Neowise
No view from our house, so I am staying up way past bedtime, driving into the hills to get away from light pollution, this thing better be moderately worth it.
(07-16-2020, 07:27 PM)GPnative Wrote: No view from our house, so I am staying up way past bedtime, driving into the hills to get away from light pollution, this thing better be moderately worth it.
WAY past bedtime LOL from videos I have seen it should be pretty cool.
Ok, i admit, it was worth it. Glad we did it and good memories for the kiddos. I was surprised how visible it still was as we got nearer to town, but once in town, no view. So you really do not need to get very far outside town lights to see it. However, the full effect in good darkness, with all the other stars if you really get away from it all, good for the full effect. First glimpse at about 9:40, and only got better the darker it got from that point.
What direction do you have to be looking?
(07-17-2020, 08:10 AM)Someones Dad Wrote: What direction do you have to be looking?
 The window to spot NEOWISE is closing quickly -- the fleeting comet is expected to remain visible in the northern hemisphere just through July.
Here are some tips on how to best catch a glimpse of it, courtesy of the experts with Sky & Telescope.
  • Before July 14, the best time to see the comet was before the sunrise. But from the 14th onward, you're more likely to see the comet in the evening sky.
  • As it moves away from the sun and edges closer to Earth, the comet will fade away, but your chance of catching it improves if you can find a location that's free of light pollution, meaning street lights, car headlights, apartment lights, and the like.
  • 'Start looking about 1 hour after sunset, when you'll find it just over the northwestern horizon as the last of twilight fades into darkness,' the editors of Sky & Telescope said in a news release. 'Look about three fists below the bottom of the Big Dipper, which is hanging down by its handle high above, and from there perhaps a little to the right.'
  • On July 23, Comet NEOWISE will be at its closest to Earth, but by then, you'll probably need binoculars or a telescope. If you want to take a picture of the comet, use a tripod and a camera that's able to take time exposure shots that are several seconds long, according to Sky & Telescope.
(07-17-2020, 06:59 AM)GPnative Wrote: Ok, i admit, it was worth it. Glad we did it and good memories for the kiddos. I was surprised how visible it still was as we got nearer to town, but once in town, no view. So you really do not need to get very far outside town lights to see it. However, the full effect in good darkness, with all the other stars if you really get away from it all, good for the full effect. First glimpse at about 9:40, and only got better the darker it got from that point.
 How long were you able to view the comet? I was going to go outside and look and I totally spaced it Sad
(07-17-2020, 02:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 06:59 AM)GPnative Wrote: Ok, i admit, it was worth it. Glad we did it and good memories for the kiddos. I was surprised how visible it still was as we got nearer to town, but once in town, no view. So you really do not need to get very far outside town lights to see it. However, the full effect in good darkness, with all the other stars if you really get away from it all, good for the full effect. First glimpse at about 9:40, and only got better the darker it got from that point.
 How long were you able to view the comet? I was going to go outside and look and I totally spaced it Sad

You and me both   Big Grin . I'm wondering if GP needed glass to see it well or if bare eye viewing is worthwhile.
(07-17-2020, 02:25 PM)tv guy Wrote:

It was still very much visible when we left our viewing spot at about 10:40pm, matter of fact when high up elevation, no light, viewing horizon to the west, sunlight was still faint visible and not nearly as many stars in view yet, even at 10:40! We continued to see it as we wound our way down the mountain, we hit city lights about 11:30 and that's when we finally lost sight of it.

To answer Cuzz, it is fully visible by the naked eye, darker it gets the better it gets. However, Binoculars only improve the sight. I dug out all 3 pairs I own and took those along.
TV's post pretty much dialed in the location/direction to look, so just to piggy back on that and confirm, it is pretty much dead on NorthWest, below the big dipper, 2 fists or so above horizon.
(07-17-2020, 04:37 PM)GPnative Wrote: TV's post pretty much dialed in the location/direction to look, so just to piggy back on that and confirm, it is pretty much dead on NorthWest, below the big dipper, 2 fists or so above horizon.
Or three of Trump's fists Laughing
I set an alarm on my phone so I won't forget again tonight. I might try and get some photo's.
(07-17-2020, 05:54 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 04:37 PM)GPnative Wrote: TV's post pretty much dialed in the location/direction to look, so just to piggy back on that and confirm, it is pretty much dead on NorthWest, below the big dipper, 2 fists or so above horizon.
Or three of Trump's fists Laughing

Big Grin
(07-17-2020, 05:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: I set an alarm on my phone so I won't forget again tonight. I might try and get some photo's.

Wish I could have, but I don't have the gear or the know how. The cell phone and the point & shoot I brought were worthless for a good shot.
(07-17-2020, 06:43 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 05:56 PM)tvguy Wrote: I set an alarm on my phone so I won't forget again tonight. I might try and get some photo's.

Wish I could have, but I don't have the gear or the know how. The cell phone and the point & shoot I brought were worthless for a good shot.
I set an alarm on my phone for 10PM so I would not forget. Went out in the yard and I couldn't see anything. So I looked more with the binoculars.
I thought maybe there was too much light pollution but before I gave up I looked a little more and I saw a faint white smear in the sky.
I kind of had to look away then look back and it came in to focus more clearly. So I used the binoculars and BAM there is was. VERY COOOOL!!!
Something that I had never seen in 68 years. Something REAL. Something no one can control or argue about.

Anyway I think tonight I will go out with a tripod and my 300 mm lens and see if I can good pic.
And also take out my spotting scope.
(07-18-2020, 07:04 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-17-2020, 06:43 PM)GPnative Wrote:

I set an alarm on my phone for 10PM so I would not forget. Went out in the yard and I couldn't see anything. So I looked more with the binoculars.
I thought maybe there was too much light pollution but before I gave up I looked a little more and I saw a faint white smear in the sky.
I kind of had to look away then look back and it came in to focus more clearly. So I used the binoculars and BAM there is was. VERY COOOOL!!!
Something that I had never seen in 68 years. Something REAL. Something no one can control or argue about.

Anyway I think tonight I will go out with a tripod and my 300 mm lens and see if I can good pic.
And also take out my spotting scope.

Something very cool about seeing something new to view in the sky. We kind of take the night sky for granted, the moon , north star, constellations, they are just there, year after year, decade after decade, but seeing something new to remind you there is an entire universe out there, yes makes it very real. We are going out again away from city lights on july 22 to view again. They say thats when it will be closest to earth.
I have no comet on the subject.
Photo by manderstudio.com [Image: 3ff83e493a91437c6aafe34b8a813c5e.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
It should be easier to see for me because it's getting out of that glow, light on the horizon that's worse at my house than in this picture.

https://earthsky.org/space/how-to-see-co...f3-neowise
[Image: comet.jpg]