Illinois Prosecutors Bar Assoc. statement of Smollett’s case dismissal
(04-01-2019, 01:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 01:17 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 10:22 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 09:54 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: I hope he is charged federally.  He mailed a hoax hate letter to himself filled with a white powder that was later determined to be aspirin.  That is a federal crime.  He needs to pay a price for what he did.  Heck, they have the two brothers on video buying the rope and the bleach.....

Here's a question or two for you...

If he wrote a "hate letter" to himself, who was threatened by it? And if he sent himself aspirin powder, again who was threatened by it? Was it in fact a federal crime if the recipient knew it wasn't a danger or even a real threat of danger? It seems to me what he is accused of doing is more in the nature of filing a false police report.

Who was threatened by an act designed to start a race war?  Gee, can't think of anyone being hurt by that.  By golly, you're right.
You have a good point SD but I don't know why you had to be such a smart ass about it.

Laughing Coming from you, calling anyone else a smart ass is absurd.
(04-01-2019, 02:31 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 12:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 09:54 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: I hope he is charged federally.  He mailed a hoax hate letter to himself filled with a white powder that was later determined to be aspirin.  That is a federal crime.  He needs to pay a price for what he did.  Heck, they have the two brothers on video buying the rope and the bleach.....

If he wrote a "hate letter" to himself, who was threatened by it? And if he sent himself aspirin powder, again who was threatened by it? Was it in fact a federal crime if the recipient knew it wasn't a danger or even a real threat of danger? It seems to me what he is accused of doing is more in the nature of filing a false police report.

I'm not sure if it matters that he mailed the letter to himself. He used the USPS to perpetuate a hoax.
Kind of like you being in New York and mailing some dope to yourself. Who would be threatened by that?

It seems to me what he is accused of doing is more in the nature of filing a false police report.

Sure he WAS accused of that but they dropped the charges.
At this point I think people who think it was a total injustice to drop all the charges are just hoping the mail fraud case will actually bring some justice.

OK I looked it up LOL
 Mail fraud is one of the most common federal criminal charges. The use of the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) or a private interstate carrier to commit a crime of deceit gives feds an easy opportunity to claim jurisdiction. The following article provides a definition of this crime and a discussion of two of the most famous mail fraud convictions in history.

Definition of Mail Fraud
The term fraud includes any scheme:
  • To obtain money or property under false pretenses; or
  • To sell, distribute, exchange, supply, or use counterfeits.
A person commits mail fraud when the scheme involves the mailing of something associated with the fraud. Mailing contracts, receipts, and communications regarding a fraudulent deal could all meet the law's requirements. The communications are not limited to the USPS and include mail sent through private and commercial interstate carriers.
The use of interstate mails is important because the federal government's jurisdiction is limited to matters that impact multiple states. Crimes that take place entirely within a single state fall under that state's laws, but the Commerce Clause of the Constitution grants the federal government jurisdiction over interstate matters.
Mail fraud is punishable by a fine and imprisonment of up to 20 years. If the crime involves benefits connected to a presidentially declared major disaster or emergency, or affects a financial institution, there are enhanced penalties that include fines of up to $1 million and imprisonment for up to 30 years.

Most of that doesn't seem to apply. But you do have a good point. I'm sure that would stick.

I wasn't trying to defend the guy. I think what he did was incredibly stupid and he should suffer some consequences including some reimbursement for the cost of the investigation. Which I don't doubt he will. I'm just wondering about all the hoopla that it's created. It seems like a lot of air time for the story.
Every time I watch the national news I'm amazed at all the hoopla and at the stories that someone decided are news worthy.
(04-01-2019, 02:49 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:

Who was threatened by an act designed to start a race war?  Gee, can't think of anyone being hurt by that.  By golly, you're right.
You have a good point SD but I don't know why you had to be such a smart ass about it.

Why does it matter how I act to anyone? What I said about you was either  right or wrong. Are you denying you comment was VERY smart ass?
WTF I thought you were the child of God?
(04-01-2019, 02:31 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 12:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I'm not sure if it matters that he mailed the letter to himself. He used the USPS to perpetuate a hoax.
Kind of like you being in New York and mailing some dope to yourself. Who would be threatened by that?

It seems to me what he is accused of doing is more in the nature of filing a false police report.

Sure he WAS accused of that but they dropped the charges.
At this point I think people who think it was a total injustice to drop all the charges are just hoping the mail fraud case will actually bring some justice.

OK I looked it up LOL
 Mail fraud is one of the most common federal criminal charges. The use of the U.S. Postal Service (USPS) or a private interstate carrier to commit a crime of deceit gives feds an easy opportunity to claim jurisdiction. The following article provides a definition of this crime and a discussion of two of the most famous mail fraud convictions in history.

Definition of Mail Fraud
The term fraud includes any scheme:
  • To obtain money or property under false pretenses; or
  • To sell, distribute, exchange, supply, or use counterfeits.
A person commits mail fraud when the scheme involves the mailing of something associated with the fraud. Mailing contracts, receipts, and communications regarding a fraudulent deal could all meet the law's requirements. The communications are not limited to the USPS and include mail sent through private and commercial interstate carriers.
The use of interstate mails is important because the federal government's jurisdiction is limited to matters that impact multiple states. Crimes that take place entirely within a single state fall under that state's laws, but the Commerce Clause of the Constitution grants the federal government jurisdiction over interstate matters.
Mail fraud is punishable by a fine and imprisonment of up to 20 years. If the crime involves benefits connected to a presidentially declared major disaster or emergency, or affects a financial institution, there are enhanced penalties that include fines of up to $1 million and imprisonment for up to 30 years.

Most of that doesn't seem to apply. But you do have a good point. I'm sure that would stick.

I wasn't trying to defend the guy. I think what he did was incredibly stupid and he should suffer some consequences including some reimbursement for the cost of the investigation. Which I don't doubt he will. I'm just wondering about all the hoopla that it's created. It seems like a lot of air time for the story.

IMO Anytime something happens like a cop shooting a black guy. It instills more hatred toward whites from blacks. Especially toward cops.
And for every true crime committed against a black from a cop there are many many more stories that are total bullshit that make the news.
So anything like the Lies from Smollet can indeed encourage hatred towards cops and some people actually act out on it.
Some cops are actually ambushed and murdered.

I Believe and it's hard for me to think otherwise that blacks are treated better now than any other time in our history. And people like Smollett and Sharpton for whatever reason still want to act like that is not true.
(04-01-2019, 03:17 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 10:22 AM)Cuzz Wrote: Here's a question or two for you...

Why does it matter how I act to anyone? What I said about you was either  right or wrong. Are you denying you comment was VERY smart ass?

So my belief in God negates my right to use sarcasm? Laughing  Belief somehow limits my free speech? Laughing Laughing I find it hard to believe you are that ignorant, so I will assume you are having a bad day and need to take it out on someone else.  It's ok, I can take it.
(04-01-2019, 03:40 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 01:17 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: Who was threatened by an act designed to start a race war?  Gee, can't think of anyone being hurt by that.  By golly, you're right.

So my belief in God negates my right to use sarcasm? Laughing  Belief somehow limits my free speech? Laughing Laughing I find it hard to believe you are that ignorant, so I will assume you are having a bad day and need to take it out on someone else.  It's ok, I can take it.

No one said you don't have a right to act any way you want. But when your posts stink with the smell of I'M BETTER that the heathens then maybe you should actually act like you are.

I only asked why you had to be such a smart ass to cuzz. You still haven't answered but I don't really care. It was a rhetoric question.
(04-02-2019, 01:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 01:32 PM)tvguy Wrote: You have a good point SD but I don't know why you had to be such a smart ass about it.

No one said you don't have a right to act any way you want. But when your posts stink with the smell of I'M BETTER that the heathens then maybe you should actually act like you are.

I only asked why you had to be such a smart ass to cuzz. You still haven't answered but I don't really care. It was a rhetoric question.

You literally have said, in our comments here, that YOU can be a smart ass, but due to my simple disagreement with you on a deity, that I do not have the same right, and have somehow misbehaved on the forum. So yes, in a fashion you you DID just say that I don't have the right to act any way I want.

Then you go further and say my posts stink of the smell that I am better than others.  I do not see that at all.  What I do see, is that you KNOWING I am a believer somehow skews in your mind, any words that I type on the page.  You look for it, even to the point of imagining it.  I think the only stench on my posts is disagreeing with you on some things.

So now that I have shown you (sigh... I know you don't get it, even color coded) how you have indeed told my that my rights to free speech are limited due to my Christian beliefs, I really only have one question for you.

Who the HELL do you think YOU are?
(04-02-2019, 04:05 PM)Someones Dad Wrote:
(04-02-2019, 01:51 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-01-2019, 02:49 PM)Someones Dad Wrote: Laughing Coming from you, calling anyone else a smart ass is absurd.

You literally have said, in our comments here, that YOU can be a smart ass, but due to my simple disagreement with you on a deity, that I do not have the same right, and have somehow misbehaved on the forum. So yes, in a fashion you you DID just say that I don't have the right to act any way I want.

Then you go further and say my posts stink of the smell that I am better than others.  I do not see that at all.  What I do see, is that you KNOWING I am a believer somehow skews in your mind, any words that I type on the page.  You look for it, even to the point of imagining it.  I think the only stench on my posts is disagreeing with you on some things.

So now that I have shown you (sigh... I know you don't get it, even color coded) how you have indeed told my that my rights to free speech are limited due to my Christian beliefs, I really only have one question for you.

Who the HELL do you think YOU are?

I am God.

You are drowning in your own words. You were a total smart ass to cuzz. I simply asked why. Then you said that was rich coming from me.
I said what does what I do have to do with YOU being a smart ass to cuzz. You've never said. You just babble on.

I brought up your religion because I thought you Christians were supposed better than being a Jackass/smarts ass to Cuzz for no apparent reason.

Though shall not be a Jackass. It says that right in the bible. In the King Edward version