Moderation (or lack thereof) and the future of it here
Good morning,

Many of you have probably noticed that the site has gone fully unmoderated lately. This is solely due to lack of time on my part.

At one point a couple of years ago, we added a moderator and things mellowed out for a while. At some point, someone publicly outed them on the site, and they were tracked down on social media and received a barrage of anonymous, threatening messages. This caused them to leave the site.

A few months ago, we tried again to add two moderators to the site. Over the course of 2 months, both were repeatedly targeted with hate mail, threats of physical violence, and repeated registrations from "new" users attempting to out their public identities. Understandably, both got sick of it and hung up their moderator hats.

In an average week, we have to deal with:
  • Over 100 new reports
  • 15 - 20 spammer registrations and clean-up
  • 1 or 2 manual registrations and password resets
  • 1 legal request (copyright/DMCA, libel, et al.)
  • Checking for, testing, and applying software updates and implementing fixes for them

Right now, this all falls on my shoulders, on top of having a more-than-full-time job, family, and other responsibilities. Quite simply, I don't have time to do it all, and something has to give – in this case, it’s moderation since the rest is a necessity to keep the site running.

As of today, I’m revising the community guidelines to reflect changes in our rules. Please review them here.

Thanks,

Kam