Recylcing at Rogue Disposal
(04-29-2018, 10:16 AM)Valuesize Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 09:13 AM)Juniper Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 10:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 06:27 PM)GCG Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 06:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: I know you are kidding but I actually hear people saying almost the same on FB. Apparently RD is still accepting the 4 items even though they go to the landfill, for now. As a test to see if people can manage to put what supposed to be the proper items and if the items are clean.

One lady was mad  that her items were going to the dump so she said she was going to stop washing her tin cans Blink

It's that we were being sold on the notion that recycling was being done for the good of the environment. But now we see that it's for profit. I'm okay with it being for profit... but I'm not okay with doing their dirty work to make them money.
What do you mean we are now seeing that recycling is for profit and not the environment? That's not what I get out of any of this. It's both.
If RD had an outlet for their recyclables and were either paid or got rid of it for free it's still being recycled. And that is good for the environment because not as many resources are used to recycle an item than to create a new item.

RD is a for profit organization. IMO they must have had to make SOME profit to pay for all the extra work to pickup all they things that used to go in the red bin.
It may be good for the environment, but I believe  that Capitalism can make great things  happen. I also think it can make things drag to a halt..   In other words, if there's not money to be made would they bother would such a program.  I think for a long time, I thought recycling was done 'in house' so to speak. Of course I naively didn't give it any thought.  But I just assumed that it didn't take a trip to Asia to get things done.  Glass has been one of the longest recyclables on the list. I've always heard about glass recycling and we had glass recycle pick up here before anything else. But now no glass is accepted.

We just started glass recycling. The container is the same size as the small trash can and are on wheels also.  

[Image: 512carts.jpg]
 Which one is glass? and which one is all the other recyclables? And how much do you pay?
(04-29-2018, 12:10 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 10:42 PM)GCG Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 06:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: I know you are kidding but I actually hear people saying almost the same on FB. Apparently RD is still accepting the 4 items even though they go to the landfill, for now. As a test to see if people can manage to put what supposed to be the proper items and if the items are clean.

One lady was mad  that her items were going to the dump so she said she was going to stop washing her tin cans Blink

It's that we were being sold on the notion that recycling was being done for the good of the environment. But now we see that it's for profit. I'm okay with it being for profit... but I'm not okay with doing their dirty work to make them money.
What do you mean we are now seeing that recycling is for profit and not the environment? That's not what I get out of any of this. It's both.
If RD had an outlet for their recyclables and were either paid or got rid of it for free it's still being recycled. And that is good for the environment because not as many resources are used to recycle an item than to create a new item.

RD is a for profit organization. IMO they must have had to make SOME profit to pay for all the extra work to pickup all they things that used to go in the red bin.
What I mean is that some of the things that are most certainly recycleable, are no longer being accepted, (as recycleable), because there is no profit in it for Rogue Disposal. If they want to make money at it then they can pick through it. Why should we, the customer, be the ones providing what is essentially free labor by picking out only that part of the trash that is marketable to them? If it's not profitbale for them to pick through it then it's not profitable period. Now, if they want to pick up those red bins for free, and only charge us if we don't follow their guidleines.... then I'll reconsider. If they are ALREADY picking the red bins up for free, then I take it all back. But I don't believe that they are.
Your last sentence says it all. You don't know.You just lean towards and assume RD was making a profit by picking up the recyclables. 
That's not my assumption at all. Ashland who still has a contract with a recycle company still accepts all of the things RD USED to accept. But they charge more now for that. 

It just seems to me that when I pay 20 bucks a month for someone to supplies us with a garbage can and they come 4 times a month and pick up the most nasty vile things.
Then IF they were making a profit from the items that could have been recycled? Then good for them.
I just can't imagine they were when they have to supple the big red cans and the trucks to pick them up and the labor to separate all that crap.

Now, if they want to pick up those red bins for free, and only charge us if we don't follow their guidleines.... then I'll reconsider

Why on earth would RD or ANYONE work for free?
Now you are just trying to be difficult. Only the pickup would be free... because what they are picking up has value to them. Not at all the same as "working for free."
(04-29-2018, 12:19 PM)tvguy Wrote:

It may be good for the environment, but I believe  that Capitalism can make great things  happen. I also think it can make things drag to a halt..   In other words, if there's not money to be made would they bother would such a program.  I think for a long time, I thought recycling was done 'in house' so to speak. Of course I naively didn't give it any thought.  But I just assumed that it didn't take a trip to Asia to get things done.  Glass has been one of the longest recyclables on the list. I've always heard about glass recycling and we had glass recycle pick up here before anything else. But now no glass is accepted.
The way I see it If some company makes glass items and they can buy glass, melt it down and re use it cheaper than making new, then of course they will.
But when it becomes more expensive to melt down used glass than to make new of course they won't.
 The same is true for all recyclables. China has grown and their factories have become larger until they are like ours. Because of that and the fact that a lot of what we have been sending was contaminated they no longer save any money using our second hand crap.

If we recycle everything, what will the archeologist in the future, going to find?
(04-29-2018, 12:36 PM)GCG Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 06:27 PM)GCG Wrote: It's that we were being sold on the notion that recycling was being done for the good of the environment. But now we see that it's for profit. I'm okay with it being for profit... but I'm not okay with doing their dirty work to make them money.

What I mean is that some of the things that are most certainly recycleable, are no longer being accepted, (as recycleable), because there is no profit in it for Rogue Disposal. If they want to make money at it then they can pick through it. Why should we, the customer, be the ones providing what is essentially free labor by picking out only that part of the trash that is marketable to them? If it's not profitbale for them to pick through it then it's not profitable period. Now, if they want to pick up those red bins for free, and only charge us if we don't follow their guidleines.... then I'll reconsider. If they are ALREADY picking the red bins up for free, then I take it all back. But I don't believe that they are.
Your last sentence says it all. You don't know.You just lean towards and assume RD was making a profit by picking up the recyclables. 
That's not my assumption at all. Ashland who still has a contract with a recycle company still accepts all of the things RD USED to accept. But they charge more now for that. 

It just seems to me that when I pay 20 bucks a month for someone to supplies us with a garbage can and they come 4 times a month and pick up the most nasty vile things.
Then IF they were making a profit from the items that could have been recycled? Then good for them.
I just can't imagine they were when they have to supple the big red cans and the trucks to pick them up and the labor to separate all that crap.

Now, if they want to pick up those red bins for free, and only charge us if we don't follow their guidleines.... then I'll reconsider

Now you are just trying to be difficult. Only the pickup would be free... because what they are picking up has value to them. Not at all the same as "working for free."
I'm not in any way trying to be difficult. The " value" for these recyclables is gone for RD. So if they did pick them up it would be for free.
(04-29-2018, 01:29 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-29-2018, 12:36 PM)GCG Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 10:14 PM)tvguy Wrote: What do you mean we are now seeing that recycling is for profit and not the environment? That's not what I get out of any of this. It's both.

I'm not in any way trying to be difficult. The " value" for these recyclables is gone for RD. So if they did pick them up it would be for free.
You changed your phrasing a bit. But let's not argue semantics.

You missed my point. I would be willing to separate out those recycleables that still have market value to RD, if they picked it up for free. Much like Biomass One sends trucks out at their own expense to pick up log yard bark. That bark is waste to the log yard but Biomass turns it into fuel aka revenue.

In the case of RD, they are trying to resell, (aka create revenue),  the recycled stuff. If there is no value and no recycling being done... then it's all a dog and pony show anyway.
(04-28-2018, 06:12 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-28-2018, 06:07 PM)GCG Wrote: I'm going to start picking up our dog turds with newspaper and throwing that in the red can. Nazi bastards!

I know you are kidding but I actually hear people saying almost the same on FB. Apparently RD is still accepting the 4 items even though they go to the landfill, for now. As a test to see if people can manage to put what supposed to be the proper items and if the items are clean.

I'm pretty much in line with you on all of this. It somehow seems easier to take if we are doing for the good of the environment rather than for the good of the investors... and I'm a staunch capitalist! I'll sort my trash for the common good... but not for "Big Garbage"  Big Grin.  Tvguy says the 2 can both be done at once... and maybe that's true. But they were disingenuous about it so now I'm suspicious... and a little pissed.
We aren’t pissed in Ashland.
So I just got off the phone with RD. They do not charge for the red barrels. They are part of the service. So I will only end up paying more if I need to order a larger regular bin in order to get rid of all of the waste that can no longer go into the red bin. At this point I think we'll be okay. Sorry I blew up! And tvguy.... FO!... just for good measure.  Big Grin
(04-30-2018, 09:12 AM)GCG Wrote: So I just got off the phone with RD. They do not charge for the red barrels. They are part of the service. So I will only end up paying more if I need to order a larger regular bin in order to get rid of all of the waste that can no longer go into the red bin. At this point I think we'll be okay. Sorry I blew up! And tvguy.... FO!... just for good measure.  Big Grin

Yeah, that's what I thought. Actually we do pay for recycling it's just rolled up into the monthly regular service charge instead of being a separate itemized charge.

I remember them requesting and being granted annual service charge increases and the justification was increased costs related to recycling efforts. Another time it was increased fuel costs. Funny that we end up paying more when they go up but don't save when they drop again. Kind of like fuel prices, prices go up instantly but drop ever so slowly.
I'm thinking of just dropping the whole garbage service and using the cans at the rest stops.
(04-30-2018, 12:34 PM)chuck white Wrote: I'm thinking of just dropping the whole garbage service and using the cans at the rest stops.

Or your neighbors.   Ninja
(04-30-2018, 09:12 AM)GCG Wrote: So I just got off the phone with RD. They do not charge for the red barrels. They are part of the service. So I will only end up paying more if I need to order a larger regular bin in order to get rid of all of the waste that can no longer go into the red bin. At this point I think we'll be okay. Sorry I blew up! And tvguy.... FO!... just for good measure.  Big Grin

I didn't think you blew up Big Grin
(04-30-2018, 03:53 AM)bbqboy Wrote: We aren’t pissed in Ashland.

But you are paying more.