Medford/Ashland fires
How are you folks doing?
I spoke to my Mom in Medford who is worried about the fires. She's in N. E. Medford off of Foothills so she is not in the danger zone, but is worried about evacuations of family there as well. (I love in a Portland suburb). She's recovering from her last chemo treatment and is in the second week after and not in a good place to evacuate unless absolutely necessary which she will.

I have a sister who lives in Central Point near Blackwell hill who is on pins and needles waiting for news and my nephew and his girlfriend live in Ashland. From what I have been told, a Chevron Gas station, and the old Talent Wal-Mart are no longer standing. I am sure more are gone as well, but that is from what she told me from what she saw on the local news there.

Prayers are going to to everyone there.
facebook live linked via kobi5 has live stream including police scanner to help stay informed, it is getting very crazy.
I'm in the clear. This event makes me wonder where in the fuck is any kind emergency management? What does it take for that to be put in place?
(09-09-2020, 12:29 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm in the clear. This event makes me wonder where in the fuck is any kind emergency management? What does it take for that to be put in place?

it certainly shows where we have a lack of management, That's a fact.

Also, wtf was up with all the local TV outlets, Their city is burning and they are playing Modern Family reruns and stupid America's got Talent? Did they not think what was transpiring did not warrant live coverage and updates?? The stupid scanning banners is NOT coverage. But of course queue the 6 months worth of commercials where they will brag about their fire coverage.
(09-09-2020, 03:09 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 12:29 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm in the clear. This event makes me wonder where in the fuck is any kind emergency management? What does it take for that to be put in place?

Also, wtf was up with all the local TV outlets, Their city is burning and they are playing Modern Family reruns and stupid America's got Talent? Did they not think what was transpiring did not warrant live coverage and updates?? The stupid scanning banners is NOT coverage.

I agree. The lack of any information (radio, TV, internet) is astounding.

Also, wtf was up with all the local TV outlets, Their city is burning and they are playing Modern Family reruns and stupid America's got Talent? Did they not think what was transpiring did not warrant live coverage and updates?? The stupid scanning banners is NOT coverage. But of course queue the 6 months worth of commercials where they will brag about their fire coverage.

Yes It's amazing. But IDK if the news stations have the authority to  interrupt reg scheduled TV shows.
(09-09-2020, 03:12 PM)Cuzz Wrote:

Also, wtf was up with all the local TV outlets, Their city is burning and they are playing Modern Family reruns and stupid America's got Talent? Did they not think what was transpiring did not warrant live coverage and updates?? The stupid scanning banners is NOT coverage.

I agree. The lack of any information (radio, TV, internet) is astounding.
I waited until the first news came on yesterday and it was at 4:00 on Channel 12.
They had some reporter at Suncrest orchard on a hill with his camera pointing towards the fires in the distance .
He just keep repeating the same thing over and over. And not ONE word about TWO fires in White city OR the eagle point fire.
Amazing how I knew about temp from facebook and this so called news agency didn't know shit.
BTW the eagle point fire is out of control and Shady cove is being evacuated. Level three.
Pull up the Medford police and fire scanner, easy find with google, thats where you get the best real time info. Local media outlets are day late dollar short on activity.
(09-09-2020, 03:26 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Yes It's amazing. But IDK if the news stations have the authority to  interrupt reg scheduled TV shows.

Even if thats true, they cant go station a stinking reporter outside and do a live stream and direct folks to the appropriate social media carrying the feed? Scrolling banners is the best they got in the year 2020?
All I know is that around 11:00 PM, information sources dried up. The news, the scanner pages, the sheriff and police websites....everyone was going to sleep? But the fire wasn't. I stayed up till 4.00 am with everything that was going to go with us, waiting for information. And many people who were evacuated didn't know how to evacuate. The news was saying the freeway was closed, 99 was bumper to bumper. No suggestions for how to get out of the area were given. it's been a real shit show.
(09-09-2020, 10:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: All I know is that around 11:00 PM, information sources dried up.  The news, the scanner pages, the sheriff and police websites....everyone was going to sleep?  But the fire wasn't.  I stayed up till 4.00 am with everything that was going to go with us, waiting for information. And many people who were evacuated didn't know how to evacuate. The news was saying the freeway was closed, 99 was bumper to bumper. No suggestions for how to get out of the area were given.  it's been a real shit show.

I understand why it's necessary to shut down roads when there is active fire and/or water hoses having to cross roadways, but it sure seems to me like they arbitrarily and prematurely shut down major egress points which cause more trouble than they solve especially in evacuation scenarios.
(09-10-2020, 07:48 AM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-09-2020, 10:37 PM)Juniper Wrote: All I know is that around 11:00 PM, information sources dried up.  The news, the scanner pages, the sheriff and police websites....everyone was going to sleep?  But the fire wasn't.  I stayed up till 4.00 am with everything that was going to go with us, waiting for information. And many people who were evacuated didn't know how to evacuate. The news was saying the freeway was closed, 99 was bumper to bumper. No suggestions for how to get out of the area were given.  it's been a real shit show.

I understand why it's necessary to shut down roads when there is active fire and/or water hoses having to cross roadways, but it sure seems to me like they arbitrarily and prematurely shut down major egress points which cause more trouble than they solve especially in evacuation scenarios.
Also downed power lines are a valid reason to keep people out.
While my brother was at the Salmon fire driving a water truck His Mobil home burned to the ground. As soon as I heard they were evacuating people I tried to call him but didn't get through. I did get in touch with his daughter who said she and her husband were taking care of everything.
They were staying at my brothers place. Well I'm not sure what happened if they panicked or what but all they save were some documents and pictures. No guns no nothing.
And to make matters worse they each had a Harley Davidson and left them there and they were burned too Surprised

Do you mean Hwy 99 and the Freeway? Well, those two roads both had fire on them. That was causing a lot of confusion in the community. A lot of what you can't do and not a lot of what you could do.  People felt and were confused.

There's something else I'm not sure about. Maybe someone knows.   Did firefighters stop the fire from continuing into Medford?  Or did it just peter out, because I never really heard.
(09-10-2020, 08:41 PM)Juniper Wrote:

Do you mean Hwy 99 and the Freeway? Well, those two roads both had fire on them. That was causing a lot of confusion in the community. A lot of what you can't do and not a lot of what you could do.  People felt and were confused.

There's something else I'm not sure about. Maybe someone knows.   Did firefighters stop the fire from continuing into Medford?  Or did it just peter out, because I never really heard.

I get why they shut down the freeway and highway, but then they sure as hell needed to be way more methodical and specific on what surface streets to keep open so that folks could reasonably evacuate. What I heard on the scanner were roads closing and opening left and right, that just creates a bad situation.
(09-11-2020, 02:11 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(09-10-2020, 08:41 PM)Juniper Wrote:

I get why they shut down the freeway and highway, but then they sure as hell needed to be way more methodical and specific on what surface streets to keep open so that folks could reasonably evacuate. What I heard on the scanner were roads closing and opening left and right, that just creates a bad situation.

I agree. There was a definite feeling of fear and people saying they didn't know how or where to go.
I feel like as a test, the Emergency Alert System did very poorly I never got a EAS on the Television and the news was super uninformative. Heck, I got an EAS on the radio earlier this year for a rainstorm but a raging fire heading right towards me?  Nothing.  I hope they look at this and evaluate it.  I hope they ask the public how it worked for them.
NO ONE was in charge.  Someone should have been on TV giving out all the info there was as well as trying to answer questions.
And i don't mean out local news people.
(09-11-2020, 05:02 PM)tvguy Wrote: NO ONE was in charge.  Someone should have been on TV giving out all the info there was as well as trying to answer questions.
And i don't mean out local news people.

And now, the media is having a virtual orgy of reporting. Picking over the bones.  Where WERE they when this was going down?? They were eerily quiet, even into the late evening...nothing new was reported.  Knowing where you (meaning me) was at with the evactuation was a crap shoot.