stormy weather next year
Quote:They’ve been seen in Santa Anita, crossing a quiet residential street in a thick, fluttering line.
Hundreds of them have been seen along the 105 Freeway, where they furiously flapped their small wings as if they were trying to catch a flight at Los Angeles International Airport.
The black-and-orange insects that seem to be everywhere in Southern California aren’t monarchs and they aren’t moths. They are called painted ladies, and these butterflies are migrating by the millions across the state.

https://www.bakersfield.com/ap/national/...4a4dc.html

For those of us that know chaos theory and the butterfly effect.
(03-14-2019, 12:38 AM)chuck white Wrote:
Quote:They’ve been seen in Santa Anita, crossing a quiet residential street in a thick, fluttering line.
Hundreds of them have been seen along the 105 Freeway, where they furiously flapped their small wings as if they were trying to catch a flight at Los Angeles International Airport.
The black-and-orange insects that seem to be everywhere in Southern California aren’t monarchs and they aren’t moths. They are called painted ladies, and these butterflies are migrating by the millions across the state.

https://www.bakersfield.com/ap/national/...4a4dc.html

For those of us that know chaos theory and the butterfly effect.

Here's what they look like. I see them at my place.

[Image: Painted-Lady-Butterfly-iStock.jpg?ve=1&tl=1]
That's the one butterfly I always see the most of, year after year, followed by Swallowtails. Monarchs I see, but not too often. And of course....cabbage butterflies!!!
(03-14-2019, 12:10 PM)Juniper Wrote: That's the one butterfly I always see the most of, year after year, followed by Swallowtails. Monarchs I see, but not too often.  And of course....cabbage butterflies!!!
Me too. But I don't know what a cabbage butterfly is.

OK I looked it up and it's just a white butterfly with a couple spots. I have a LOT of those. I think my pot plants attract them.
I kill them all summer long because they lay eggs on my plants and then the worm kills the branch it lives in.

There is almost always a pair of them.
What about these Juniper? I see these often.
I took a pic of one last year and then looked it up. when I saw this thread I though the painted lady was the same bug.
It's not.

[Image: butterfly-a.jpg]
(03-14-2019, 12:25 PM)tvguy Wrote: What about these Juniper? I see these often.
I took a pic of one last year and then looked it up. when I saw this thread I though the painted lady was the same bug.
It's not.

[Image: butterfly-a.jpg]

I do see those. Maybe not as much as painted ladies.  Maybe I'm just confusing the painted ladies because that's the caterpillar of choice for classrooms and I've seen so many of them.  Plus there's mourning cloak butterflies. I used to see those further south...only rarely do I see one up here.