Poll: Which do you prefer for pain? (arthritis)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Naproxen
0%
0 0%
Ibuprofen
100.00%
3 100.00%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Naproxen vs. Ibuprofen Poll
Since most of you (us) are older, which do you prefer for pain? (arthritis)

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/15229960
I cant take either one because of a conflict with other meds.
Ibuprofen. But when it's really bad... an Ibuprofen and Tylenol cocktail.
...and I can't take em because of my kidneys. Tylenol for me. Or norcos when things get too bad.
Thanks. The reason I'm asking is I haven't tried Naproxen and I was hoping someone used it and preferred it. They had a sample size for .88 so I picked some up. You just take one every 12 hours so that would be cool if it works. I'm just worried if it doesn't work I'd have to wait 12 hours to take something else. The study (link above) says they are about equal relieving pain, but that Naproxen scores higher for bedtime use so maybe I'll try it that way first and go from there.
(03-04-2015, 10:03 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Thanks. The reason I'm asking is I haven't tried Naproxen and I was hoping someone used it and preferred it. They had a sample size for .88 so I picked some up. You just take one every 12 hours so that would be cool if it works. I'm just worried if it doesn't work I'd have to wait 12 hours to take something else. The study (link above) says they are about equal relieving pain, but that Naproxen scores higher for bedtime use so maybe I'll try it that way first and go from there.

My wife says it eats the lining of your stomach. Also Her doctor says she can't have it because it's bad for kidneys or liver or something.

Naproxen Warnings

Naproxen may raise your risk for heart attacks and stroke. Heart and stroke risk is greater if you have a history of or risk factors for heart disease.

Naproxen may cause ulcers and bleeding in your gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Ulcer and bleeding risk is higher if you are elderly.

Because elderly people are more likely to have side effects, you should take the lowest possible effective dose if you are over age 65
Just stay away from those big pharma NASAIDS, and consider this alternative unless you are allergic to any of its ingredients: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplement...URMERIC%29
Curcumin (TURMERIC) Overview Information

Turmeric is a plant. You probably know turmeric as the main spice in curry. It has a warm, bitter taste and is frequently used to flavor or color curry powders, mustards, butters, and cheeses. But the root of turmeric is also used widely to make medicine.

Turmeric is used for arthritis, heartburn (dyspepsia), stomach pain, diarrhea, intestinal gas, stomachbloating, loss of appetite, jaundice, liver problems and gallbladder disorders.

It is also used for headaches, bronchitis, colds, lung infections, fibromyalgia, leprosy, fever, menstrual problems, and cancer. Other uses include depression, Alzheimer’s disease, water retention, worms, and kidney problems.

Some people apply turmeric to the skin for pain, ringworm, bruising, leech bites, eye infections, inflammatory skin conditions, soreness inside of the mouth, and infected wounds.

In food and manufacturing, the essential oil of turmeric is used in perfumes, and its resin is used as a flavor and color component in foods.

Don’t confuse turmeric with Javanese turmeric root (Curcuma zedoaria).

How does it work?

The chemicals in turmeric might decrease swelling (inflammation).
(03-04-2015, 02:16 PM)tvguy Wrote: My wife says it eats the lining of your stomach. Also Her doctor says she can't have it because it's bad for kidneys or liver or something.

Naproxen Warnings

Naproxen may raise your risk for heart attacks and stroke. Heart and stroke risk is greater if you have a history of or risk factors for heart disease.

Naproxen may cause ulcers and bleeding in your gastrointestinal (GI) tract. Ulcer and bleeding risk is higher if you are elderly.

Because elderly people are more likely to have side effects, you should take the lowest possible effective dose if you are over age 65

Yes, these warnings are the same for all NSAIDs.
(03-04-2015, 02:44 PM)tornado Wrote: Just stay away from those big pharma NASAIDS, and consider this alternative unless you are allergic to any of its ingredients: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplement...URMERIC%29

Turmeric is a plant. You probably know turmeric as the main spice in curry. It has a warm, bitter taste and is frequently used to flavor or color curry powders, mustards, butters, and cheeses. But the root of turmeric is also used widely to make medicine.

Turmeric is used for arthritis, heartburn (dyspepsia), stomach pain, diarrhea, intestinal gas, stomachbloating, loss of appetite, jaundice, liver problems and gallbladder disorders.

It is also used for headaches, bronchitis, colds, lung infections, fibromyalgia, leprosy, fever, menstrual problems, and cancer. Other uses include depression, Alzheimer’s disease, water retention, worms, and kidney problems.

Some people apply turmeric to the skin for pain, ringworm, bruising, leech bites, eye infections, inflammatory skin conditions, soreness inside of the mouth, and infected wounds.

In food and manufacturing, the essential oil of turmeric is used in perfumes, and its resin is used as a flavor and color component in foods.

Don't confuse turmeric with Javanese turmeric root (Curcuma zedoaria).

How does it work?

You or we have discussed this in the past. Back then I did try mixing a teaspoon with water everyday for about a month. I still eat a lot regularly in the Indian dishes I make. Unfortunately, whatever good it may do is not enough.

Quote:But the root of turmeric is also used widely to make medicine.

Do you know if you can buy this in medicinal form here or online?
(03-04-2015, 07:04 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 02:44 PM)tornado Wrote: Just stay away from those big pharma NASAIDS, and consider this alternative unless you are allergic to any of its ingredients: http://www.webmd.com/vitamins-supplement...URMERIC%29

Don't confuse turmeric with Javanese turmeric root (Curcuma zedoaria).

How does it work?

You or we have discussed this in the past. Back then I did try mixing a teaspoon with water everyday for about a month. I still eat a lot regularly in the Indian dishes I make. Unfortunately, whatever good it may do is not enough.

Quote:But the root of turmeric is also used widely to make medicine.

Do you know if you can buy this in medicinal form here or online?
Yes, it is available on line and at local health food stores. I've had great results from it.
(03-04-2015, 07:11 PM)tornado Wrote: Yes, it is available on line and at local health food stores. I've had great results from it.

Is it just sold as turmeric root?
(03-04-2015, 07:22 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-04-2015, 07:11 PM)tornado Wrote: Yes, it is available on line and at local health food stores. I've had great results from it.

Is it just sold as turmeric root?

A friend gave me a bottle a couple of years ago but I don't remember the brand. I'll find out soon and let you know. I believe there are some complimentary ingredients. I'm pretty sure she gets it at the health food store in the WINCO center in Medford. Call a health food or vitamin store in your town to see what they might have. I wish I could remember the brand name.

The single thing that has given me the most relief from joint pain is flax seed meal. I eat it every day with steel cut oats, almonds, sunflower and pumpkin seeds and some kind of berry.

Hippocrates – the father of medicine – stated, “Let your food be your medicine, and let your medicine be your food.

Good health to all!
What's wrong with aspirin ?
Turmeric is a wonderful and safe choice, It has helped me through some pain on various occasions.

Don't waste your time or money on cheap store brand crap Turmeric products either, full of fillers and exipients. This is one of the areas where you need to buy from a respected and reputable source. The key for effective Turmeric is the curcuminoids and tumerones it delivers in the dose, if the label does not say, don't buy it, it means they are not spending the $$ to have their material tested or it sucks and they don't want to advertise it.

I recommend and have experience with:

Zyflamend from New Chapter: A softgel loaded with several well known anti-inflammatory botanicals, including Turmeric.
http://www.newchapter.com/zyflamend/zyfl...whole-body

Herb Pharm makes several different Turmeric products in different forms.

NOW Foods is another good choice.
Thanks for the links. I searched and do have a few stores these are available but isn't it easier and cheaper to just eat more turmeric root? In any case, turmeric root isn't going to reduce the pain of grinding bones in both my knees.

I workout regularly, swim daily and bike as often as I can as these are the things that allow me to get through the day. None of them cause pain while doing, it's walking that I'm severely limited by pain. The Naproxen or Ibuprofen help me to walk a bit more.
(03-05-2015, 10:00 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Thanks for the links. I searched and do have a few stores these are available but isn't it easier and cheaper to just eat more turmeric root? In any case, turmeric root isn't going to reduce the pain of grinding bones in both my knees.

I workout regularly, swim daily and bike as often as I can as these are the things that allow me to get through the day. None of them cause pain while doing, it's walking that I'm severely limited by pain. The Naproxen or Ibuprofen help me to walk a bit more.

I would still suggest giving it a shot, you may be surprised, worst case it does nothing for you and you are out $20.

As far as eating Turmeric, nothing wrong w/ that. But the products listed are extractions of the roots, delivering a concentrated dose standardized for the curcumin (in most products anyway) For full therapeutic benefits you are better off supplementing.

Interestingly enough, A 2009 study in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found it worked as well as ibuprofen for osteoarthritis treatment of the knee in 107 patients.
more on that here:
http://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/10/19...oint-pain/
(03-05-2015, 10:38 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(03-05-2015, 10:00 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Thanks for the links. I searched and do have a few stores these are available but isn't it easier and cheaper to just eat more turmeric root? In any case, turmeric root isn't going to reduce the pain of grinding bones in both my knees.

I would still suggest giving it a shot, you may be surprised, worst case it does nothing for you and you are out $20.

As far as eating Turmeric, nothing wrong w/ that. But the products listed are extractions of the roots, delivering a concentrated dose standardized for the curcumin (in most products anyway) For full therapeutic benefits you are better off supplementing.

Interestingly enough, A 2009 study in The Journal of Alternative and Complementary Medicine found it worked as well as ibuprofen for osteoarthritis treatment of the knee in 107 patients.
more on that here:

In your last link the doc recommends 1,000 mg. Do you take that much? Many of the supplements have 200 or less but I found this brand that has 500. Have you heard of this one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EBG2FT8?psc=1
(03-05-2015, 10:58 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(03-05-2015, 10:38 AM)GPnative Wrote:

more on that here:

In your last link the doc recommends 1,000 mg. Do you take that much? Many of the supplements have 200 or less but I found this brand that has 500. Have you heard of this one?

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00EBG2FT8?psc=1

The products I have taken yield a daily dose of about 400mg.
I just checked one of my "go to" books for herbs/supplements and it suggests an adult daily dose of 400 to 600mg. Of course, I would not be afraid to take more if necessary for an acute issue such as yours, with the hope it would provide relief and then hopefully allow you to back it down to a maintenance dose. Although, I also start with the smallest possible dose any time I try a new supplement to make sure it is agreeable with me.

I have not heard of the product you linked to but after reading through it, it looks like a good choice, It has a lot going for it, the Bioperine is important as it helps with Turmeric absorption and I am personally a fan of supplements with the fewest additives/fillers possible, and hell it even comes with a free E-book Smiling
also, fyi, my book says to avoid concurrent use with NSAID's.
(03-05-2015, 11:34 AM)GPnative Wrote: also, fyi, my book says to avoid concurrent use with NSAID's.

In that case, I suspect I wouldn't feel the effects of the turmeric immediately so how many days or weeks would be a sufficient time to see if it works for me?