Climate change
16 degrees tonight brrr. Temps like this are not unusual but due to climate change our weather is definitely changing.
It's bad enough to have so little rainfall with no humidity and extreme heat along with unprecedented wind speeds.

But hopefully we won't have too many winter days with the super lows temps we get most every year.

Anyway for some reason I think we are going to have a lot of snow and rain in April.

We BETTER....Howard prairie and Hyatt lake are only 7% full

Emigrant 7%

Applegate 21%

Lost creek 34%

My well is only 40 feet deep Twitch
[Image: 96dee86f62591da300ac6e737086e2c6.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
(02-21-2022, 05:12 PM)Scrapper Wrote: [Image: 96dee86f62591da300ac6e737086e2c6.jpg]

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Laughing Laughing Laughing
I FINALLY went yesterday and bought a little thing you plug in to an outlet. It will turn a heater on in my utility room when the temp gets below 32 degrees.
My outside utility room has a water heater, fridge and a BRAND NEW dryer and washer.
I'm scared to death something will freeze in my new Expensive washer LOL

Before I would just run a heater out there all night long which is a total waste of electricity.
I'm a real nerd about saving electricity LOL . My average bill is only 119 bucks but I do spend money on pellets for my pellet stove.
$58.00 this month and I will have to buy more in two days
I have all brand new appliances except for 2 fridges so My average should go down somewhat.
(02-21-2022, 06:11 PM)tvguy Wrote: I FINALLY went yesterday and bought a little thing you plug in to an outlet. It will turn a heater on in my utility room when the temp gets below 32 degrees.
My outside utility room has a water heater, fridge and a BRAND NEW dryer and washer.

Before I would just run a heater out there all night long which is a total waste of electricity.
I'm a real nerd about saving electricity LOL . My average bill is only 119 bucks but I do spend money on pellets for my pellet stove.
I have all brand new appliances except for 2 fridges so My average should go down somewhat.

I once owned a house that had water lines run in an uninsulated garage wall (who thought that was a good idea??). In the winter the lines would start freezing up, of course. But just shining a 150 watt light on the inside wall when temperatures dropped would prevent freeze up and I didn't even need to wrap the hose bib that was on the outside of the wall, though I usually did anyway. I never lost power during a cold spell thank the stars.
(02-22-2022, 08:29 AM)Cuzz Wrote:
(02-21-2022, 06:11 PM)tvguy Wrote: I FINALLY went yesterday and bought a little thing you plug in to an outlet. It will turn a heater on in my utility room when the temp gets below 32 degrees.

I once owned a house that had water lines run in an uninsulated garage wall (who thought that was a good idea??). In the winter the lines would start freezing up, of course. But just shining a 150 watt light on the inside wall when temperatures dropped would prevent freeze up and I didn't even need to wrap the hose bib that was on the outside of the wall, though I usually did anyway. I never lost power during a cold spell thank the stars.
I haven't lost power during a cold spell either. I bought a Honda 2000 watt generator last year so if the power went out I could run my pellet stove and keep the hose warm plus prevent the pipes from freezing.
I guess I would have to take turns with the generator heating the house and the outside utility room. Which BTW has never been insulated. And also run power to the heat tape in my pump house.
The problem is my generator won't start Crying I found a video on Youtube showing how to clean the carb and I'm sure that's all it needs.
I don't know. I read something...not sure what in late summer that predicted an early wet winter. Check. Then snow in March. Well, almost check. It's not quite March yet. March is always a player. I HOPE we will get MORE snow, but this may have been it. I think we are heading into a severe drought and it's very worrisome. And I wonder what measures are going to be taken this year if any. Because it seems like maybe there should be some. I'm feeling fairly anxious.

We have an outdoor utility sink, I used to turn the main water valves off for it in the winter, but that's a pain cause we use the sink a lot. So these days I just use one of the cone shaped metal light fixtures with a 75 watt bulb aimed directly at the faucet and so far that has always been adequate to prevent freeze ups. I guess tonight that will get tested to the max but I am rolling with it.
another trick I do which always makes me feel better about keeping things from freezing up is I will put the dishwasher on 6 hr delay when I go to bed, and sometimes I will also fill the washing machine with dirty laundry and put it on delay start, that way during the night water will get moving in the pipes and from the pump house and since we wake up at 5am anyway nothing gets a chance to freeze up. Or so that's the theory that has not failed me yet.
(02-23-2022, 10:00 AM)GPnative Wrote:

We have an outdoor utility sink, I used to turn the main water valves off for it in the winter, but that's a pain cause we use the sink a lot. So these days I just use one of the cone shaped metal light fixtures with a 75 watt bulb aimed directly at the faucet and so far that has always been adequate to prevent freeze ups. I guess tonight that will get tested to the max but I am rolling with it.
When I built my utility room I put the water lines and a drain in on one wall for a sink. Well it turned out that a sink would have stuck out and been in the way because my room is not wide enough.
But I could put an outside sink and it would be handy sometimes. What do use yours for?
(02-23-2022, 10:02 AM)GPnative Wrote: another trick I do which always makes me feel better about keeping things from freezing up is I will put the dishwasher on 6 hr delay when I go to bed, and sometimes I will also fill the washing machine with dirty laundry and put it on delay start, that way during the night water will get moving in the pipes and from the pump house and since we wake up at 5am anyway nothing gets a chance to freeze up. Or so that's the theory that has not failed me yet.
Good ideas. Where do you think pipes would freeze if you didn't do that?
(02-23-2022, 01:25 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 10:02 AM)GPnative Wrote: another trick I do which always makes me feel better about keeping things from freezing up is I will put the dishwasher on 6 hr delay when I go to bed, and sometimes I will also fill the washing machine with dirty laundry and put it on delay start, that way during the night water will get moving in the pipes and from the pump house and since we wake up at 5am anyway nothing gets a chance to freeze up. Or so that's the theory that has not failed me yet.
Good ideas. Where do you think pipes would freeze if you didn't do that?

I don't have any reason to believe they would, I just like the idea of getting the water moving at night either way just to hedge my bets.

edit to add: My pressure tank is in the garage, the well head outside is well covered (pardon the pun) and I have never had a freeze up at the well head even though I do not put a light in the pump house (which is really the size if a dog house). If I did put a light in the pump house I probably would not worry about the delay start on appliances, but with no light in there I just like the insurance of running some water at night. And it's chores that need to be done anyway not like I am running them on empty.
(02-22-2022, 11:17 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know. I read something...not sure what in late summer that predicted an early wet winter.  Check.  Then snow in March.  Well, almost check. It's not quite March yet. March is always a player. I HOPE we will get MORE snow, but this may have been it.  I think we are heading into a severe drought and it's very worrisome.  And I wonder what measures are going to be taken this year if any. Because it seems like maybe there should be some.  I'm feeling fairly anxious.

in late summer that predicted an early wet winter.  Check

Huh?? We haven't had an early wet winter?  And as far as what measures should be taken what do you mean?
I don't think we are going to have a problem as far as drinking water. They pull it from the Rogue when they supply from Big Butte springs starts getting low. And the Rogue isn't going to go dry.

It's funny how many people on FB are going ape shit complaining that because of hemp and pot there's no water or land left to grow food.
There are tens of thousands of acres of farm land that is not even being used. And why weren't these same people crying foul when so many grapes vineyards replaced out pear orchards.
And yeah pears are food but they are even close to being a main staple in my diet or most people.

I think at most the Medford water commission could order people to stop watering their lawns but last year was a severe drought and that didn't happen. Lost creek is 35% full which isn't great but it's a LOT better than Howard Prairie 7%, Hyatt 7% or Emigrant at 8%
(02-23-2022, 01:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:

When I built my utility room I put the water lines and a drain in on one wall for a sink. Well it turned out that a sink would have stuck out and been in the way because my room is not wide enough.
But I could put an outside sink and it would be handy sometimes. What do use yours for?

Cleaning chicken eggs, filling dog water, chicken water, washing hands after chores or working on cars, in the summer washing garden veggies, filling mop buckets, (more room than kitchen sink) It is in a convenient spot between garage and back door under a covered patio so it is in a spot that makes it easy to use, can wash hands before coming in the house after grimy chores.

another edit: Then I can leave all my other outdoor spigots covered and winterized and just leave the sink available for winter outdoor water needs.
(02-23-2022, 01:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-22-2022, 11:17 PM)Juniper Wrote: I don't know. I read something...not sure what in late summer that predicted an early wet winter.  Check.  Then snow in March.  Well, almost check. It's not quite March yet. March is always a player. I HOPE we will get MORE snow, but this may have been it.  I think we are heading into a severe drought and it's very worrisome.  And I wonder what measures are going to be taken this year if any. Because it seems like maybe there should be some.  I'm feeling fairly anxious.

Huh?? We haven't had an early wet winter?  And as far as what measures should be taken what do you mean?
I don't think we are going to have a problem as far as drinking water. They pull it from the Rogue when they supply from Big Butte springs starts getting low. And the Rogue isn't going to go dry.

It's funny how many people on FB are going ape shit complaining that because of hemp and pot there's no water or land left to grow food.
There are tens of thousands of acres of farm land that is not even being used. And why weren't these same people crying foul when so many grapes vineyards replaced out pear orchards.
And yeah pears are food but they are even close to being a main staple in my diet or most people.

I think at most the Medford water commission could order people to stop watering their lawns but last year was a severe drought and that didn't happen. Lost creek is 35% full which isn't great but it's a LOT better than Howard Prairie 7%, Hyatt 7% or Emigrant at 8%

We did have a wet early winter.  I think anyway.

Measures?  I don't know. I'm not a water expert.  Seems like there could be things put in place to preserve resources.  I never said a word about drinking water.  Did I? Unsure
(02-23-2022, 01:43 PM)GPnative Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 01:23 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Cleaning chicken eggs, filling dog water, chicken water, washing hands after chores or working on cars, in the summer washing garden veggies, filling mop buckets, (more room than kitchen sink) It is in a convenient spot between garage and back door under a covered patio so it is in a spot that makes it easy to use, can wash hands before coming in the house after grimy chores.

another edit: Then I can leave all my other outdoor spigots covered and winterized and just leave the sink available for winter outdoor water needs.
Nice. I should do that.
(02-23-2022, 09:27 PM)Juniper Wrote:
(02-23-2022, 01:42 PM)tvguy Wrote:

We did have a wet early winter.  I think anyway.

Measures?  I don't know. I'm not a water expert.  Seems like there could be things put in place to preserve resources.  I never said a word about drinking water.  Did I? Unsure
 if you mean we a wet early winter compared to later winter then ok but still below average

And as far as things put in to place to preserve water I guess I don't know what you mean? We already have reservoirs to preserve water but there has not been water flowing in to them.

I never said a word about drinking water.  Did I?
No but you also didn't say you were talking about irrigation water only. Laughing

Basically I think this coming year Sad we will be screwed

[Image: rain.png]
Well, I said wet early winter, which seems to have been the case indeed. I wouldn't expect that to end any drought though.  As for preserving water....I would think, that with peoples wells running dry, perhaps measures that regulate agricultural use might be a consideration? I lived in Southern California in the seventies when drought measures for civilians were in place.  Like lawn watering, etc. etc. A lot of public education stuff about conserving and it was certainly heard if not practiced universally.
(02-24-2022, 09:25 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, I said wet early winter, which seems to have been the case indeed. I wouldn't expect that to end any drought though.  As for preserving water....I would think, that with peoples wells running dry, perhaps measures that regulate agricultural use might be a consideration? I lived in Southern California in the seventies when drought measures for civilians were in place.  Like lawn watering, etc. etc. A lot of public education stuff about conserving and it was certainly heard if not practiced universally.
 Sure if farming is running people wells dry it needs to be regulated. I read about this happening but I don't know where.

As far as drought measures for civilians were in place that would be the Medford water commission and I really don't think there will be a shortage from them. At least I hope not because that would mean the Rogue river was low. Crying
(02-25-2022, 02:03 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(02-24-2022, 09:25 PM)Juniper Wrote: Well, I said wet early winter, which seems to have been the case indeed. I wouldn't expect that to end any drought though.  As for preserving water....I would think, that with peoples wells running dry, perhaps measures that regulate agricultural use might be a consideration? I lived in Southern California in the seventies when drought measures for civilians were in place.  Like lawn watering, etc. etc. A lot of public education stuff about conserving and it was certainly heard if not practiced universally.
 Sure if farming is running people wells dry it needs to be regulated. I read about this happening but I don't know where.

As far as drought measures for civilians were in place that would be the Medford water commission and I really don't think there will be a shortage from them. At least I hope not because that would mean the Rogue river was low. Crying
I've been hearing stories of wells in Talent running dry.