Nike signs Colin Kaepernick to be their new poster-boy
Good move or no? 

I never really bought into Kap's motives. He didn't say one thing about social injustice while he was a star QB. It wasn't until he got benched for poor performance that he started taking a knee. Once he got the attention that he craved, he just kept running with it. Reminds me of Al Gore and global warming. Sure they believe in their cause(s)... but that's not the driving force behind their actions. 

P.S. This is JUST MY OPINION! In other words... bank on it.  Cool

Now, back to Nike. By hiring Kap, they have entered the political arena. They have every right to do so. And I have every right to NOT want to buy shoes or clothing from an operation that would help give voice to someone who has motives that I do not buy into.
P.T. Barnum's prophetic words. I think this is interesting to watch.
Who cares. (shrug)

I can't stop buying something I wasn't buying anyway.
(09-04-2018, 10:33 PM)Cuzz Wrote: Who cares. (shrug)

I wasn't buying their shoes. But I'm sure that I've got some hats and shirts or sweats with their logo on them. I think that there is more to this than what we see at 1st glance. Nike is a major sponsor of the NFL. I don't watch pro sports these days. But it is a multi-billion dollar indusrty. This was a polarizing move by Nike. I'm sure they calculated it to be a net gain or they would not have done it.
(09-05-2018, 06:44 AM)GCG Wrote:

I wasn't buying their shoes. But I'm sure that I've got some hats and shirts or sweats with their logo on them. I think that there is more to this than what we see at 1st glance. Nike is a major sponsor of the NFL. I don't watch pro sports these days. But it is a multi-billion dollar indusrty. This was a polarizing move by Nike. I'm sure they calculated it to be a net gain or they would not have done it.

I avoid any logo wear. I've never seen why I should pay anyone for the privilege of advertising for them. They should pay me.

You're probably right. Nike has been around the block a time or two so they probably think they know what they are doing. Businesses have been wrong before though so it will be interesting to watch.
He was already under contract to Nike.
I’m not sure how many old fat white guys buy Nike stuff right now, so I imagine this doesn’t impact their sales much at all, and they might see an increase.
Certainly this gets them multi million advertising for free.
I think they know exactly what they are doing. Any boycott mounted by people who care about something like this is laughable. 

(09-04-2018, 06:11 PM)GCG Wrote: Good move or no? 

I never really bought into Kap's motives. He didn't say one thing about social injustice while he was a star QB. It wasn't until he got benched for poor performance that he started taking a knee. Once he got the attention that he craved, he just kept running with it. Reminds me of Al Gore and global warming. Sure they believe in their cause(s)... but that's not the driving force behind their actions. 

Now, back to Nike. By hiring Kap, they have entered the political arena. They have every right to do so. And I have every right to NOT want to buy shoes or clothing from an operation that would help give voice to someone who has motives that I do not buy into.

It looks to me like you WANT to believe Colin Kaepernick was not or is not sincere. Your logic that It wasn't until he got benched for poor performance that he started taking a knee.
Makes no sense at all to me.

I think it makes more sense that when he was benched he would be LESS likely to do anything that might keep him benched.

Once he got the attention that he craved, he just kept running with it

Well of course. That was his point from the start. Of course you think he craved attention for himself for whatever reason.
He got a lot of attention for his cause  why on earth not keep running with it?

And your hatred of Al Gore STILL!!!  boggles the imagination . Especially since he was one of the first to bring climate change to light and he now been proven to have been right the entire time people like you were mocking him.
^Fire season 2018 likes this post.^!
(09-05-2018, 03:38 PM)bbqboy Wrote: ^Fire season 2018 likes this post.^!

Huh? Blink
(09-05-2018, 02:34 PM)tvguy Wrote:

It looks to me like you WANT to believe Colin Kaepernick was not or is not sincere. Your logic that It wasn't until he got benched for poor performance that he started taking a knee.

I think it makes more sense that when he was benched he would be LESS likely to do anything that might keep him benched.

Well of course. That was his point from the start. Of course you think he craved attention for himself for whatever reason.

And your hatred of Al Gore STILL!!!  boggles the imagination . Especially since he was one of the first to bring climate change to light and he now been proven to have been right the entire time people like you were mocking him.

Do you need a hug? What boggles the mind is your assertion that he has been proven right. But that's not what I brought up and you know it. I say he cares more about the spotlight than about the cause. I believe that about both of them. There is no way for me to prove it... just as there is no way for you to prove otherwise.
(09-05-2018, 06:44 AM)GCG Wrote:

I don't own anything Nike; doesn't mean it's not significant.
(09-05-2018, 04:14 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 03:38 PM)bbqboy Wrote: ^Fire season 2018 likes this post.^!

Huh? Blink

I got it.
(09-05-2018, 05:29 PM)GCG Wrote:

Do you need a hug? What boggles the mind is your assertion that he has been proven right. But that's not what I brought up and you know it. I say he cares more about the spotlight than about the cause. I believe that about both of them. There is no way for me to prove it... just as there is no way for you to prove otherwise.

I don't need a hug. It's not me hating on Gore and Kaepernick , maybe need one? Razz

I knew there was no way I could say what I thought without pissing you off Smiling . I really can't understand the hatred towards Gore. It all stems from theories and politics and nothing I see that's real.
There is no evidence that he is invested his time energy and money just to fatten his wallet. And some of his predictions were exaggerated but even so I can't understand how anyone is overlooking how he was one of the first to bring Climate change to the forefront and to explain that is IS caused by human beings.

And who was mocked and ridiculed. And now what he said is widely accepted by the works leading experts.

I guess there is no way to prove what you believe or what I believe. It seems to me your beliefs are more because you don't like either one of these people.
I have to admit I like Gore. I read his book which was not only about climate change but about his deep concern for our environment. Like I have.
As for Kaepernick I don't like or dislike him. I simply find that it makes more sense that he actually believes he is raising awareness for his cause than just wanting attention as you believe.
And then there's the fact that he donated a million bucks to several different organizations and from what I've read he is not done.. That doesn't sound selfish to me.
(09-05-2018, 08:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I don't need a hug. It's not me hating on Gore and Kaepernick , maybe need one? Razz

I knew there was no way I could say what I thought without pissing you off Smiling . I really can't understand the hatred towards Gore. It all stems from theories and politics and nothing I see that's real.
There is no evidence that he is invested his time energy and money just to fatten his wallet. And some of his predictions were exaggerated but even so I can't understand how anyone is overlooking how he was one of the first to bring Climate change to the forefront and to explain that is IS caused by human beings.

And who was mocked and ridiculed. And now what he said is widely accepted by the works leading experts.

I guess there is no way to prove what you believe or what I believe. It seems to me your beliefs are more because you don't like either one of these people.
I have to admit I like Gore. I read his book which was not only about climate change but about his deep concern for our environment. Like I have.
As for Kaepernick I don't like or dislike him. I simply find that it makes more sense that he actually believes he is raising awareness for his cause than just wanting attention as you believe.
And then there's the fact that he donated a million bucks to several different organizations and from what I've read he is not done.. That doesn't sound selfish to me.
Reread my original post. At the most I doubted their true motives. Not exactly "hating" on them. But, in all honesty, I don't like many politicians... and I can honestly say that about both parties. But I do find Gore to be particularly disingenuous. However, I think that I can honestly say that I dislike Trump more than Gore... but for different reasons.
I was thinking about this. I lost friends in the Vietnam war and it's a wonder I didn't die there.
I believe it was totally an unjust war and was not even being fought to win. I didn't think so when I enlisted and  volunteered to go to Vietnam,
I was an ignorant clueless 17 year old kid who along with my mother was fed a ton of bullshit about the electrical training I was supposed to receive. What I actually got was absurdly minimal and all it did was qualify me to be the one with the radio on my back. 
I didn't learn about the war being a sham from the protestors and hippies. I learned if from other GI's who were there.
So if some hippie burned the flag to protest that war. And because of him and others the war ended ONE DAY earlier.

I can't find fault with them anymore than with Colin Kaepernick.
(09-06-2018, 05:02 PM)GCG Wrote:
(09-05-2018, 08:41 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Reread my original post. At the most I doubted their true motives. Not exactly "hating" on them. But, in all honesty, I don't like many politicians... and I can honestly say that about both parties. But I do find Gore to be particularly disingenuous. However, I think that I can honestly say that I dislike Trump more than Gore... but for different reasons.
Smiling Other than Nixon I've never hated anyone as much as Trump. With Nixon it was because he was dishonest and he let the Vietnam war actually accelerate instead of ending it like he said.

With Trump the things I dislike about him are endless. He's a child playing a role badly.
(09-06-2018, 05:16 PM)tvguy Wrote: I was thinking about this. I lost friends in the Vietnam war and it's a wonder I didn't die there.
I believe it was totally an unjust war and was not even being fought to win. I didn't think so when I enlisted and  volunteered to go to Vietnam,
I was an ignorant clueless 17 year old kid who along with my mother was fed a ton of bullshit about the electrical training I was supposed to receive. What I actually got was absurdly minimal and all it did was qualify me to be the one with the radio on my back. 
I didn't learn about the war being a sham from the protestors and hippies. I learned if from other GI's who were there.
So if some hippie burned the flag to protest that war. And because of him and others the war ended ONE DAY earlier.

I can't find fault with them anymore than with Colin Kaepernick.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk
Apparently it's working out good for them....

Nike’s online sales have surged in the wake of it's "Just Do It" campaign featuring Colin Kaepernick.
A report from Edison Trends said the company’s online sales grew 31 percent from Sunday through Tuesday. The surge was better than the 17 percent increase recorded last year during the same period, the report stated.
The digital research company amassed the data after studying purchases from three million Americans through receipts, Fortune reported. The company looked for any Nike product purchased through the company itself and 200 other retail outlets.

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2018/09/08...paign.html
[Image: 709336f434db1e26ca3f0d800a904d67.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk