Has it been 5 years already?
Yes. Yes it has. I have scheduled my 2nd colonoscopy. The first was 5 years go. But this time I will spare you all the play by play. I do have a question, though. I've seen on TV where you can sort of "mail it in", so to speak. Has anyone does this? When I tried to Google it I was greeted with some pretty disgusting "practical joke" web sites. Maybe searching for "shit in a box" was not the best way to get the desired results.

As to the legitimate sites... who wants to work at the facility that is on the other end of the mail? I hope it pays well.
That's not a colonoscopy. It's a fecal culture.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
(08-05-2018, 05:49 PM)Scrapper Wrote: That's not a colonoscopy. It's a fecal culture.

From the Mayo Clinic:

"The fecal occult blood test (FOBT) is a lab test used to check stool samples for hidden (occult) blood. Occult blood in the stool may indicate colon cancer or polyps in the colon or rectum — though not all cancers or polyps bleed."

A colonoscopy will tell much, much more.

(08-05-2018, 06:08 PM)GCG Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 05:52 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 05:49 PM)Scrapper Wrote: That's not a colonoscopy.  It's a fecal culture.

From the Mayo Clinic:

"The fecal occult blood test (FOBT) is a lab test used to check stool samples for hidden (occult) blood. Occult blood in the stool may indicate colon cancer or polyps in the colon or rectum — though not all cancers or polyps bleed."

Thanks for the reply. I am scheduled for a full on colonoscopy. But I read somewhere that the "FOBT" could let you know if you are in need of the colonoscopy or not.
If you’ve already had one, I think it’s safe to assume you qualify for a full one again. Risk certainly doesn’t decrease with age.
(08-05-2018, 06:10 PM)GCG Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 06:08 PM)GCG Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 05:52 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(08-05-2018, 05:49 PM)Scrapper Wrote: That's not a colonoscopy.  It's a fecal culture.

From the Mayo Clinic:

Thanks for the reply. I am scheduled for a full on colonoscopy. But I read somewhere that the "FOBT" could let you know if you are in need of the colonoscopy or not.

You don't have to pay for the colonoscopy do you? I just had one a couple of months ago and my doctor found and removed three polyps.
This FOBT thing couldn't do that right?
I don't need to have another one for three years Smiling
So the procedure was yesterday. 3 small polyps, (last time there were 2), and I'm good for another 3-5 years. But I have to tell you that the "team" that did the work was awesome. First, this super bubbly young RN comes in to wheel me to the room where they do it. She was just too cool. I wasn't at all nervous but it's kind of humiliating to think that a group of people are going to be sticking something in your ass while you are knocked out. Her demeanor made all the difference. Anyway, it was a breeze and it made a big difference to me that the people involved were pros but also very friendly.

As to the FOBT... I asked about that. I think that test simply checks for blood in the stool. No Blood is good but not a 100% indicator that all is well. If there is blood then they would recommend a full colonoscopy. What they tell me about polyps is that if you don't remove them, they can become cancerous over time. Long story short, if you have polyps but no blood, you may be in trouble if you put your faith in the FOBT test.
(08-08-2018, 06:05 PM)GCG Wrote: So the procedure was yesterday. 3 small polyps, (last time there were 2), and I'm good for another 3-5 years. But I have to tell you that the "team" that did the work was awesome. First, this super bubbly young RN comes in to wheel me to the room where they do it. She was just too cool. I wasn't at all nervous but it's kind of humiliating to think that a group of people are going to be sticking something in your ass while you are knocked out. Her demeanor made all the difference. Anyway, it was a breeze and it made a big difference to me that the people involved were pros but also very friendly.

As to the FOBT... I asked about that. I think that test simply checks for blood in the stool. No Blood is good but not a 100% indicator that all is well. If there is blood then they would recommend a full colonoscopy. What they tell me about polyps is that if you don't remove them, they can become cancerous over time. Long story short, if you have polyps but no blood, you may be in trouble by if you but your faith in the FOBT test.

My doctor had a French name. something Dr Moge pronounced Mo jay.

Anyway the staff are very cool and will joke around. There was music playing. The last thing I remember saying when they stared the anesthesia ... How good is your stuff,I'm going to see how long I can fight this...
A quick follow up on this. When I went in for my 1st procedure, (5 years ago), They found a couple of totally benign polyps.... which I'm told is very typical. Well those little polyps turned out to have a huge effect on my most recent procedure. Here's how: My 1st procedure was coded as "preventative" by the place that performed the service. So when it was sent in to my insurance for payment it was paid in full. I did not have to meet the deductable. When the bills started coming to my home for this most recent go-round... I was surprised to learn that my deductable, (5K), was now in play. After a few phone calls it was determined that because of those 2 polyps, the latest coding was labeled as "diagnostic" rather than "preventative." The insurance companies view the procedures differently, hence the deductable. Anyhow, I was able to get them to change the coding to preventative but it took some doing. So now, hopefully, those bills will be paid. Five years from now I will certainly ask the question about coding BEFORE I schedule another colonoscopy. If it tunrs out that I will be on the hook, I will likely opt for the new "shit in a box" method and go from there.
(11-17-2018, 09:04 AM)GCG Wrote: A quick follow up on this. When I went in for my 1st procedure, (5 years ago), They found a couple of totally benign polyps.... which I'm told is very typical. Well those little polyps turned out to have a huge effect on my most recent procedure. Here's how:  My 1st procedure was coded as "preventative" by the place that performed the service. So when it was sent in to my insurance for payment it was paid in full. I did not have to meet the deductable. When the bills started coming to my home for this most recent go-round... I was surprised to learn that my deductable, (5K), was now in play. After a few phone calls it was determined that because of those 2 polyps, the latest coding was labeled as "diagnostic" rather than "preventative." The insurance companies view the procedures differently, hence the deductable. Anyhow, I was able to get them to change the coding to preventative but it took some doing. So now, hopefully, those bills will be paid. Five years from now I will certainly ask the question about coding BEFORE I schedule another colonoscopy. If it tunrs out that I will be on the hook, I will likely opt for the new "shit in a box" method and go from there.
Everything I had done colostomy , radiation, surgery, chemo,colostomy again twice, MRI. and CT scans were all paid for with the Oregon health plan.
But when I turned 65 it's not all covered because Medicare isn't anywhere near enough. So now I pay for supplemental insurance ($154.00) a month.

I had a colostomy a couple of months ago. The bill was $1179.00. Medicare paid $261.00 my supplement Omaha paid the rest.
Just a visit to see my oncologist is $375 and the blood work I always have costs $212. It's all covered with my supplement or I would be screwed.

I was wrong. The bill for the was colostomy $3250.00. The bill was $1179.00 for removing 3 polyps.