PG&E Will never win.
Considering California is a bone dry tender box. With winds up to 80 miles per hour. And what happened at the Camp Fire  paradise. In my opinion attacking and criticizing them now for turning off power in these conditions is Just ignorant people That are not weighing all the factors
(10-27-2019, 07:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: Considering California is a bone dry tender box. With winds up to 80 miles per hour. And what happened at the Camp Fire  paradise. In my opinion attacking and criticizing them now for turning off power in these conditions is Just ignorant people That are not weighing all the factors

It seems like a mess.  I know we have more than one old forum member here who now lives down there and they are scrambling. They go days at a time without power. Then it's on. Then it's off. Now they are in the evacuation zone, now they are not, go now, no never mind.  Power off, power on.  What mess. TH has evacuated after days of this.
(10-27-2019, 07:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: Considering California is a bone dry tender box. With winds up to 80 miles per hour. And what happened at the Camp Fire  paradise. In my opinion attacking and criticizing them now for turning off power in these conditions is Just ignorant people That are not weighing all the factors

Yeah, but it's still tough on people. I can understand why they're angry.

I don't think PG&E has a great history when it comes to corporate decisions. Makes me wonder if they've been slacking on their line and right of way maintenance these many years.
(10-27-2019, 07:19 PM)Juniper Wrote:

It seems like a mess.  I know we have more than one old forum member here who now lives down there and they are scrambling. They go days at a time without power. Then it's on. Then it's off. Now they are in the evacuation zone, now they are not, go now, no never mind.  Power off, power on.  What mess. TH has evacuated after days of this.

TH ?
(10-27-2019, 07:21 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I don't think PG&E has a great history when it comes to corporate decisions. Makes me wonder if they've been slacking on their line and right of way maintenance these many years.

I wonder that too. And I wonder if PG&E is really at fault for all the fires then where were the fires all the year before this year and last year.
I understand that in past years Cal didn't have the drought condition or the crazy high winds. But there should be some record of fires stated and then extinguished.

People are all screaming saying PG&E kept all the money they should have spent on maintenance but so far I haven't heard what that is supposed to mean.
It could mean they haven't kept the trees cut back far enough from the lines. But consider how far a branch with leaves or pines needles can fly when winds are 60 or even 80 miles an hour. 74 MPH is considered a hurricane wind speed.

Seems to me like their work (linemen) should be inspected just like my work has always been.

(10-28-2019, 01:32 PM)tvguy Wrote:

I wonder that too. And I wonder if PG&E is really at fault for all the fires then where were the fires all the year before this year and last year.
I understand that in past years Cal didn't have the drought condition or the crazy high winds. But there should be some record of fires stated and then extinguished.

People are all screaming saying PG&E kept all the money they should have spent on maintenance but so far I haven't heard what that is supposed to mean.
It could mean they haven't kept the trees cut back far enough from the lines. But consider how far a branch with leaves or pines needles can fly when winds are 60 or even 80 miles an hour. 74 MPH is considered a hurricane wind speed.

Seems to me like their work (linemen) should be inspected just like my work has always been.

Well, CA has always had bone dry drought conditions and crazy high winds.  Always.  However, I'm not certain on the geography. In Southern California there are the Santa Ana winds and they are intense.  When I lived in Santa Cruz we didn't get those in the three or four years I lived there, and certainly the State is much more of a tinderbox than it was in my day. I don't remember crazy out of control fires in Southern California or Northern California either.  Yes, we had them, but not the way we do now. Just like the fires seem more intense now in Oregon than they did decades ago.  Certainly not to the point of having poisonous air and having to wear masks and flee your homes because the fires were so close.
(10-28-2019, 08:13 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Well, CA has always had bone dry drought conditions and crazy high winds.  Always.  However, I'm not certain on the geography. In Southern California there are the Santa Ana winds and they are intense.  When I lived in Santa Cruz we didn't get those in the three or four years I lived there, and certainly the State is much more of a tinderbox than it was in my day. I don't remember crazy out of control fires in Southern California or Northern California either.  Yes, we had them, but not the way we do now. Just like the fires seem more intense now in Oregon than they did decades ago.  Certainly not to the point of having poisonous air and having to wear masks and flee your homes because the fires were so close.

Well, CA has always had bone dry drought conditions and crazy high winds.

Well I've sure heard the term record breaking winds an awful lot lately. Also these winds are sustained and may last longer.

I don't remember any fires in the past where the fires were spreading 100 yards in 3 seconds. I don't remember firenadoes either LOL
(10-29-2019, 12:43 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-28-2019, 08:13 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Well, CA has always had bone dry drought conditions and crazy high winds.

Well I've sure heard the term record breaking winds an awful lot lately. Also these winds are sustained and may last longer.

I don't remember any fires in the past where the fires were spreading 100 yards in 3 seconds. I don't remember firenadoes either LOL
Yes, it's worse for sure. It's more frequent and more intense.