Fake News
(12-09-2016, 10:56 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 09:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 09:07 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 07:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 07:17 PM)Big Rock Wrote: "Fake news" is an excuse for running a terrible, embarrassing campaign and losing. It's an ass-covering tactic to protect the idiots who ran Clinton's campaign and who need something to help them salvage their pathetic careers. In politics.
That's all it is.

If you believe that we have nothing more to discuss. I suspect fake news has been around as long as there has been news. Just a new name.

I agree with Cuzz on the surface.  It has been around forever, and it always ends the same way.  It is the beginning of the "need" for censorship.

This is how it begins, and some "speech" will be curtailed, for the "better good".

BEWARE of this "new" trendy idealism.

You are both wrong. SOCIAL MEDIA has NOT been around as long as there has been news.

You are proclaiming there is something new under the sun? Laughing

Early social media was, hanging around by the fire pit, sharing hunting stories and such.
(12-09-2016, 10:56 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 09:35 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 09:07 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 07:27 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-09-2016, 07:17 PM)Big Rock Wrote: "Fake news" is an excuse for running a terrible, embarrassing campaign and losing. It's an ass-covering tactic to protect the idiots who ran Clinton's campaign and who need something to help them salvage their pathetic careers. In politics.
That's all it is.

If you believe that we have nothing more to discuss. I suspect fake news has been around as long as there has been news. Just a new name.

I agree with Cuzz on the surface.  It has been around forever, and it always ends the same way.  It is the beginning of the "need" for censorship.

This is how it begins, and some "speech" will be curtailed, for the "better good".

BEWARE of this "new" trendy idealism.

You are both wrong. SOCIAL MEDIA has NOT been around as long as there has been news.

You are proclaiming there is something new under the sun? Laughing

It used to be called yellow journalism and has been around by that name since the 1890's. It's just lying so it's really older then the bible.

I wouldn't support censorship as a remedy either. We get what we deserve. I mean the "royal we" by that not any particular person here. I'm old enough to have lived through presidents I didn't like before and I'll live through this one. What I'm really curious about now is if trump will serve out a full term. Any predictions?
(12-09-2016, 11:21 PM)Cuzz Wrote: It used to be called yellow journalism and has been around by that name since the 1890's. It's just lying so it's really older then the bible.

I wouldn't support censorship as a remedy either. We get what we deserve. I mean the "royal we" by that not any particular person here. I'm old enough to have lived through presidents I didn't like before and I'll live through this one. What I'm really curious about now is if trump will serve out a full term. Any predictions?

It depends on two things happening before I can accurately predict. Will he or someone else release his taxes? And what he will come up with on Dec. 15th so there is no conflict of interest.
If it wasn't for fake news libs wouldn't have no news at all.

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2016/12/10/m...rty-422199

MSNBC host forced to apologize for reporting false story about Fox News’ Christmas party
(12-10-2016, 10:33 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: If it wasn't for fake news libs wouldn't have no news at all.

MSNBC host forced to apologize for reporting false story about Fox News’ Christmas party

And who would give a crap about that? You just make yourself look silly.
More fake lib news that has since been retracted. 

[Image: 1481324605827.jpeg]
(12-10-2016, 10:46 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(12-10-2016, 10:33 AM)orygunluvr Wrote: If it wasn't for fake news libs wouldn't have no news at all.

Your peeps and their fake news stories
(12-11-2016, 11:39 AM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Yep. Just  like that.
(12-11-2016, 11:47 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Yep. Just  like that.

Now that is BFD story if I ever heard one. It is a tact of the right to blame the left for whatever they themselves do. So far, it sorta works for them.

Here is something really important: Did you know that the pelican has a bill that can hold more fish than its belly can. Yes I'm drinking again. BTW, I think that was an Ogden Nash limerick so blame him.  Big Grin
(12-11-2016, 01:12 PM)cletus1 Wrote:
(12-11-2016, 11:47 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Yep. Just  like that.

Now that is BFD story if I ever heard one. It is a tact of the right to blame the left for whatever they themselves do. So far, it sorta works for them.

Here is something really important: Did you know that the pelican has a bill that can hold more fish than its belly can. Yes I'm drinking again. BTW, I think that was an Ogden Nash limerick so blame him.  Big Grin

A duck walks in to a store and asked for some chapstick

Clerk.. Are you going to pay cash?

Duck.... No , just put it on my bill.
Perhaps some of you would be more at home on this social media site. 

Promising no censorship, social network Gab draws 'alt-right'

[img=0x0]https://www.yahoo.com/sy/uu/api/res/1.2/Uj6_oNij2n7aO9bEs3pVLw--/YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/https://media.zenfs.com/creatr-images/GLB/2016-10-05/04fa4660-8b0f-11e6-8636-cbc0321bcf4b_AFP-logo.jpeg[/img]
Thomas URBAIN
AFPDecember 11, 2016

[Image: 678dc4a117fd9eb8a1a30ae9634c25b3d5705c24.jpg]View photos

As social media platforms crack down on hate speech, far-right activists are finding a home on new platform Gab (AFP Photo/JOSH EDELSON)

More

New York (AFP) - Squeezed out of Twitter and other social media websites cracking down on hate speech, far-right activists are finding a home on a new platform that promises never to censor content.

Launched in August, Gab has become known as a safe haven for the "alt-right" movement dominated by the white supremacists who are helping fuel America's deepening polarization.

The social network currently has 100,000 members and another 200,000 on its waiting list, according to the company.

"All are welcome to speak freely," spokesman Utsav Sanduja says.

Gab is unable to accommodate all those who want to join, he adds, because it is still in its test phase.
The social network's rise comes amid Twitter's suspension of political activists for purportedly promoting racist and harassing comments.

One of the new "Gabbers," Richard Spencer, heads the white supremacist National Policy Institute, whose account Twitter has suspended.

Spencer, whose "Hail Trump" comments were seen as evocative of the Nazi era, joined the Twitter exile along with Milo Yiannopoulos, accused of fomenting a social media campaign against the African-American actress Leslie Jones.

- Rising acrimony -

Gab's appearance follows the launch two years ago of another free-speech labeled platform, Voat, which has had limited success.

But the new site comes amid escalating tensions and acrimony over politics in social media.
Some say the new guidelines for major platforms represent an effort to curb harassment and hate, others call it censorship.

Reddit, an online news and messaging board, announced last month that it would crack down on "toxic users" in an effort to curb some incendiary comments from supporters of President-elect Donald Trump.

"We have identified hundreds of the most toxic users and are taking action against them, ranging from warnings to timeouts to permanent bans," Reddit chief Steve Huffman wrote.

Gab meanwhile pledges no censoring or filtering, allowing users to post messages of 300 characters, compared to Twitter's 140-character limit.

Headquartered in the Caribbean island Anguilla, Gab is "bootstrapped," or self-financed, with some donations from the "Gab community."

Despite its user base, Gab denies having a political agenda.

"Gab is for everyone and our mission is to challenge censorship on a global scale," Sanduja says.
"Whether it is from authoritarian governments persecuting their own people, politically incorrect citizens engaging in peaceful and civil discourse or whistleblowers in establishment institutions seeking a safe refuge, Gab will always be there for them and the people."

- Overtly racist -

Although the platform's terms prohibit calls for violence or "terrorism," many messages on the site are overtly racist or anti-Semitic.

That reflects the belief of Gab's founders "that free speech is a fundamental right, one that is absolute and cannot be vitiated in any way," Sanduja says.

That means "a free exchange of ideas" on the site "without proscription."

Instead of censoring content, Gab enables its users to filter their news feeds by blocking messages with certain keywords or from specific users.

Sanduja points to the startup founders' backgrounds as a reflection of diversity.

He is a Canadian Hindu with roots in India. The other co-founders include Ekrem Buyukkaya, a Muslim of Kurdish origin, and Andrew Torba, the chief executive who calls himself a "Christian conservative."

However, that kind of symbolism does little to mollify the concerns of those worried that services such as Gab keep users inside "filter bubbles" that reinforce their own ideas and block out other viewpoints.

"The service that they have created is an echo chamber for extremely conservative opinions," says Lauren Copeland, associate director of the Community Research Institute at Baldwin Wallace University.

"It may be open to everybody, but it certainly doesn't appeal to everybody."

(12-12-2016, 07:50 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Perhaps some of you would be more at home on this social media site. 

Promising no censorship, social network Gab draws 'alt-right'

[img=0x0]https://www.yahoo.com/sy/uu/api/res/1.2/Uj6_oNij2n7aO9bEs3pVLw--/YXBwaWQ9eXRhY2h5b24-/https://media.zenfs.com/creatr-images/GLB/2016-10-05/04fa4660-8b0f-11e6-8636-cbc0321bcf4b_AFP-logo.jpeg[/img]
Thomas URBAIN
AFPDecember 11, 2016

[Image: 678dc4a117fd9eb8a1a30ae9634c25b3d5705c24.jpg]View photos

As social media platforms crack down on hate speech, far-right activists are finding a home on new platform Gab (AFP Photo/JOSH EDELSON)

More

New York (AFP) - Squeezed out of Twitter and other social media websites cracking down on hate speech, far-right activists are finding a home on a new platform that promises never to censor content.

Launched in August, Gab has become known as a safe haven for the "alt-right" movement dominated by the white supremacists who are helping fuel America's deepening polarization.

The social network currently has 100,000 members and another 200,000 on its waiting list, according to the company.

"All are welcome to speak freely," spokesman Utsav Sanduja says.

Gab is unable to accommodate all those who want to join, he adds, because it is still in its test phase.
The social network's rise comes amid Twitter's suspension of political activists for purportedly promoting racist and harassing comments.

One of the new "Gabbers," Richard Spencer, heads the white supremacist National Policy Institute, whose account Twitter has suspended.

Spencer, whose "Hail Trump" comments were seen as evocative of the Nazi era, joined the Twitter exile along with Milo Yiannopoulos, accused of fomenting a social media campaign against the African-American actress Leslie Jones.

- Rising acrimony -

Gab's appearance follows the launch two years ago of another free-speech labeled platform, Voat, which has had limited success.

But the new site comes amid escalating tensions and acrimony over politics in social media.
Some say the new guidelines for major platforms represent an effort to curb harassment and hate, others call it censorship.

Reddit, an online news and messaging board, announced last month that it would crack down on "toxic users" in an effort to curb some incendiary comments from supporters of President-elect Donald Trump.

"We have identified hundreds of the most toxic users and are taking action against them, ranging from warnings to timeouts to permanent bans," Reddit chief Steve Huffman wrote.

Gab meanwhile pledges no censoring or filtering, allowing users to post messages of 300 characters, compared to Twitter's 140-character limit.

Headquartered in the Caribbean island Anguilla, Gab is "bootstrapped," or self-financed, with some donations from the "Gab community."

Despite its user base, Gab denies having a political agenda.

"Gab is for everyone and our mission is to challenge censorship on a global scale," Sanduja says.
"Whether it is from authoritarian governments persecuting their own people, politically incorrect citizens engaging in peaceful and civil discourse or whistleblowers in establishment institutions seeking a safe refuge, Gab will always be there for them and the people."

- Overtly racist -

Although the platform's terms prohibit calls for violence or "terrorism," many messages on the site are overtly racist or anti-Semitic.

That reflects the belief of Gab's founders "that free speech is a fundamental right, one that is absolute and cannot be vitiated in any way," Sanduja says.

That means "a free exchange of ideas" on the site "without proscription."

Instead of censoring content, Gab enables its users to filter their news feeds by blocking messages with certain keywords or from specific users.

Sanduja points to the startup founders' backgrounds as a reflection of diversity.

He is a Canadian Hindu with roots in India. The other co-founders include Ekrem Buyukkaya, a Muslim of Kurdish origin, and Andrew Torba, the chief executive who calls himself a "Christian conservative."

However, that kind of symbolism does little to mollify the concerns of those worried that services such as Gab keep users inside "filter bubbles" that reinforce their own ideas and block out other viewpoints.

"The service that they have created is an echo chamber for extremely conservative opinions," says Lauren Copeland, associate director of the Community Research Institute at Baldwin Wallace University.

(12-12-2016, 08:05 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(12-12-2016, 07:50 AM)cletus1 Wrote: Perhaps some of you would be more at home on this social media site. 

We don't have any censorship on this forum either. It's our local version of Gap.
(12-12-2016, 08:08 AM)cletus1 Wrote:
(12-12-2016, 08:05 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:

We don't have any censorship on this forum either. It's our local version of Gap.

Well, we can have a form of censorship: The best kind...Self Censorship.
The only thing fake is the outrage of you losers. There was nothing fake in those emails. They showed the really ugly underbelly of the dems. The lies, the corruption, their contempt for the American people, their hate and bigotry. That's the only thing they are upset over, it revealed their true ugly soul for all to see. A bright light on a bunch of scurrying coackroaches.

As Obama once said elections have consequences. You guys lost. Yuge!! Time to stop your whining and shut your pie holes. You can join us, but you have to sit in the back of the bus. Obama said that too......
Here's a funny excerpt from a funny article. I wonder if it's real or FAKE???

Quote:“It’s a very serious concern. I just went on TV twice today on Fox and MSNBC on the Cabinet appointments and I winged it,” said Bill Richardson, the former New Mexico governor and 2008 presidential candidate. “You need something right now. Trump every day is doing something outrageous. What do we do? Criticize everything he does? Hold back a bit? I know we need to develop an economic message but that's long term. We need something now. Most of the Democrats I talk to are down, and they're asking who’s in charge.”

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/12/de...ump-232491
Try to look past the fact that it's from CNN and just listen to the man's words. This guy's "satire" stories are the exact BS stories you Trumpsters post here every day as truth. Yoose Trumpsters luvs yoose some edication. Fucking idiots.... 

(12-12-2016, 11:58 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Try to look past the fact that it's from CNN and just listen to the man's words. This guy's "satire" stories are the exact BS stories you Trumpsters post here every day as truth. Yoose Trumpsters luvs yoose some edication. Fucking idiots.... 

And here we have it...in a nutshell! We can't protect ourselves from ignorant (and often stupid) people. As was mentioned in an earlier post, "yellow journalism" has been with us since before the founding. Some folks "buy" it. 

But I'd take issue with "Yoose Trumpsters luvs yoose some edication. Fucking idiots....". That kind of generalization is as dangerous as the charge it's self. Lots of bright folks are supporting Mr. Trump. I don't understand why, but I do understand I come from so far across the political divide I simply can't relate to the man or his strange utterances. I don't see  all Trump supports as "fucking idiots" and many would never bother with "fake news". 

That said, I reley on what I believe to be credible news sources: Those with a long history of providing reliable reports by journalists who are given resources to investigate and verify sources then have them fact checked by editors. 

"Fake news" will always be with us. Granted, the WWW has opened many outlets that were once not available, but our responsibllity hasn't changed. We need to discriminate. 

I want "real" news and believe the best way to get it is by a paid subscription to a "national" paper with a history of good reporting. That said, we have choices: The Wall Street Journal and the New York Times are both very good sources of news, but each has it's own point of view. Still...good journalism, and we can compare and make judgements based on our overall reading of ALL sources. 

No one ever said good citizenship would be easy.
"Lots of bright folks are supporting Mr. Trump".

1. Lots of bright folks are not immune to the fear Donny invoked daily. 
2. Lots of bright folks liked one or two things he "said" he'd do and ignored the rest.
3. Lots of bright folks income depends on what the voting public hear them say.
4. Lots of bright folks have no moral compass.
5. Lots of bright folks  make mistakes too.  Razz

"I don't see  all Trump supports as "fucking idiots."

I don't either. That's directed at our RFV Trumpsters that posted many of the stories this man FABRICATED as FACTS. 

I know you don't appreciate the use of profanity, but I do try to use it moderately so it properly conveys my heightened emotions.  Big Grin 
(12-13-2016, 11:23 AM)Valuesize Wrote: "Lots of bright folks are supporting Mr. Trump".

1. Lots of bright folks are not immune to the fear Donny invoked daily. 
2. Lots of bright folks liked one or two things he "said" he'd do and ignored the rest.
3. Lots of bright folks income depends on what the voting public hear them say.
4. Lots of bright folks have no moral compass.
5. Lots of bright folks  make mistakes too.  Razz

"I don't see  all Trump supports as "fucking idiots."

I don't either. That's directed at our RFV Trumpsters that posted many of the stories this man FABRICATED as FACTS. 

I know you don't appreciate the use of profanity, but I do try to use it moderately so it properly conveys my heightened emotions.  Big Grin 

Says the guy who gets his "news" from Stephen Colbert and John Stewart....... Laughing Laughing