reporting
   TRAIL, Ore. – A man died and another is presumed drowned after a reporting boating incident on Lost Creek Lake over the weekend.

The Jackson County Sheriff’s Office said on the evening of June 9, a woman called 911 and claimed two men had drowned in the lake east of Trail.
When search and rescue crews responded, they were able to locate one victim unresponsive in the water. He was identified as 25-year-old Irving Fuentes. He was taken to a hospital where he was pronounced dead.
The other reported victim, 29-year-old Juan Carlos Fuentes, could not be located before darkness fell. Search crews said they would return to the lake Monday morning to continue looking for the missing man.
According to investigators, both men were brother and were boating with family members when the incident occurred. They were not wearing life jackets.
The circumstances around the incident remain under investigation.

East of trail is how lost creek is described? I saw in the comments about this someone saying>>>>>

Thank for the report. However, I do suggest proof reading before posting. Spelling and grammatical errors undermine our confidence in the accuracy of the report.

I didn't see much that was wrong and I don't see anything spelled wrong???
Wait...can you explain the circumstances of this? ^ Was that here? There? Everywhere? Who told you that?

Besides Trail is in lower case...it should be proper and the little arrows...how silly!

But that aside, I'm confused what this is? I know about the drowning.
(06-10-2019, 01:35 PM)Juniper Wrote: Wait...can you explain the circumstances of this?  ^  Was that here? There? Everywhere? Who told you that?

Besides Trail is in lower case...it should be proper and the little arrows...how silly!

But that aside, I'm confused what this is?  I know about the drowning.

It was an NBC news report on FB
Too many beers is my guess.
(06-10-2019, 05:11 PM)chuck white Wrote: Too many beers is my guess.

We'll see.
Beers and couldn’t swim. That’s my guess.
It's still confusing to  me. They said.....  a boating incident sent them into the water. Then it says "They were tubing and then fell off the tube,"

If you fall off of a tube what can't you get back on? My guess is that one guy who fell of the tube could not swim to it and his brother who tried to save him by jumping off the boat couldn't swim well either.
I'm not buying that the cold water was the culprit

Richards says alcohol was not involved at this point in the investigation.

TRAIL, Ore. – A man is dead and his brother is missing and presumed dead after a boating incident sent them into the water at Lost Creek Lake on Sunday night.
"They were tubing and then fell off the tube," Sgt. Shawn Richards with search and rescue said. "One went to help the other one and unfortunately both [succumbed] to the probably cold temperatures of the water."
A woman called 911 just before 8 p.m. to report two men had drowned.
Deputies and firefighters responded to the lake and found 25-year-old Irving Fuentes unresponsive in the water.
Medics rushed Fuentes to Providence Medford Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
Deputies searched until darkness for a second man, 29-year-old Juan Carlos Fuentes. The search resumed Monday.
The two men are brothers from White City, deputies said.
Tubing accident
Jackson County Search and Rescue responded to a double drowning at Lost Creek Lake Sunday night.
The 8-person family rented a boat from the Lost Creek Lake. One of the people on the boat called in what happened, according to Richards.
While the boat ramp closes at 9:00 p.m. for the evening, rentals must be returned to the Lost Creek Lake Marina by 8:00 p.m. according to the marina's website.
Richards says alcohol was not involved at this point in the investigation. SAR is continuing to investigate the accident.
"We're just trying to harp on, 'Wear a life jacket,'" Richards said.
Life jackets are available to borrow for free at the Lost Creek Lake boat ramp near the marina.
Richards said SAR has not had a boating accident, "in quite some time."
"Be sure that you know it will be cold water," Richards generally advised. "Make sure you have all the safety equipment you need and that you have good boat operators."
Jackson County Sheriff's Office patrol deputies in the area and Jackson County Fire District 4 were first on scene.
(06-10-2019, 07:02 PM)tvguy Wrote: It's still confusing to  me. They said.....  a boating incident sent them into the water. Then it says "They were tubing and then fell off the tube,"

If you fall off of a tube what can't you get back on? My guess is that one guy who fell of the tube could not swim to it and his brother who tried to save him by jumping off the boat couldn't swim well either.

TRAIL, Ore. – A man is dead and his brother is missing and presumed dead after a boating incident sent them into the water at Lost Creek Lake on Sunday night.
"They were tubing and then fell off the tube," Sgt. Shawn Richards with search and rescue said. "One went to help the other one and unfortunately both [succumbed] to the probably cold temperatures of the water."
Deputies and firefighters responded to the lake and found 25-year-old Irving Fuentes unresponsive in the water.
Medics rushed Fuentes to Providence Medford Medical Center, where he was pronounced dead.
Deputies searched until darkness for a second man, 29-year-old Juan Carlos Fuentes. The search resumed Monday.
Tubing accident
Jackson County Search and Rescue responded to a double drowning at Lost Creek Lake Sunday night.
The 8-person family rented a boat from the Lost Creek Lake. One of the people on the boat called in what happened, according to Richards.
While the boat ramp closes at 9:00 p.m. for the evening, rentals must be returned to the Lost Creek Lake Marina by 8:00 p.m. according to the marina's website.
Richards says alcohol was not involved at this point in the investigation. SAR is continuing to investigate the accident.
Life jackets are available to borrow for free at the Lost Creek Lake boat ramp near the marina.
"Be sure that you know it will be cold water," Richards generally advised. "Make sure you have all the safety equipment you need and that you have good boat operators."
Jackson County Sheriff's Office patrol deputies in the area and Jackson County Fire District 4 were first on scene.

Well.....I'm confused about what you're confused about. Two grown men without life jackets in the lake. THEY must have thought they were good swimmers.
(06-10-2019, 10:14 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(06-10-2019, 07:02 PM)tvguy Wrote: It's still confusing to  me. They said.....  a boating incident sent them into the water. Then it says "They were tubing and then fell off the tube,"

Tubing accident

Well.....I'm confused about what you're confused about. Two grown men without life jackets in the lake. THEY must have thought they were good swimmers.
I don't know how you arrive at that conclusion. They or at least one was on a tube. how does one just fall off a tube? 

This makes sense to you? They said.....  a boating incident sent them into the water. Then it says "They were tubing and then fell off the tube,"

(06-10-2019, 11:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Tubing accident

I don't know how you arrive at that conclusion. They or at least one was on a tube. how does one just fall off a tube? 

This makes sense to you? They said.....  a boating incident sent them into the water. Then it says "They were tubing and then fell off the tube,"

It's not so hard. I've been thrown out of a boat before. Literally thrown out. My mind registered a boat movement and then cold water just that fast. There wasn't any time to react at all. It happens.

And no one should underestimate the effect of cold water. Being able to swim and being a strong swimmer can be different things. And then some can barely swim at all.

The report is pretty light on the details... as many are.
One does not necessarily need to know how to swim if you know how to (easily) tread water. In this case, if they had known how, I say they would of survived. Hell, in my 20's I could of treaded water for hours and likely still could. That water is not Bearing Sea cold, it would take awhile to succumb to hypothermia, if at all.
(06-11-2019, 06:57 AM)Cuzz Wrote:

Tubing accident

It's not so hard. I've been thrown out of a boat before. Literally thrown out. My mind registered a boat movement and then cold water just that fast. There wasn't any time to react at all. It happens.

And no one should underestimate the effect of cold water. Being able to swim and being a strong swimmer can be different things. And then some can barely swim at all.

The report is pretty light on the details... as many are.

No  you are right it's not hard to be thrown out of a boat. But if that happened why does it say they fell off a tube LOL
(06-11-2019, 10:41 AM)GPnative Wrote: One does not necessarily need to know how to swim if you know how to (easily) tread water. In this case, if they had known how, I say they would of survived. Hell, in my 20's I could of treaded water for hours and likely still could. That water is not Bearing Sea cold, it would take awhile to succumb to hypothermia, if at all.

When I was in high school my Friend I were swimming at the local quarry. He decided to swim all the way across. And of course it was farther than it looked.
Any being a dumb ass kid I followed along, we were about 3/4 across when he was so tired that he was still swimming but not going anywhere.
So we stopped and I helped him stay afloat and tread water to get a little rest. It worked so we swam some more but not far until we had to do the same thing again. This scenario was repeated over and over until I was so exhausted I didn't know if I could make it.
Finally we managed to get about 30 feet from shore and even being that close I was in big trouble. I don't know how my friend stayed afloat because at that point I was no longer any help to him. And when it was starting to look like we were both going to drown 30 feet from shore..... I felt the bottom.
Anyway you mentioned being a strong swimmer at 20. I spent every summer of my childhood at the local swimming pool and just about every single day.
If not for that I think my friend and I would have both died that day. It's funny because I've never thought much about that my whole life until once my wife and I were talking(me mostly) about how nice it would have been to have had a career as a fireman, EMT or something where you could actually save a life. Then it kind of dawned on me that I had indeed saved a life. Smiling
(06-11-2019, 12:50 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 10:41 AM)GPnative Wrote: One does not necessarily need to know how to swim if you know how to (easily) tread water. In this case, if they had known how, I say they would of survived. Hell, in my 20's I could of treaded water for hours and likely still could. That water is not Bearing Sea cold, it would take awhile to succumb to hypothermia, if at all.

When I was in high school my Friend I were swimming at the local quarry. He decided to swim all the way across. And of course it was farther than it looked.
Any being a dumb ass kid I followed along, we were about 3/4 across when he was so tired that he was still swimming but not going anywhere.
So we stopped and I helped him stay afloat and tread water to get a little rest. It worked so we swam some more but not far until we had to do the same thing again. This scenario was repeated over and over until I was so exhausted I didn't know if I could make it.
Finally we managed to get about 30 feet from shore and even being that close I was in big trouble. I don't know how my friend stayed afloat because at that point I was no longer any help to him. And when it was starting to look like we were both going to drown 30 feet from shore..... I felt the bottom.
Anyway you mentioned being a strong swimmer at 20. I spent every summer of my childhood at the local swimming pool and just about every single day.
If not for that I think my friend and I would have both died that day. It's funny because I've never thought much about that my whole life until once my wife and I were talking(me mostly) about how nice it would have been to have had a career as a fireman, EMT or something where you could actually save a life. Then it kind of dawned on me that I had indeed saved a life. Smiling

Yes, and although I didn't clarify in my post, the treading water is assuming you are not dealing with currents and having to actively swim in current, river, etc. That's a different ball game, In a calm or semi calm lake scenario, if one knows how, you can tread water a LONG time, hours, exerting very little energy, you may actually give up from boredom before you actually get exhausted. It does not take much to stay afloat in calm waters.
Glad you were able to help your friend and both reach the other side  Smiling
(06-11-2019, 02:01 PM)GPnative Wrote:

Yes, and although I didn't clarify in my post, the treading water is assuming you are not dealing with currents and having to actively swim in current, river, etc. That's a different ball game, In a calm or semi calm lake scenario, if one knows how, you can tread water a LONG time, hours, exerting very little energy, you may actually give up from boredom before you actually get exhausted. It does not take much to stay afloat in calm waters.
Thanks.  Actually you don't even have to tread water. You can simply float. At least most can. I could never manage to do so when I was young because I had practically no body fat. I was too damn skinny.
My wife could when we were young but when I tried even after inhaling as much air as possible I would just sink LOL.

Tubing accident

No, most things are so poorly reported I NEVER trust that the news source reported completely accurately.
(06-11-2019, 03:34 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Tubing accident

No, most things are so poorly reported I NEVER trust that the news source reported completely accurately.

Yup. They hire the handicapped....... Remember when that was funny and OK to say Razz Laughing Laughing
(06-11-2019, 03:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Thanks.  Actually you don't even have to tread water. You can simply float. At least most can. I could never manage to do so when I was young because I had practically no body fat. I was too damn skinny.
My wife could when we were young but when I tried even after inhaling as much air as possible I would just sink LOL.

Yeah, I couldn't float or tread water when I was young either, for the same reason. I actually was flunked in swimming class in high school 'cause I couldn't stay afloat long enough, LOL. I could swim just fine but in the tread water for 15 minutes I would just sink. Never could pass swimming class because of that.   Sad Big Grin
(06-11-2019, 06:38 PM)Cuzz Wrote:
(06-11-2019, 03:00 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yeah, I couldn't float or tread water when I was young either, for the same reason. I actually was flunked in swimming class in high school 'cause I couldn't stay afloat long enough, LOL. I could swim just fine but in the tread water for 15 minutes I would just sink. Never could pass swimming class because of that.   Sad Big Grin
Laughing Laughing   We didn't have no stinking pool where I went to skool Sad
We did. The year after I graduated.
Our senior gift was a tile Indian at the bottom of the pool we never got to use.