Spacex
Hurrah for egotistical billionaires!!  And something besides, Covid, Trump, and rioting to talk about.
I missed the launch but admittedly I didn't try very hard. I can't help but think the whole show was saturated with Elon Muskiness that just feels a bit slimy to me. I felt sorry for the fellows who had to wear those ugly suits (where were the anti-gravity belts?) and who are essentially reduced to the status of cargo.
Didn't watch.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
I didn't watch it live. I watched it post launch. It didn't feel TOO slimy. I'm ready for something else because everything else feels like lather, rinse, repeat, repeat, repeat, repeat. The same old comebacks and remarks about police brutality and rioting and Trump ad in finitum....
(05-30-2020, 10:55 PM)Juniper Wrote: Hurrah for egotistical billionaires!!  And something besides, Covid, Trump, and rioting to talk about.
Do you know much about Elon Musk? Maybe he is egotistical but I would say he was a genius and extremely impressive before saying he is egotistical LOL.
(05-31-2020, 07:28 AM)Cuzz Wrote: I missed the launch but admittedly I didn't try very hard. I can't help but think the whole show was saturated with Elon Muskiness that just feels a bit slimy to me. I felt sorry for the fellows who had to wear those ugly suits (where were the anti-gravity belts?) and who are essentially reduced to the status of cargo.
The suits do look funny. I think it reminded me of teletubbies LOL.

What is your problem with Musk? All I have read is factual info about him. Nothing derogatory?
 The two astronauts sure got a lot of air time for just being cargo Big Grin
I didn't watch. Because if you have seen one rocket blasting off you have seen them all LOL.
This guy Richard Garriott . Father was an astronaut so he grew up wanting to be the same but was turned down because of his eye site.
So he got rich and paid his way to become a private astronaut and went to space like pops  What a world.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richard_Garriott
(05-31-2020, 01:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 07:28 AM)Cuzz Wrote: I missed the launch but admittedly I didn't try very hard. I can't help but think the whole show was saturated with Elon Muskiness that just feels a bit slimy to me. I felt sorry for the fellows who had to wear those ugly suits (where were the anti-gravity belts?) and who are essentially reduced to the status of cargo.

What is your problem with Musk? All I have read is factual info about him. Nothing derogatory?

I'm not saying he's not smart or anything. Howard Hughs was a pretty smart and successful guy and still crazy. So yeah, I guess Musk is pretty arrogant, his money seems to make him that way.

I called them cargo because it's my understanding that these new SpaceX rockets are essentially automated and the "crew" doesn't really do anything but enjoy the ride. I'd think that would be little frustrating for highly trained astronauts.
(05-31-2020, 03:19 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

I'm not saying he's not smart or anything. Howard Hughs was a pretty smart and successful guy and still crazy. So yeah, I guess Musk is pretty arrogant, his money seems to make him that way.

I called them cargo because it's my understanding that these new SpaceX rockets are essentially automated and the "crew" doesn't really do anything but enjoy the ride. I'd think that would be little frustrating for highly trained astronauts.
Yeah I don't know anything about Elon Musk's personality. I see your point about Cargo , On the other hand what did you expect a steering wheel and a gas pedal  Laughing I have to wonder how much automation was in any of the rockets errr space crafts.
I doubt if you saw the two NAS astronauts paychecks you would feel sorry for them. The more I look at the new space suits the better they look.
 I don't know about any weight belts. Why would they need them?
(05-31-2020, 05:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-31-2020, 03:19 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Yeah I don't know anything about Elon Musk's personality. I see your point about Cargo , On the other hand what did you expect a steering wheel and a gas pedal  Laughing I have to wonder how much automation was in any of the rockets errr space crafts.
I doubt if you saw the two NAS astronauts paychecks you would feel sorry for them. The more I look at the new space suits the better they look.
 I don't know about any weight belts. Why would they need them?

Automated launches, travel and landings are inevitable. Astronauts from the beginning though have fought for manual control because most of them were recruited from test pilot and other well trained pilot groups. You should look for a picture of Mercury/Gemini/Apollo or even space shuttle cockpit. They look like uber-airliners. They would be loath to give up control of their flight. When something goes wrong, and it always does eventually, without manual controls there isn't a damn thing you can do but kiss your ass goodby.

I'm a bit surprised they've made it this far before losing their ability to "fly" their spacecraft. Progress, I guess.

I don't feel sorry for the astronauts for being astronauts, they have an awesome job. I just don't like the stupid suits SpaceX made them wear, just because they could. Another Elon Musk joke no doubt.

[Image: Endeavour_flight_deck.jpg]
(05-31-2020, 12:59 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-30-2020, 10:55 PM)Juniper Wrote: Hurrah for egotistical billionaires!!  And something besides, Covid, Trump, and rioting to talk about.
Do you know much about Elon Musk? Maybe he is egotistical but I would say he was a genius and extremely impressive before saying he is egotistical LOL.
I actually stole that line, from another site, because I thought it was funny.
I watched it live, with the kids. Besides the space suits looking like they belonged in Spaceballs, it was a good launch. Another good show to keep the globe earth ruse going. (Thats a joke by the way, a little flat earth humor to start the week)