Tarzan co-star Cheetah dies
I had no idea he was still living. In fact I don't see how he could have lived this long! Oh well, here is the story. Laughing

Quote:Cheetah the chimpanzee, who acted in classic Tarzan movies in the early 1930s, died of kidney failure Saturday at Suncoast Primate Sanctuary in Palm Harbor, a sanctuary spokeswoman said.

Cheetah was roughly 80 years old, loved fingerpainting and football and was soothed by nondenominational Christian music, said Debbie Cobb, the sanctuary's outreach director.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/breaking-news/2...ar-341123/
Guess they get pretty old!
I knew they got pretty old just like elephants and turtlesBig Grin, like 60 or so and usually animals live longer in captivity. But wow 80?
I knew they got pretty old just like elephants and turtlesBig Grin, like 60 or so and usually animals live longer in captivity. But wow 80?

UMGOWA!!!
Why did they name the monkey after a cheese puff snack?
(12-28-2011, 01:48 PM)chuck white Wrote: Why did they name the monkey after a cheese puff snack?

The same reason they named you after a race?
The chuck wagon races,
Hot stuff

[Image: chuck-wagon-race-calgary_9346.jpg]
I thought TV meant this:

Others are questioning if this can be true..... Sorry, no link as it comes via email.

Quote:A Florida animal sanctuary says Cheetah, the chimpanzee sidekick in the Tarzan movies of the early 1930s, has died at 80. But other accounts call that claim into question.

Debbie Cobb, outreach director at the Suncoast Primate Sanctuary in Palm Harbor, said Wednesday that her grandparents acquired Cheetah around 1960 from "Tarzan" star Johnny Weissmuller and that the chimp appeared in Tarzan films between 1932 and 1934. During that period, Weissmuller made "Tarzan the Ape Man" and "Tarzan and His Mate."

But Cobb offered no documentation, saying it was destroyed in a 1995 fire.

Also, some Hollywood accounts indicate a chimpanzee by the name of Jiggs or Mr. Jiggs played Cheetah alongside Weissmuller early on and died in 1938.

In addition, an 80-year-old chimpanzee would be extraordinarily old, perhaps the oldest ever known. According to many experts and Save the Chimps, another Florida sanctuary, chimpanzees in captivity generally live to between 40 and 60, though Lion Country Safari in Loxahatchee, Fla., says it has one that is around 73.

A similar claim about another chimpanzee that supposedly played second banana to Weissmuller was debunked in 2008 in a Washington Post story.

Writer R.D. Rosen discovered that the primate, which lived in Palm Springs, Calif., was born around 1960, meaning it wasn't oldest enough to have been in the Tarzan movies of Hollywood's Golden Age that starred Olympic swimming star Weissmuller as the vine-swinging, loincloth-wearing Ape Man and Maureen O'Sullivan as Jane.

While a number of chimpanzees played the sidekick role in the Tarzan movies of the 1930s and `40s, Rosen said in an email Wednesday that this latest purported Cheetah looks like a "business-boosting impostor as well."

"I'm afraid any chimp who actually shared a soundstage with Weissmuller and O'Sullivan is long gone," Rosen said.

Cobb said Cheetah died Dec. 24 of kidney failure and was cremated.

"Unfortunately, there was a fire in `95 in which a lot of that documentation burned up," Cobb said. "I'm 51 and I've known him for 51 years. My first remembrance of him coming here was when I was actually 5, and I've known him since then, and he was a full-grown chimp then."

IMO it's either a hoax or people were just given the wrong information about this chimps past.

http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/201...etah-hoax/
They sure made a monkey of us.
[Image: Creator_Roseburg1SM_1.jpg]
(12-29-2011, 02:50 PM)chuck white Wrote: They sure made a monkey of us.

LaughingLaughing

I also read that the information was wrong. I wonder if this means TCM will be showing some old Tarzan movies?