Are Fully Automatic Guns Legal?
(02-12-2017, 07:42 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-12-2017, 05:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-11-2017, 01:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 11:23 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 10:34 PM)tvguy Wrote: That's no more high powered than most deer rifles. Why is that quoted?

These are statements the neighbors are making.

An M-16 being fired in the neighborhood. Okay. They are protected by the 2nd Amendment. 

But this: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

Gives me pause. 

Whatever: Someday, somehow, I hope our country resolves what most reasonable folks see as madness. I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle. 

But, shoot if ya got 'em.  Wink
 First of all what gives you pause? This part I guess? "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

What about this part you left out "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

IMO this part is perfectly clear.

"I hope our country resolves what most reasonable folks see as madness. I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle."

It's not madness that Americans can legally own Automatic weapons. Why don't you explain why you think so?
Is it because of all the killing done with them? I doubt it because I don't think there has been one single mass killing by a person with an automatic weapon.

IMO arson with a semi auto would be more deadly because a person can pull the trigger VERY fast and actually aim at a target rather than just spraying lead and running out of ammo in seconds.
I think automatic rifles are for military fire Fights with multiple shooters.

And also you said something I here often that doesn't make sense to me I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle."

You are right it doesn't. But hunting game is not the only reason people own guns. My guess is the vast majority of automatic weapons are owned by collectors and I think they pay dearly for the required licensing.

BTW firing an automatic rifle is a lot of fun. Big Grin
So, buy, and fire, an automatic weapon. 

But my saying "I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle." still stands. If you need an automatic weapon to bring down a buck, stop hunting and shop at Food For Less. 

I've fired fully automatic weapons. It wasn't for fun and I didn't enjoy it a bit. But, if you think it's fun, by all means I respect your right to blast away at all the cans you can find. By the way, someplace in this screwed up world someone is taking fire from an automatic weapon. Now THAT, I hope you can understand, is NOT fun! 

Wow are you in a bad mood or what?   I wasn't trying to claim anyone needs an automatic weapons to hunt.. Can you read slower maybe?
If you need an automatic weapon to bring down a buck, stop hunting and shop at Food For Less.

NOTHING I said should have made you think that. Try wearing your glasses.

My comment was towards people who claim people should not have a weapon if it's not suitable for hunting.
I've heard politicians say that and it sure as hell seems like you said the same.

By the way, someplace in this screwed up world someone is taking fire from an automatic weapon. Now THAT, I hope you can understand, is NOT fun!

What the fuck does that mean? Maybe if you feel this pissy you should just stay off the forum?
(02-12-2017, 08:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-11-2017, 01:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-10-2017, 11:23 PM)Valuesize Wrote: These are statements the neighbors are making.

An M-16 being fired in the neighborhood. Okay. They are protected by the 2nd Amendment. 

But this: "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

Gives me pause. 

Whatever: Someday, somehow, I hope our country resolves what most reasonable folks see as madness. I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle. 

First of all what gives you pause? This part I guess? "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

What about this part you left out "the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

"I hope our country resolves what most reasonable folks see as madness. I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle."

It's not madness that Americans can legally own Automatic weapons. Why don't you explain why you think so?
Is it because of all the killing done with them? I doubt it because I don't think there has been one single mass killing by a person with an automatic weapon.

IMO arson with a semi auto would be more deadly because a person can pull the trigger VERY fast and actually aim at a target rather than just spraying lead and running out of ammo in seconds.

And also you said something I here often that doesn't make sense to me I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle."

You are right it doesn't. But hunting game is not the only reason people own guns. My guess is the vast majority of automatic weapons are owned by collectors and I think they pay dearly for the required licensing.

But my saying "I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle." still stands. If you need an automatic weapon to bring down a buck, stop hunting and shop at Food For Less. 

I've fired fully automatic weapons. It wasn't for fun and I didn't enjoy it a bit. But, if you think it's fun, by all means I respect your right to blast away at all the cans you can find. By the way, someplace in this screwed up world someone is taking fire from an automatic weapon. Now THAT, I hope you can understand, is NOT fun! 

Wow are you in a bad mood or what?   I wasn't trying to claim anyone needs an automatic weapons to hunt.. Can you read slower maybe?
If you need an automatic weapon to bring down a buck, stop hunting and shop at Food For Less.

My comment was towards people who claim people should not have a weapon if it's not suitable for hunting.
I've heard politicians say that and it sure as hell seems like you said the same.

By the way, someplace in this screwed up world someone is taking fire from an automatic weapon. Now THAT, I hope you can understand, is NOT fun!

What the fuck does that mean? Maybe if you feel this pissy you should just stay off the forum?
Wow.Dosen't take long for things to go sideways here. 
Can we restart this?
My comment about needing an automatic rifle to hunt was tongue in cheek, because any serious hunter understands hunting with such a gun would be ridiculous. 
So, then, if not for hunting, why have one?
You said maybe folks might want one as a collectors item. 
Okay. 
And then I added the real world fact that using one in real life, and facing the fire of one, is NOT fun! Because the fact remains that guns like this are designed and used to kill other people. Now, I'll concede that you can have one and NOT kill other people, but just as a personal thing I can't help but wonder why one would want a killing machine as a collector's item. 
But thats just me. I expressed an opinion. Don't agree? Fine, but what the hell? That make me "pissy" and I should stay off the forum? 
We get to have and express opinions here. I did, and I hope I did it without insulting anyone. 
So buy a M-16 and enjoy it for whatever reason. It doesn't matter that I "don't get it". What matters is that I get to voice my opinion without taking a lot of flack about it.
(02-13-2017, 09:34 AM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-11-2017, 01:39 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: An M-16 being fired in the neighborhood. Okay. They are protected by the 2nd Amendment. 

Gives me pause. 

Can we restart this?
My comment about needing an automatic rifle to hunt was tongue in cheek, because any serious hunter understands hunting with such a gun would be ridiculous. 
Okay. 
And then I added the real world fact that using one in real life, and facing the fire of one, is NOT fun! Because the fact remains that guns like this are designed and used to kill other people. Now, I'll concede that you can have one and NOT kill other people, but just as a personal thing I can't help but wonder why one would want a killing machine as a collector's item. 
But thats just me. I expressed an opinion. Don't agree? Fine, but what the hell? That make me "pissy" and I should stay off the forum? 
We get to have and express opinions here. I did, and I hope I did it without insulting anyone. 
So buy a M-16 and enjoy it for whatever reason. It doesn't matter that I "don't get it". What matters is that I get to voice my opinion without taking a lot of flack about it.

Personally, I was scratching my head at the vitriol TV leveled at you.  I thought your post was fine.

But on the highlight above on this most recent response?  You are partly right.  You get to voice your opinion, but to expect a pass on "flack" is pretty naïve.
(02-13-2017, 11:48 AM)Hugo Wrote:
(02-12-2017, 05:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:  First of all what gives you pause? This part I guess? "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

Can we restart this?
Okay. 

Personally, I was scratching my head at the vitriol TV leveled at you.  I thought your post was fine.

But on the highlight above on this most recent response?  You are partly right.  You get to voice your opinion, but to expect a pass on "flack" is pretty naïve.

Okay. Flack away.  Laughing
(02-12-2017, 05:38 PM)tvguy Wrote:  First of all what gives you pause? This part I guess? "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State..."

Can we restart this?
Okay. 

OK then your opinion made me take a closer look.

Wonky said....
"I doubt that game hunting requires an automatic rifle."

I replied and said "You are right it doesn't." I totally agreed and what was his response to that was...

Wonky...If you need an automatic weapon to bring down a buck, stop hunting and shop at Food For Less.

Does that sound like someone who understood or cared about what I said? Or someone who just blew me off?

And then the implication that followed was there was something wrong with anyone who would want a "killing machine" and therefore me. OK fair enough, that part IS just an opinion.
For fucks sake it's just a rifle with a switch so you can fire fully automatic if you choose.

I guess one has to be a gun enthusiast to understand and appreciate all of the weapons of war that have been created and not mope about what was there original intended use.

Maybe it's the arrogance that Wonky thinks I need to be told  the fact that using one in real life, and facing the fire of one, is NOT fun! Because the fact remains that guns like this are designed and used to kill other
people.

NO SHIT?? Gee thanks captain obvious because apparently he thinks he alone has empathy for people in a war?????

That's exactly the definition of strongman argument . I said "it's fun to shoot one" and Wonky changes it to "it's NOT fun to be shot at" and continues with his lecture.
(02-13-2017, 02:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-12-2017, 07:42 PM)Wonky3 Wrote: So, buy, and fire, an automatic weapon. 

Can we restart this?
Okay. 

Wonky said....

I replied and said "You are right it doesn't." I totally agreed and what was his response to that was...

Wonky...If you need an automatic weapon to bring down a buck, stop hunting and shop at Food For Less.

Does that sound like someone who understood or cared about what I said? Or someone who just blew me off?

And then the implication that followed was there was something wrong with anyone who would want a "killing machine" and therefore me. OK fair enough, that part IS just an opinion.
For fucks sake it's just a rifle with a switch so you can fire fully automatic if you choose.

I guess one has to be a gun enthusiast to understand and appreciate all of the weapons of war that have been created and not mope about what was there original intended use.

Maybe it's the arrogance that Wonky thinks I need to be told  the fact that using one in real life, and facing the fire of one, is NOT fun! Because the fact remains that guns like this are designed and used to kill other
people.

NO SHIT?? Gee thanks captain obvious because apparently he thinks he alone has empathy for people in a war?????

That's exactly the definition of strongman argument . I said "it's fun to shoot one" and Wonky changes it to "it's NOT fun to be shot at" and continues with his lecture.

I suppose that I thought is was a "fine" post for Wonky, because I EXPECT his posts to have a certain amount of arrogance and holier than thou rhetoric.   Smiling  I guess I have learned to roll my eyes and skip over it....

Sometimes....

Maybe I'm just in a generous mood coming off of my vacation.  I'm sure I will get back into the groove shortly.....
(02-13-2017, 06:28 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(02-12-2017, 08:00 PM)tvguy Wrote: Wow are you in a bad mood or what?   I wasn't trying to claim anyone needs an automatic weapons to hunt.. Can you read slower maybe?

Can we restart this?
Okay. 

Wonky said....

people.

I suppose that I thought is was a "fine" post for Wonky, because I EXPECT his posts to have a certain amount of arrogance and holier than thou rhetoric.   Smiling  I guess I have learned to roll my eyes and skip over it....

Sometimes....

Maybe I'm just in a generous mood coming off of my vacation.  I'm sure I will get back into the groove shortly.....

Well hell's bells.
It's supposed to work this way: I just start typing, trying my best to get my lousy spell-checker to work, and whatever garbled mess of words show up here you guys are supposed to wade through them, straighten it out, and make sense of it. 
I mean, really? You expect ME to do the hard lifting?

So: I just don't like "military style" guns that look for all the world like they are made for killing people. It's a personal thing. I'd, explain, but then I'd have to kill you.  Wink

So I'm not rational about this. I see those kind of guns, I see dead people. I should have just kept my mouth shut. 

Sorry TVg...didn't mean to get in your kitchen. Have fun with your rapid shooting shoulder gun if you have one.

Hugo: Sorry if I come across as arrogant. It's just that I'm so damn much smarter than most folks.  Razz.  Really...not my intent and I'll try to monitor my stuff here. But this much I know for damn sure: YOU would never use a M-16 for hunting game. (There I go...getting "arrogant just to push TVg's buttons)

Whatever: I don't like M-16's in closets all across the valley. I understand that's MY view. I'll try to keep it to myself and not get all "arrogant" about it.  Laughing

So...I type away not making any attempt at making sense and you folks re-do the thing until it looks like something that is rational and clear. 

I mean, come on: I may have helped saved you from godless communism.  Smiling . That's gotta be worth something.
(02-13-2017, 08:04 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-13-2017, 09:34 AM)Wonky3 Wrote: Wow.Dosen't take long for things to go sideways here. 
Can we restart this?
Okay. 

Wonky said....

people.

Sometimes....

Well hell's bells.
It's supposed to work this way: I just start typing, trying my best to get my lousy spell-checker to work, and whatever garbled mess of words show up here you guys are supposed to wade through them, straighten it out, and make sense of it. 

So: I just don't like "military style" guns that look for all the world like they are made for killing people. It's a personal thing. I'd, explain, but then I'd have to kill you.  Wink

So I'm not rational about this. I see those kind of guns, I see dead people. I should have just kept my mouth shut. 

Sorry TVg...didn't mean to get in your kitchen. Have fun with your rapid shooting shoulder gun if you have one.

Hugo: Sorry if I come across as arrogant. It's just that I'm so damn much smarter than most folks.  Razz.  Really...not my intent and I'll try to monitor my stuff here. But this much I know for damn sure: YOU would never use a M-16 for hunting game. (There I go...getting "arrogant just to push TVg's buttons)

Whatever: I don't like M-16's in closets all across the valley. I understand that's MY view. I'll try to keep it to myself and not get all "arrogant" about it.  Laughing

So...I type away not making any attempt at making sense and you folks re-do the thing until it looks like something that is rational and clear. 

I mean, come on: I may have helped saved you from godless communism.  Smiling . That's gotta be worth something.

You sound like you are in a lot better mood than you were the post I complained about. Smiling
(02-14-2017, 02:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-13-2017, 08:04 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-13-2017, 11:48 AM)Hugo Wrote: Personally, I was scratching my head at the vitriol TV leveled at you.  I thought your post was fine.

Wonky said....

people.

Sometimes....

Well hell's bells.

You sound like you are in a lot better mood than you were the post I complained about. Smiling

Hey buddy! YOU try living on Miralax, plan oatmeal, forty pills a day and a bladder that works only every other day!

No, really....I just whipped out text without thinking about it or bothering to read and edit it. I really meant a lot of that stuff, just worded it badly and gave impressions not deeply felt. 

Whatever: I continue to feel the whole issue with "military style guns" is complicated not easily resolved. Bottom line: I'm in favor of all the freedom possible for folks to have guns. I only wish only the "right" folks could have them.
For fucks sake tv you're not dissecting an atom, it's just a post. It becomes a lesson in futility to try and follow your shit sometimes. Not that I think you should do anything different, it's just my opinion.
(02-14-2017, 03:07 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: For fucks sake tv you're not dissecting an atom, it's just a post. It becomes a lesson in futility to try and follow your shit sometimes. Not that I think you should do anything different, it's just my opinion.

The jokes on you. TVg knows how to dissect atoms.  Laughing
(02-14-2017, 07:36 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:
(02-14-2017, 03:07 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: For fucks sake tv you're not dissecting an atom, it's just a post. It becomes a lesson in futility to try and follow your shit sometimes. Not that I think you should do anything different, it's just my opinion.

Not yet but I bought an atom dissector on Craigslist and I'm trying to Google the the owners manual. The problem is all the ones I can find are in Arabic.
(02-14-2017, 10:11 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Not yet but I bought an atom dissector on Craigslist and I'm trying to Google the the owners manual. The problem is all the ones I can find are in Arabic.

No problem: I know a French guy who reads Arabic, and my cousin's sister is French so she can translate it to a guy I know from the military from Germany who can reads French and he can translate it to German. My son studied German in high school but he can't remember any of it now. BUT...his buddy knows a guy who worked in a BMW repair shop who used to date a gal from Egypt who reads Arabic. 

Wait...she's in jail for making bombs. 

Sorry, can't help you.  Sad
(02-14-2017, 10:55 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

No problem: I know a French guy who reads Arabic, and my cousin's sister is French so she can translate it to a guy I know from the military from Germany who can reads French and he can translate it to German. My son studied German in high school but he can't remember any of it now. BUT...his buddy knows a guy who worked in a BMW repair shop who used to date a gal from Egypt who reads Arabic. 

I can't help you now either. You said "m a ki ng b ombs" on the internet. Trump is probably already tweeting about it. Yer toast.
(02-15-2017, 10:55 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-14-2017, 10:55 PM)Wonky3 Wrote:

I can't help you now either. You said "m a ki ng b ombs" on the internet. Trump is probably already tweeting about it. Yer toast.
OMG! You're right, I may spend weeks in a bunker, a bright light in my face, and sitting in a straight backed chair craving a smoke (even though I quit 25 years ago). 

Notice to intelligence community: I omitted a word: I meant to say STINK bomb.  Wink 

I've already called the ACLU. (Thank the gods they got all that recent donation money)
Botton line: This Obama rule would have resulted in tens of thousands of innocent Americans being put into NICS, thereby stripping them of their Constitutional rights without due process. So no, the Senate did not vote to make it easier for the mentally ill to buy guns. It voted to uphold due process for all Americans. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Very surprised at the anti-gun slant Fox News put on this.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/02/...aired.html
(02-15-2017, 01:20 PM)Hugo Wrote: Botton line: This Obama rule would have resulted in tens of thousands of innocent Americans being put into NICS, thereby stripping them of their Constitutional rights without due process. So no, the Senate did not vote to make it easier for the mentally ill to buy guns. It voted to uphold due process for all Americans. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking for years.
(02-15-2017, 06:02 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(02-15-2017, 01:20 PM)Hugo Wrote: Botton line: This Obama rule would have resulted in tens of thousands of innocent Americans being put into NICS, thereby stripping them of their Constitutional rights without due process. So no, the Senate did not vote to make it easier for the mentally ill to buy guns. It voted to uphold due process for all Americans. Anyone who says otherwise is lying.

I don't understand this whole deal. Who in their right mind has a problem with prohibiting people with mental disorders from owning guns?

I keep seeing gun nuts claiming this simply means taking guns away from seniors on SS. Which is extremely stupid to think that's what it really is.
(02-16-2017, 01:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't understand this whole deal. Who in their right mind has a problem with prohibiting people with mental disorders from owning guns?

I keep seeing gun nuts claiming this simply means taking guns away from seniors on SS. Which is extremely stupid to think that's what it really is.

No, it doesn't "simply mean" that.  To claim that this "rule" only means keeping guns out of mentally ill peoples hands is the simplistic thinking part of this.  It has been shown that many innocent seniors would be caught up in the net, which would violate their Constitutional rights.  Until a better law can be written, this one needed to go away.
(02-16-2017, 01:40 PM)Hugo Wrote:
(02-16-2017, 01:08 PM)tvguy Wrote:

No, it doesn't "simply mean" that.  To claim that this "rule" only means keeping guns out of mentally ill peoples hands is the simplistic thinking part of this.  It has been shown that many innocent seniors would be caught up in the net, which would violate their Constitutional rights.  Until a better law can be written, this one needed to go away.
If what you say is true then of course I'm not for it.
I'm just saying from what I've seen nothing convinced me that "innocent seniors would be caught up in the net"
Maybe I just haven't seen it clearly explained. No matter it's revoked anyway.