Strange News Stories (Post Here)
Compressed air turns NZ trucker into human balloon

Quote:WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- A New Zealand truck driver said he blew up like a balloon when he fell onto the fitting of a compressed air hose that pierced his buttock and forced air into his body at 100 pounds a square inch.
Steven McCormack was standing on his truck's foot plate Saturday when he slipped and fell, breaking a compressed air hose off an air reservoir that powered the truck's brakes.
He fell hard onto the brass fitting, which pierced his left buttock and started pumping air into his body.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/photo...TE=DEFAULT
That is a definately a one of a kind injury (and I'm sure the scars will come out at bars and family bbq's for the next 50 years).
I saw this story and decided it wouldn't be of enough forum news interest to bother with. It will be interesting to see how this goes. Smiling
(05-25-2011, 06:58 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I saw this story and decided it wouldn't be of enough forum news interest to bother with. It will be interesting to see how this goes. Smiling
The idea is to post a stranger story..... Wink Got one?
I just didn't want to balloon this one out of proportion, know what I mean? The part that got me was how the story I read said something to the effect he continues to deflate "in the normal manner the body does" or some such, and how do you explain that in good taste? I wasn't going to bring it up, of course, but you forced me.

p.s. I know this is a bit of a stretch. Smiling
I don't know about forcing air into the body, but I have forced it out.
(05-25-2011, 07:09 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I just didn't want to balloon this one out of proportion, know what I mean? The part that got me was how the story I read said something to the effect he continues to deflate "in the normal manner the body does" or some such, and how do you explain that in good taste? I wasn't going to bring it up, of course, but you forced me.

p.s. I know this is a bit of a stretch. Smiling
Decompressing?

OK, here's one:

Charlie the smoking chimpanzee dies aged 52

Charlie, a Chimpanzee in a South African zoo who became addicted to cigarettes, has died at the age of 52, exceeding the average lifespan of a captive chimpanzee by twelve years. After a video of Charlie puffing on cigarettes discarded by visitors appeared on the Internet, the animal and the zoo gained international attention and some visitors threw him additional cigarettes.

According to his keepers, Charlie was "an occasional smoker" and even tried to hide his habit from his keepers, who were trying to get him to quit by giving him medical care and a special diet. A recent study found that only seven percent of chimpanzees in captivity live beyond forty years of age. It is estimated that 500,000 people die due to smoking-related diseases every year in the United States alone.

It is believed that Charlie learned to smoke during his time in a US circus before being transferred to the zoo. Zookeepers say that the animal died of old age but an autopsy has yet to confirm this. The zoo suggested that Charlie's body could be stuffed and put on display.

Information from: Wikinews, http://www.wikinews.org
Pope shuts down famous monastery that liked to party

ROME (AFP) – Pope Benedict XVI has shut down a famous community in Rome that organised dances by a former nightclub dancer nun and hosted VIPs like Madonna, earning the disfavour of the Vatican.

The closure of the monastery of Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, which holds some of the Church's most prized relics, was reported by Italian dailies La Stampa and Il Foglio.

The reports said the community of Cistercian monks based at the church for more than five centuries was being transferred to other churches in Italy.

Contacted by AFP, the Vatican did not deny the reports.

The basilica had become a hub for the "Friends of Santa Croce", an aristocratic group, and had been criticised for some unorthodox practices including dances in which nuns pranced around the altar.

One of the nuns who performed at the church, a former disco dancer, can be seen in a YouTube video performing a modern dance with a crucifix.

The basilica's longtime abbot, Simone Fioraso, a flamboyant former Milan fashion designer, was already moved out of the basilica two years ago.

The ban was adopted in March by the Congregation for Institutes of Consecrated Life following an inquiry but has not yet been made public, the reports said.

Pope Benedict, the leader of the world's 1.1 billion Catholics, is also the bishop of Rome, so the basilica is part of his diocese.

Santa Croce in Gerusalemme, built around a chapel dating to the fourth century, is one of Rome's oldest and most prestigious churches.
I mean, there's a lot of weird stuff that happens in the news.

Man falls in river chasing one-legged goose

Wisconsin authorities have rescued and arrested a drunken man who plunged into the Wisconsin River while chasing a one-legged goose.

The 40-year-old Wausau man told officers he wanted to catch the bird and roast it. He says he took off his shirt and shoes last Thursday afternoon and jumped into the frigid water.

Authorities say he was overcome by the cold water and had to be rescued by firefighters. Police say the man had been drinking heavily before the stunt.

The man was arrested on an outstanding warrant for bail jumping.

Witness Sergio Lopez works by the river. He says he often sees people jump in the water during hot summer days but rarely in October.

Police tell the Wausau Daily Herald that as far as they know, the goose is still on the loose.

http://www.wassaudailygerald.com
How does it get any loonier than someone predicting the end of the world, puts billboards everywhere about it, then when people give away all their possessions and now he tells them "get over it, bad things happen to people all the time" or some such. That was in the mainstream news just the other day, and there's nothing weirder you can hardly imagine, unless it's zombies or something.
(05-25-2011, 07:38 AM)PonderThis Wrote: How does it get any loonier than someone predicting the end of the world, puts billboards everywhere about it, then when people give away all their possessions and now he tells them "get over it, bad things happen to people all the time" or some such. That was in the mainstream news just the other day, and there's nothing weirder you can hardly imagine, unless it's zombies or something.

Preacher says world will actually end in October Surprised Laughing

Quote:OAKLAND, Calif. (AP) -- A California preacher who foretold of the world's end only to see the appointed day pass with no extraordinarily cataclysmic event has revised his apocalyptic prophecy, saying he was off by five months and the Earth actually will be obliterated on Oct. 21.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...TE=DEFAULT
Quote:Kyle Pearce of Florida was flying from Spokane to Denver on May 19, when he shocked fellow passengers by masturbating in his coach-class United Airlines seat, according to an FBI affidavit filed in Denver on May 20, The Smoking Gun reports.

He was, not surprisingly, arrested when United flight 340 touched down in Denver. Pearce was charged with "obscene and indecent exposure of his person by exhibiting his penis and masturbating in plain view."

Tucked into seat 18D, Pearce allegedly started masturbating before he was caught in the act by his fellow passengers, according to paperwork filed by Special Agent Martin Daniell, III, an 11-year FBI veteran.

A passenger seated in 19D right behind Pearce told police "I hit him with my book in the arm, which caused him to stop and leave to the bathroom."

A woman unlucky enough to be seated next to Pearce in 18E told cops he was masturbating and that he, "ejaculated and got some on the seat."

After he ducked into the lavatory, passengers wondered aloud if Pearce was "stoned on marijuana," say court papers posted to The Smoking Gun.

For his in-flight masturbatory shenanigans, Pearce faces a maximum sentence of 90 days in jail with a year of supervised release and a fine of up to $5,000.

http://news.travel.aol.com/2011/05/24/ky...e_facebook
John Prine, an 'ol country boy with the mind of a poet.

I HATE IT WHEN THAT HAPPENS TO ME

Well I once knew a man who was going insane
He let love chase him right up a tree
It took the police and a fire truck
Just to bring him back down
Oh, I hate it when that happens to me

It made the front page of the paper
The gossip tongues wagged
Why they even showed it all on TV
Now if he should live forever
He won't live it down

Dogs bites Man
Man loses girl
Oh what did he ever do
Wrong in this world?

There once was a big buzz all over town
About a movie where the killer goes free
Now, he's got every one's sympathy
Yes, I hate it when that happens to me

'Grandma Bandit' suspect killed in shootout actually a man
Quote:Atlanta (CNN) -- A robbery suspect nicknamed the "Grandma Bandit" died in a shootout Friday in Atlanta, Georgia, authorities said.
Later, authorities discovered that Grandma was actually Grandpa.
"After further investigation, detectives have determined the person believed to be a female suspect in fact is a male," DeKalb County police spokeswoman Mekka Parish said Friday evening.
"His name is Roxanne Taylor, a 57-year-old man."
More here: http://www.cnn.com/2011/CRIME/05/27/geor...A+Crime%29
Man who gave trooper the finger has charge dropped
Quote:DENVER (AP) -- A harassment charge has been dropped in the case of a 35-year-old Colorado man who faced prosecution for displaying his middle finger to a Colorado State Patrol trooper.
The State Patrol said in a statement late Friday that it asked that the case be dropped.
The American Civil Liberties Union had argued that while the gesture may be have been rude, it amounted to protected free speech.
According to the ACLU, Shane Boor was driving to work in April when he saw a trooper pull over a car. As Boor passed by, he extended his middle finger in the trooper's direction.
Boor was later stopped and received a criminal summons ordering him to appear in court to answer a criminal charge of harassment, which carries a possible six-month jail term.

(05-25-2011, 06:48 AM)Valuesize Wrote: Compressed air turns NZ trucker into human balloon

Quote:WELLINGTON, New Zealand (AP) -- A New Zealand truck driver said he blew up like a balloon when he fell onto the fitting of a compressed air hose that pierced his buttock and forced air into his body at 100 pounds a square inch.
Steven McCormack was standing on his truck's foot plate Saturday when he slipped and fell, breaking a compressed air hose off an air reservoir that powered the truck's brakes.
He fell hard onto the brass fitting, which pierced his left buttock and started pumping air into his body.

http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/files/photo...TE=DEFAULT

I'm having a little trouble buying into the 100 psi aspect of this. There is no way the human body can withstand that. Maybe that is what the compressor is capable of???
We had a lieutenant in the ER at Balboa. He had slipped and landed square on a long neck beer bottle. They had to drill a hole in the bottle, to get it out of his ass. Poor guy. Ever hear of such bad luck?
(05-30-2011, 07:03 AM)illcommandante Wrote: We had a lieutenant in the ER at Balboa. He had slipped and landed square on a long neck beer bottle. They had to drill a hole in the bottle, to get it out of his ass. Poor guy. Ever hear of such bad luck?
Nope. Big Grin
Quote:NY-born twin friars die on same day at age 92
Identical twins Julian and Adrian Riester were born seconds apart 92 years ago. They died hours apart this week. The Buffalo-born brothers were also brothers in the Roman Catholic Order of Friars Minor. Professed friars for 65 years, they spent much of that time working together at St. Bonaventure University, doing carpentry work, gardening and driving visitors to and from the airport and around town.
"It was fun to see them, just quiet, gentle souls," Yvonne Peace, who worked at the St. Bonaventure Friary for nearly 21 years, said Friday.
They died Wednesday at St. Anthony Hospital in St. Petersburg, Fla., Brother Julian in the morning and Brother Adrian in the evening.
Both died of heart failure, said Father James Toal, guardian of St. Anthony Friary in St. Petersburg, where the inseparable twins lived since moving from western New York in 2008.
http://hosted.ap.org/dynamic/stories/U/U...TE=DEFAULT