Taking away your vote
The Oregon legislature just took away your vote in Presidential elections.  The governor will mostly likely sign the bill.  

What am I talking about?  They just passed a bill that would give the states electoral votes to whichever candidate wins the US popular vote.  So Oregon could conceivably vote give our electoral votes to a candidate that did not win the popular vote in the state of Oregon.  Our legislature if give a bid middle finger to the US Constitution and Oregon voters.  If you can’t win, change the rules.  Trump Derangement Syndrome on steroids.....
(06-10-2019, 08:59 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: The Oregon legislature just took away your vote in Presidential elections.  The governor will mostly likely sign the bill.  

What am I talking about?  They just passed a bill that would give the states electoral votes to whichever candidate wins the US popular vote.  So Oregon could conceivably vote give our electoral votes to a candidate that did not win the popular vote in the state of Oregon.  Our legislature if give a bid middle finger to the US Constitution and Oregon voters.  If you can’t win, change the rules.  Trump Derangement Syndrome on steroids.....

So how would that have effected the last election?
Didn't our votes go to Hillary anyway?
(06-10-2019, 05:08 PM)chuck white Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 08:59 AM)SFLiberal Wrote: The Oregon legislature just took away your vote in Presidential elections.  The governor will mostly likely sign the bill.  

Yeah... I don't really see the upside of this for the left. All of Oregon's electoral votes will already go blue. If the GOP wins the national popular vote then, if I am reading this correctly, Oregon's electoral votes will go red.

I bet she doesn't sign it... or it is being explained wrong here.
(06-11-2019, 06:23 PM)GCG Wrote:

Yeah... I don't really see the upside of this for the left. All of Oregon's electoral votes will already go blue. If the GOP wins the national popular vote then, if I am reading this correctly, Oregon's electoral votes will go red.

I never understood why they didn't just spit the electoral votes to reflect the state popular vote. For instance Oregon's 7 electoral votes would have been something like 4 votes for Clinton and 3 for trump in 2016. I think some other states do that.

Why bother to vote.  I thought the Dems were all about everyone’s voting counting.  If the state is just going to award our electoral votes according to how the other states vote. Then why bother voting?

And here’s another thought.  138,000,000,000 people voted in the last presidential election.  Let’s say one candidate wins by 6,900,000.  That’s left than .5% of the vote.  You know states that are going to this winner take all scheme would demand a national recoil this before awarding their electoral votes if the Dem candidate was on the losing side.  The counldn’t accept that Hillary lost the last election which is the whole reason they are attempting to re-write the rules, knowing they can’t do it the right way by backing a constitutional amendment
(06-12-2019, 10:09 AM)SFLiberal Wrote:

Why bother to vote.  I thought the Dems were all about everyone’s voting counting.  If the state is just going to award our electoral votes according to how the other states vote. Then why bother voting?

And here’s another thought.  138,000,000,000 people voted in the last presidential election.  Let’s say one candidate wins by 6,900,000.  That’s left than .5% of the vote.  You know states that are going to this winner take all scheme would demand a national recoil this before awarding their electoral votes if the Dem candidate was on the losing side.  The counldn’t accept that Hillary lost the last election which is the whole reason they are attempting to re-write the rules, knowing they can’t do it the right way by backing a constitutional amendment

I think your numbers are off by a large margin. There isn't 138 billion people in the US. Or the world for that matter.
(06-12-2019, 10:41 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-12-2019, 10:09 AM)SFLiberal Wrote:

I think your numbers are off by a large margin. There isn't 138 billion people in the US. Or the world for that matter.

Well, if you count the dead people, you could get to 138 billion.
Most dead people vote Republican anyway.