignant series. I have the first four seasons on DVD (need to get the rest), and one of the cool things is that you can turn the laugh track off. Watch it like that and tell me its cornpone, I dare you. Especially the episode filmed in black and white as a news report interviewing the doctors, nurses and patients. Or the episode filmed entirely from the point of view of a patient. Or the episode where it starts at one New Years with a toast "Here's to the new year. May she be a damn sight better than the old one and may we all be home before she's over." and ends on the next New Years with the exact same toast. Or the episode of everyone's nightmares. Or the episode where Henry goes home and his chopper is shot down. Or was that Trapper?
Oh tell me you didn't catch an episode of "Naked and Afraid!" On Discovery?
(08-12-2013, 08:51 PM)csrowan Wrote: M*A*S*H may have had some cornpone, but it was also an amazingly poignant series. I have the first four seasons on DVD (need to get the rest), and one of the cool things is that you can turn the laugh track off. Watch it like that and tell me its cornpone, I dare you. Especially the episode filmed in black and white as a news report interviewing the doctors, nurses and patients. Or the episode filmed entirely from the point of view of a patient. Or the episode where it starts at one New Years with a toast "Here's to the new year. May she be a damn sight better than the old one and may we all be home before she's over." and ends on the next New Years with the exact same toast. Or the episode of everyone's nightmares. Or the episode where Henry goes home and his chopper is shot down. Or was that Trapper?

You're right it wasn't all corn pone. Many episodes were excellent and it had some great actors. IMO It ran too long and became boring and too often just silly and to me it clearly jumped the shark.
(08-12-2013, 08:53 PM)Prospector Wrote: Oh tell me you didn't catch an episode of "Naked and Afraid!" On Discovery?

?? Can't say I did.

Quote:M*A*S*H may have had some cornpone, but it was also an amazingly poignant series. I have the first four seasons on DVD (need to get the rest), and one of the cool things is that you can turn the laugh track off. Watch it like that and tell me its cornpone, I dare you. Especially the episode filmed in black and white as a news report interviewing the doctors, nurses and patients. Or the episode filmed entirely from the point of view of a patient. Or the episode where it starts at one New Years with a toast "Here's to the new year. May she be a damn sight better than the old one and may we all be home before she's over." and ends on the next New Years with the exact same toast. Or the episode of everyone's nightmares. Or the episode where Henry goes home and his chopper is shot down. Or was that Trapper?

Mash was a great show. It might have run too long. I think it's only cornpone in terms of a cultural time lens. At the time I don't think it was corny, only when we look it at and see it seems dated sometimes.

Playhouse 90?
Mission Impossible?
Mash?
NYPD Blue?
West Wing?
The Shield?
The Sopranos?
Planet Earth?

Uhmmmmm, well, Wonky, I was referring to present television shows not past ones. That's a different topic. I said ONE of the best shows in history and so what? Why doesn't it stand in the same list as the shows you listed above. You must have listed all of them for having great merit. What's your question?

And I don't think you're watching Breaking Bad, nor have watched it from beginning to end, or you wouldn't even say or ask those things. Is Walter White a bad guy or a good guy? What? How can you even ask that?
(08-13-2013, 08:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Playhouse 90?
Mission Impossible?
Mash?
NYPD Blue?
West Wing?
The Shield?
The Sopranos?
Planet Earth?

Uhmmmmm, well, Wonky, I was referring to present television shows not past ones. That's a different topic. I said ONE of the best shows in history and so what? And I don't think you're watching Breaking Bad, nor have watched it from beginning to end, or you wouldn't even say or ask those things. Is Walter White a bad guy or a good guy? What? How can you even ask that?

Yeah, I'm famous for misreading stuff.
But...
From your comment in Post # 46, above:
" For me it's one of the best shows in television history"

When we first meet Walter White he is a law abiding husband, father, HS Science teacher, and for all we know a stand-up guy.
But wait...there's more!
This good guy goes bad when end of life stuff pops up.
And now we understand he was never really a good guy.

Tale of Two Cites it ain't.
(08-13-2013, 11:15 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(08-13-2013, 08:18 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Playhouse 90?
Mission Impossible?
Mash?
NYPD Blue?
West Wing?
The Shield?
The Sopranos?
Planet Earth?

Uhmmmmm, well, Wonky, I was referring to present television shows not past ones. That's a different topic. I said ONE of the best shows in history and so what? And I don't think you're watching Breaking Bad, nor have watched it from beginning to end, or you wouldn't even say or ask those things. Is Walter White a bad guy or a good guy? What? How can you even ask that?

Yeah, I'm famous for misreading stuff.
But...
From your comment in Post # 46, above:
" For me it's one of the best shows in television history"

When we first meet Walter White he is a law abiding husband, father, HS Science teacher, and for all we know a stand-up guy.
But wait...there's more!
This good guy goes bad when end of life stuff pops up.
And now we understand he was never really a good guy.

Tale of Two Cites it ain't.

Really? Tale of two cities isn't a television show last I checked. But last I checked Breaking Bad was some fantastic character development. And your assessment is wrong again. He was a good guy. This is what makes interesting stuff.
But then I have to remember Wonky that you are all about story telling period. You've said so. Cinematography, character development, film tropes and treatment mean nothing to you. It's a straight forward wonderful story or it doesn't hold up. And it has to be a story you feel worthy of telling. If it doesn't you won't look. Even if it is a marvelous story, if it doesn't reach your standard, it's doomed.

Except in this instance you are wrong. I watch hardly any television. To my mind it all is awful. Breaking Bad is a bright light in a pond full of scum, but to you that's questionable.
(08-13-2013, 11:20 PM)Tiamat Wrote: But then I have to remember Wonky that you are all about story telling period. You've said so. Cinematography, character development, film tropes and treatment mean nothing to you. It's a straight forward wonderful story or it doesn't hold up. And it has to be a story you feel worthy of telling. If it doesn't you won't look. Even if it is a marvelous story, if it doesn't reach your standard, it's doomed.

Except in this instance you are wrong. I watch hardly any television. To my mind it all is awful. Breaking Bad is a bright light in a pond full of scum, but to you that's questionable.

Wow!
Easy girl.
I'm glad you like it. I'm not so glad you make judgements about my taste. We should be able to disagree about taste without rancor.
My Standards? I'm the guy who never missed "Route 66". Embarrassed
I'm not fond of root beer floats either, but don't have a problem with others enjoying them.
(08-13-2013, 11:28 PM)Wonky Wrote:
(08-13-2013, 11:20 PM)Tiamat Wrote: But then I have to remember Wonky that you are all about story telling period. You've said so. Cinematography, character development, film tropes and treatment mean nothing to you. It's a straight forward wonderful story or it doesn't hold up. And it has to be a story you feel worthy of telling. If it doesn't you won't look. Even if it is a marvelous story, if it doesn't reach your standard, it's doomed.

Wow!
Easy girl.
I'm glad you like it. I'm not so glad you make judgements about my taste. We should be able to disagree about taste without rancor.
My Standards? I'm the guy who never missed "Route 66". Embarrassed
I'm not fond of root beer floats either, but don't have a problem with others enjoying them.

No rancor, Wonk, you are incorrect. This isn't even about a single television show. I make no judgement about your tastes. Only your assessment. If your above assessment is what you came to, no wonder you can't appreciate it. We know you haven't kept up with it.

At any rate, what I say is true. I've suggested many a movie to you based on great story telling and had you tell me that you wouldn't be watching them because of what they were and you couldn't imagine good story telling to redeem them. Won't even try them. Here's the truth for me. I've never watched the Sopranos. I'm not interested. Right now. That doesn't mean it's not a great show in the line up of television history. It just means I haven't appreciated it.
Uppity women. Rolling Eyes Razz