Coffee Roasting
(06-27-2014, 09:11 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 07:27 AM)Tiamat Wrote: I used to know some guys, back in the 80's who were building their own coffee roasting company. That was before coffee became so HUGE. They were on top of the trend before it became a trend. I guess they're still out there. http://diedrichroasters.com/

As for me, today I had forgotten my first method, to cold brew and had none around. So went to my second method: Boil 12 ounces of water. Put in 3 teaspoons of fresh ground coffee, (ground fine). Add a few shakes of cardamom. Keep on simmer for about 3 minutes and strain.

They make nice roasters. If or when the time comes, can you get me a deal? Big Grin

Regarding your brewing method, I think you may have some old Oregon pioneer blood flowing through body. Razz

I know that it is the basic technique behind Turkish coffee. It tastes fine. You'd think it be boiled to death, but I don't find it so. And it's not the same as the cold brew method. The only thing really different is I don't have the special little coffee pot with the long handle, and I don't make mine as strong.
(06-27-2014, 09:33 AM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 07:27 AM)Tiamat Wrote: I used to know some guys, back in the 80's who were building their own coffee roasting company. That was before coffee became so HUGE. They were on top of the trend before it became a trend. I guess they're still out there. http://diedrichroasters.com/

As for me, today I had forgotten my first method, to cold brew and had none around. So went to my second method: Boil 12 ounces of water. Put in 3 teaspoons of fresh ground coffee, (ground fine). Add a few shakes of cardamom. Keep on simmer for about 3 minutes and strain.

They make nice roasters. If or when the time comes, can you get me a deal? Big Grin

Regarding your brewing method, I think you may have some old Oregon pioneer blood flowing through body. Razz

I know that it is the basic technique behind Turkish coffee. It tastes fine. You'd think it be boiled to death, but I don't find it so. And it's not the same as the cold brew method. The only thing really different is I don't have the special little coffee pot with the long handle, and I don't make mine as strong.

And I don't think they strain Turkish coffee, they let it settle.
(06-27-2014, 09:53 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 09:33 AM)Tiamat Wrote:

And I don't think they strain Turkish coffee, they let it settle.

That's true.
Tiamat....I thought of you yesterday. I was searching online for a gift idea for my MIL and came upon a cold brew coffee set. It was basically a mason jar with a little bag of coffee. LOL
(06-27-2014, 06:03 PM)kadylady Wrote: Tiamat....I thought of you yesterday. I was searching online for a gift idea for my MIL and came upon a cold brew coffee set. It was basically a mason jar with a little bag of coffee. LOL

LaughingLaughing
(06-27-2014, 08:42 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(06-27-2014, 06:03 PM)kadylady Wrote: Tiamat....I thought of you yesterday. I was searching online for a gift idea for my MIL and came upon a cold brew coffee set. It was basically a mason jar with a little bag of coffee. LOL

LaughingLaughing
Big Grin Smiling Razz Smiling Big Grin
I tried my new BBQ roaster today. It performed perfectly. The beans are all roasted uniformly, which wasn't the case using the popcorn popper and iron skillet method and I could easily bring it to a dark roast that most people here in Timbuktu prefer. The photos of the roaster in action don't look any different than those I've posted not roasting, so I'm just posting the beans pics. The last photo is the best of the old roasting method. Big difference!

I'll update you on the flavor after the required rest period which depending on who you ask, is anywhere from one day too three or four. What is your theory on the rest time Homebrew4u?

[Image: DSCF2782_zps139d1aff.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2780_zps046c9bd8.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2403_zpsf1d2af87.jpg]
Did your neighbors come over asking for a cup of Joe after all the roasting was done? I bet it smelled good.
(06-28-2014, 08:59 PM)Jeep Wrote: Did your neighbors come over asking for a cup of Joe after all the roasting was done? I bet it smelled good.

It does smell good, but not until about the last 5 minutes does it smell like coffee. At first it smells like hay or maybe green tea?

I think everyone should try roasting it at least once. Just buy a pound of green beans at a local roaster or on Amazon, put half in a cast iron skillet on medium to medium-high heat and stir like crazy until they look like the coffee beans you drink now. It can really be that easy and done that inexpensively. It WILL be better than most, if not all store bought coffee you use.
(06-15-2014, 07:03 AM)Homebrew4u Wrote:
(06-15-2014, 05:55 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Valuesize's posts about his coffee roasting machine got me interested in the process. I discovered that their are classes and schools to learn the processes and certification for people that completed the training.

Last winter I took a tour of a Kona Coffee Roasting business at a coffee plantation on the big Island of Hawaii and found the process interesting. Making good coffee starts with selecting a good grade of green bean. I watched the bean sorting machines sort by size and learned how beans are graded. I don't plan to roast my own coffee but I would like to get any input from people that love coffee about the roasts they like and the beans they prefer.

BTW I came to the conclusion, right or wrong, that the high prices happily paid for the top grades of Kona coffee has more to do with the successful marketing of the coffee beans than a difference in quality of the beans from a taste perspective. In other words, I could not tell the difference between the $25 per pound grades and the $56 per pound grades of peaberry beans.

Valuesize, what kind of beans are you roasting and where do you get them?

I'm not Valuesize and don't want to step on toes but check this link http://www.sweetmarias.com/store/.
I've been roasting coffee for a long time and have always used Sweet Marias. The coffee buyer is the owner and he travels the world sourcing there beans from small farms. Quality is always top notch.
My roaster is a old air corn popper (poppery 2) get them on ebay
Enjoying a Costa Rican coffee this morning.
Hope this helps

Wife and I have been roasting for years. Similar story: We toured a Kona Plantation on the Big Island. The guide was so stoned, we thought, hey we could do this. Turns out, we can.

We started out with a small cylinder roaster. Cheap, and worked well but gave out after a year. Customer comments showed this to be a common result. So we invested heavy in a bad boy. We have this model now, although we got it for somewhat less.

http://morebeer.com/products/gene-cafe-c...fgoddqQA6Q

Works great. Industrial strength. Good size roasts. We've had this unit for over four years and it still works like a clock. Doesn't smoke much either.

Sweet Marias is definitely the go-to for green beans. Great prices. Exceptional variety. Green beans will keep for three years so we stock up when prices are low. The coffee is sensational. Unfortunately, roasting your own turns you into a coffee snob. It's dicey drinking coffee off of the ranch. As my dear sweet mother says, sometimes it's good to have poor taste. Well, cheaper anyway.

But roasting and brewing a quality cup in your own kitchen is not that tough. And in the long run, it's cheaper than buying Folgers. Really. Just don't be surprised if you find yourself ordering tea at your corner coffee shop.
For my 3rd try I roasted 3 lbs. of Papua New Guinea. It came out perfect. Yes, they really do look like they are made of chocolate. Big Grin

[Image: DSCF2812_zps78bcb8f6.jpg]
(07-04-2014, 04:54 PM)Valuesize Wrote: For my 3rd try I roasted 3 lbs. of Papua New Guinea. It came out perfect. Yes, they really do look like they are made of chocolate. Big Grin

[Image: DSCF2812_zps78bcb8f6.jpg]

JavaJabbers would be proud.
I love this shot of the beans in my cooling tray. (think sandbox sifter) If you look closely you can see a slight pattern (or not) to the beans caused by the fan on high speed they are sitting on cooling. This is the only part my kids enjoy of my roasting process. Big Grin I must admit to playing with them myself when the beans are not intended for sale. Smiling

[Image: DSCF3460_zpsdd6248eb.jpg]
I think I see Jesus.
(09-18-2014, 09:12 PM)Tiamat Wrote: I think I see Jesus.

Nope, it's Jebus.
Hey V/S, over 800 folks have clicked onto this thread.

Over 50 have make some kind of comment.

I think Starbucks is onto something. Ever thought of just buying roasted coffee?

OR?.....

[Image: 2zoviom.jpg]
(09-24-2014, 03:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:

OR?.....

Noooooo Waaaaay!SurprisedSurprisedSurprisedLaughing
(09-24-2014, 03:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:

OR?.....

Love this! Big Grin I may need to use this elsewhere....
(06-28-2014, 08:12 PM)Valuesize Wrote: I tried my new BBQ roaster today. It performed perfectly. The beans are all roasted uniformly, which wasn't the case using the popcorn popper and iron skillet method and I could easily bring it to a dark roast that most people here in Timbuktu prefer. The photos of the roaster in action don't look any different than those I've posted not roasting, so I'm just posting the beans pics. The last photo is the best of the old roasting method. Big difference!

I'll update you on the flavor after the required rest period which depending on who you ask, is anywhere from one day too three or four. What is your theory on the rest time Homebrew4u?

[Image: DSCF2782_zps139d1aff.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2780_zps046c9bd8.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2403_zpsf1d2af87.jpg]

This is Timbuktu? Who knew we were in West Africa? Unsure