We have a dog issue.
My wife and I are dog people. We've always had a dog or two around and they've always been house dogs. We lost a couple of labs 2 years ago, (old age and cancer), and we ended up getting a yellow lab, (Max), from a couple that couldn't give him the attention that he needed. Max is awesome and happy as hell. He is not the problem.

About 13 months ago my younger sister was hit by a car and killed. She had 2 dogs that she doted on. But no one would take the older one so we ended up bringing her up here and we've have her since last Spring. She is an older mongrel, (probably 11 or 12 yrs old), and has always been a little snippy until she gets to know someone. Other than that she is as sweet as can be. The other day she bit my youngest daughter's boyfriend a few times. Nothing too vicious but she was not playing. She just walked up to him as he was sitting at the table and bit him. 

So now things get a little dicey. Our oldest daughter is going to have a baby in early Feb. She lives right around the corner and that baby will be spending a lot of time in our home. There is no way that we are comfortable having this snippy little dog around the baby and the dog is going to have to go. We will not put her in a shelter, even a no-kill shelter will not work. But no one is going to want this dog. I really don't know what to do with her. I almost think it would be kinder to put her down than to put her in a shelter. It's possible that we could take her back down to LA and let some other family member deal with her. 

I'm at a loss.
(12-28-2018, 11:30 AM)GCG Wrote: My wife and I are dog people. We've always had a dog or two around and they've always been house dogs. We lost a couple of labs 2 years ago, (old age and cancer), and we ended up getting a yellow lab, (Max), from a couple that couldn't give him the attention that he needed. Max is awesome and happy as hell. He is not the problem.

About 13 months ago my younger sister was hit by a car and killed. She had 2 dogs that she doted on. But no one would take the older one so we ended up bringing her up here and we've have her since last Spring. She is an older mongrel, (probably 11 or 12 yrs old), and has always been a little snippy until she gets to know someone. Other than that she is as sweet as can be. The other day she bit my youngest daughter's boyfriend a few times. Nothing too vicious but she was not playing. She just walked up to him as he was sitting at the table and bit him. 

So now things get a little dicey. Our oldest daughter is going to have a baby in early Feb. She lives right around the corner and that baby will be spending a lot of time in our home. There is no way that we are comfortable having this snippy little dog around the baby and the dog is going to have to go. We will not put her in a shelter, even a no-kill shelter will not work. But no one is going to want this dog. I really don't know what to do with her. I almost think it would be kinder to put her down than to put her in a shelter. It's possible that we could take her back down to LA and let some other family member deal with her. 

I'm at a loss.
  Are you your wife or your daughter a member of any local Facebook groups? Because you could post a pic of the dog and an explanation and try to find someone who might take her.
Perhaps an older person who lives alone.
That's pretty much what the animal shelter would do. Our animal shelter actually is pretty much a no kill shelter why is that not an option?
I guess this is your answer....I almost think it would be kinder to put her down than to put her in a shelter.

But in the shelter the dog has a chance to be adopted.
(12-28-2018, 12:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 11:30 AM)GCG Wrote: My wife and I are dog people. We've always had a dog or two around and they've always been house dogs. We lost a couple of labs 2 years ago, (old age and cancer), and we ended up getting a yellow lab, (Max), from a couple that couldn't give him the attention that he needed. Max is awesome and happy as hell. He is not the problem.

I'm at a loss.
  Are you your wife or your daughter a member of any local Facebook groups? Because you could post a pic of the dog and an explanation and try to find someone who might take her.
Perhaps an older person who lives alone.
That's pretty much what the animal shelter would do. Our animal shelter actually is pretty much a no kill shelter why is that not an option?
I guess this is your answer....I almost think it would be kinder to put her down than to put her in a shelter.

But in the shelter the dog has a chance to be adopted.
I agree with TVg... a shelter should at least be a chance at a new home. Even a "kill" shelter... I mean, If you're considering putting the dog down any way.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Wonky might be someone willing to step up and help if anyone can reach out to him.
We won't be putting her down. I was just making the comment that in some ways I think it's more humane than putting her in a shelter... which would likely be for life given her age. We will likely try to find her a home via Facebook or Craigslist... we'd even pay to make sure that her shots are up to date etc...

I wonder if a shelter would take a dog and try to find a home for it while other options were explored??
(12-28-2018, 01:41 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Wonky might be someone willing to step up and help if anyone can reach out to him.
He said could never have a dog because they have a cat.
(12-28-2018, 02:15 PM)GCG Wrote: We won't be putting her down. I was just making the comment that in some ways I think it's more humane than putting her in a shelter... which would likely be for life given her age. We will likely try to find her a home via Facebook or Craigslist... we'd even pay to make sure that her shots are up to date etc...

I wonder if a shelter would take a dog and try to find a home for it while other options were explored??

I would think so.
(12-28-2018, 02:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 02:15 PM)GCG Wrote: We won't be putting her down. I was just making the comment that in some ways I think it's more humane than putting her in a shelter... which would likely be for life given her age. We will likely try to find her a home via Facebook or Craigslist... we'd even pay to make sure that her shots are up to date etc...

I would think so.

I understand he said that, but I think he was worried if he got another dog he would "pass" before the dog and burden his wife.
(12-28-2018, 03:40 PM)Valuesize Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 02:46 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I would think so.

I understand he said that, but I think he was worried if he got another dog he would "pass" before the dog and burden his wife.
Maybe so. But what I remember was something like they could not have a dog as long as they had that cat. Because the cat gets scared and pisses on things.
I don't have any suggestions beyond what's been mentioned, but I think you are certainly doing the right thing for the safety of the infant.
(12-28-2018, 04:13 PM)GPnative Wrote: I don't have any suggestions beyond what's been mentioned, but I think you are certainly doing the right thing for the safety of the infant.
Absolutely!

(12-28-2018, 05:22 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 04:13 PM)GPnative Wrote: I don't have any suggestions beyond what's been mentioned, but I think you are certainly doing the right thing for the safety of the infant.
Absolutely!

Oh for sure! I get so mad when I read about little kids being hurt by aggressive dogs. And not mad at the dogs... mad at the owners!
(12-28-2018, 07:22 PM)GCG Wrote:
(12-28-2018, 05:22 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
Absolutely!

Oh for sure! I get so mad when I read about little kids being hurt by aggressive dogs. And not mad at the dogs... mad at the owners!
Yep. For sure.