Assault With a Tongue
Normally I don't post these kind of stories, but I got nothing better to do right now. Also, I found this story more interesting after reading another article on Slate. This is the original article from Reason Magazine. Now I think a rough kiss could be assault. What do you think?

Teen Boy Kissed Girl on a Dare. Now He Faces Assault Charges.

Pikesville Middle School 13-year-old charge with second-degree assault.

Robby Soave|Sep. 11, 2015 4:37 pm

A Pikesville, Maryland, 13-year-old will be charged with second-degree assault for kissing a 14-year-old girl on a dare. The "assault" happened at Pikesville Middle School on Friday. Police were called to the scene.

According to WBFF:

Quote:School officials took a report regarding a 13-year-old boy who kissed a 14-year-old girl during school hours. The unwanted kiss was allegedly the result of a dare made by students.

Quote:Police confirm that the boy is now facing a second-degree assault charge as a juvenile. No one was injured during the incident, police say, and disciplinary actions related to suspension or expulsion will be handled by the school system.

No one was injured. Is that really surprising?

It's of course true that every 14-year-old has the right not to be kissed. I'm not saying the boy's transgression should go unpunished. What I'm saying is this: he should not be charged with assault. He's 13. Thirteen-year-olds do stupid stuff. They screw up. And when the consequences of their actions are as minor as this, it's better to reprimand them in a manner that does not involve the criminal justice system.

By all means, give this kid detention. Make him apologize to the girl. Tell his parents to teach him better manners. But don't charge him with assault. That would be a far greater crime than a stolen kiss.
A kiss = assault charges? Good thing he wasn't dared to pull her bra strap, he'd probably end up a registered sex offender.
What if he had kissed another guy, people might be more upset.
(09-15-2015, 11:36 AM)GPnative Wrote: A kiss = assault charges? Good thing he wasn't dared to pull her bra strap, he'd probably end up a registered sex offender.

Yeah, I mostly agree that the charges amount to overkill. I also see why (depending on how the kiss was delivered) some are not ready to minimize it too much. Here is another perspective from Slate with a "dramatic" photo:

[Image: 150915_boy.jpeg.CROP.promovar-mediumlarge.jpeg]
When is it assault, and when is it “boys will be boys?”
Consequences take many forms. For some teens, a punch to the eye or mouth might be less traumatic than a forced tongue in the mouth. Treating this boy’s invasion of personal space and bodily autonomy as less serious than any other assault would teach him and his peers that there’s a hierarchy of violence, and unwanted physical or sexual contact ranks low on the scale of severity.

Every account of the arrest I could find included what would appear to be a mitigating caveat: The boy kissed the girl on a dare. Besides the fact that blaming misbehavior on peer pressure is the oldest strategy in any middle-schooler’s survival guide, the framing of this assault as a dare distorts it into an accident of child’s play—one where every party is in on the game. It’s true that our country’s juvenile justice system is a tragic mess, but a misdemeanor second-degree assault charge isn’t likely to land this kid any jail time. An uneven application of the assault code could do far more harm in the long run.   
Quick, somebody dare me to rob a bank.
Good. The kids probably a little prick and very likely needs to understand there are consequences to doing stupid things, especially to another person and especially to a girl.

He's a minor the assault charge won't hurt him for life.

He's lucky to get off with a meaningless assault charge. Had that been my sister I would have beat his ass.
(09-15-2015, 02:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: Good. The kids probably a little prick and very likely needs to understand there are consequences to doing stupid things, especially to another person and especially to a girl.

He's lucky to get off with a meaningless assault charge. Had that been my sister I would have beat his ass.

Yep. Needs a glass of whup-ass. Assault? Beats me, never went to law school but when one invades another's personal space it's just plain wrong. And if the dude don't known when a girl WANTS to be kissed, he needs some serious attention. 
(09-15-2015, 02:27 PM)tvguy Wrote: Good. The kids probably a little prick and very likely needs to understand there are consequences to doing stupid things, especially to another person and especially to a girl.

To kiss your sister, would have to be more then a dare. There would have to be some money involved.
Laughing Laughing
This is not what you intended, but I believe it falls under the topic title in it's own way.

SILVERMAN: Comedians Should 'Change with the Times' for PC College Students...
http://www.mediaite.com/online/sarah-sil...-students/

University Seeks to Ban 'Expressions of Intolerance'...
http://www.mediaite.com/online/sarah-sil...-students/

I love that second one. Irony, anyone? "Banning Intolerance"?

Anyway... "Assault With A Tongue". That is what the Left in Acadamia are saying in order to kill the First Amendment.