Advice for a young man trying to "come out"
My nephew is gay. Most of my generation has long suspected it... going back to when he was in grade school, (he is now about 24). In any event, he has just recently "come out" to my daughter and swore her to secrecy. Of course she told me. But only because she knew I wouldn't judge him and she hoped that he might eventually come to me for advice on how to let some "others" in on it. Those "others" being my folks and his folks, (including my sister, who I despise). He is very close to my mom, (his grandma... she practically raised him). My mom is uber-conservative... she genuflects at the altar of Rush Limbaugh. However, she is not homophobic and I doubt that she'll judge her grandson. But he is still mortified to bring it up with her. 

I feel bad for the kid and his conflict. He should just tell everyone what's going on and not concern himself with how they feel about it. I guess that's easier said than done. That said, I also believe that discretion is the better part of valor. I think he should let those closest to him know about his sexuality and then leave it at that. I would think it best that he not show up with his boyfriend at Thanksgiving... at least for now. Is it so wrong of me to suggest that he give those that have trouble with this some time to soak it in?

There is a lot more to this... part of me wants to warn my mom so that her knee-jerk reaction doesn't hurt this kid. She needs to know that she has to be okay with it. I think she will be but I'm not 100% sure.

Kinda rambling here.... at this point he doesn't even know that I know. But I've "known" for years... maybe even before he did.

Messages In This Thread
Advice for a young man trying to "come out" - by GCG - 07-15-2019, 06:16 PM