11 mo old killed by family dog
This is so sad. Crying

http://www.oregonlive.com/news/index.ssf...em_en.html

Quote:Betty and Robert Naglee, who own a home on Liars Lair Road, invited their son and daughter-in-law, along with their daughter-in-law's family, to spend the weekend. Their son, James Naglee and his wife, Michelle, who live in Oregon City, brought their 11-month-old son, Michael.

The first grandchild in the Naglee family, Michael was adored by his grandparents.

"He's a darling, darling little boy," said Leone Coleman, Betty Naglee's sister, who lives in Garibaldi.

James and Michelle also brought along their 5-year-old, 135-pound American bulldog Duncan that was rescued from a shelter four years ago.

On Sunday afternoon, James and Michelle Naglee were off somewhere, leaving the two sets of grandparents and an uncle in the home. Louisa Farmer, Michael's maternal grandmother, was sitting on a couch in the living room, holding the boy, who started squirming. He wanted down, so she put him on the floor.

The boy ran across the room to Duncan, who was resting about seven feet away, according to Michael Farmer, the boy's maternal grandfather. The dog knocked the boy down and then attacked, Farmer said.

The grandfathers and an uncle tried to pull the dog off, someone called 9-1-1 and sheriff's deputies, firefighters and ambulances converged on the dead-end street. Medics whisked the boy to Tillamook County General Hospital but it was too late.

He was pronounced dead, just three days before his first birthday on Wednesday.
Negligence plain and simple , these folks , all of them out to lunch big time. - JC 616
(07-09-2011, 04:50 PM)Jesus Christ Wrote: Negligence plain and simple , these folks , all of them out to lunch big time. - JC 616

How the Hell do you figure negligence? It was the family pet for 4 years. Plus:

Quote:Jacqui Neilson, a veterinarian and animal behaviorist, said fatal attacks like this are rare, with only about 10 reported each year in the United States.

It doesn't sound like the family did anything wrong. The attack was unprovoked.

Negligence Schmegligence! Dry
I just don't buy into it . Even if the dog was raised from a pup , I wouldn't take the chance. Pretty much like buckling up . Adopting only compounds the issue because there are things you just don't know about the dog. I realize that is a conservative mindset but it is the way I operate . JC 616.
(07-09-2011, 05:14 PM)Jesus Christ Wrote: I just don't buy into it . Even if the dog was raised from a pup , I wouldn't take the chance. Pretty much like buckling up . Adopting only compounds the issue because there are things you just don't know about the dog. I realize that is a conservative mindset but it is the way I operate . JC 616.

That does not explain negligence on the part of any one. They did nothing wrong. People own dogs. A lot of people own dogs. That doesn't make them negligent. Besides..... how many kids have you raised? What do you know about raising kids and dogs in the same household?
Something went wrong , that is for sure. Mom bred her Samoyed many times . Mom also grew up on a farm during the depression so...........
(07-09-2011, 05:32 PM)Jesus Christ Wrote: Something went wrong , that is for sure. Mom bred her Samoyed many times . Mom also grew up on a farm during the depression so...........

So? So.... you have NO PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and NO FOUNDATION for calling the family negligent.
Huh , I was there when the dogs were bred and I listened to what Mom taught . My parents were in the habit of passing along wisdom and Mom still is. I discuss issues like this with her as well. I am no stranger to Dog people Vets , Dog walkers , Dog groomers , Dog and Cat advocates. Just like anything else some would say because the dog was adopted to take extra precaution. Very young children for some reason seem to evoke things in animals that older children might not. The family is clearly not Legally negligent , but some powers of perception were not happening here. This is a heavy karmic event , there are no two ways about it. - JC 616
(07-09-2011, 05:45 PM)Jesus Christ Wrote: Huh , I was there when the dogs were bred and I listened to what Mom taught . My parents were in the habit of passing along wisdom and Mom still is. I discuss issues like this with her as well. I am no stranger to Dog people Vets , Dog walkers , Dog groomers , Dog and Cat advocates. Just like anything else some would say because the dog was adopted to take extra precaution. Very young children for some reason seem to evoke things in animals that older children might not. The family is clearly not Legally negligent , but some powers of perception were not happening here. This is a heavy karmic event , there are no two ways about it. - JC 616

I say you have no idea what you're talking about. Karmic event?!?! Pffftt! Please.
We have to look at large dogs and decide..."No". A dog is all wolf parts. It might be fine for wolves to kill us in the wild. It's not, when it's in our homes. What excuse is there for a large dog, but a job that shouldn't be entrusted to any dog?
(07-09-2011, 05:20 PM)Scrapper Wrote:
(07-09-2011, 05:14 PM)Jesus Christ Wrote: I just don't buy into it . Even if the dog was raised from a pup , I wouldn't take the chance. Pretty much like buckling up . Adopting only compounds the issue because there are things you just don't know about the dog. I realize that is a conservative mindset but it is the way I operate . JC 616.

That does not explain negligence on the part of any one. They did nothing wrong. People own dogs. A lot of people own dogs. That doesn't make them negligent. Besides..... how many kids have you raised? What do you know about raising kids and dogs in the same household?

Yeah they did too do something wrong IMO. They trusted some rescue dog from a shelter that spent 80% of it's life somewhere else with their child.

I doubt that these people firmly established who the alpha male of the pack and the dog may have taken that role upon itself.
I find it hard to imagine that this dog could have killed that child and that NO ONE had ever witnessed the dog being overly protective, violent or aggressive.

My guess is that the signs were there and these people just couldn't see them or wouldn't admit there was a problem with the dog.

Pssst....... Is Tv is agreeing with JC? Unsure
(07-09-2011, 08:24 PM)Valuesize Wrote: Pssst....... Is Tv is agreeing with JC? Unsure

Oh yea, that's why we have this place.
To keep score.
Crying

Wonk , perhaps if you and others provided content and got down to doing here what this forum is here for the air wouldn't be stagnant. What do you think about this tragedy eh ? Let's move on down the road. Big Grin JC- 616

Value , was that really necessary ?
Quote:On Sunday afternoon, James and Michelle Naglee were off somewhere, leaving the two sets of grandparents and an uncle in the home. Louisa Farmer, Michael's maternal grandmother, was sitting on a couch in the living room, holding the boy, who started squirming. He wanted down, so she put him on the floor.

The boy ran across the room to Duncan, who was resting about seven feet away, according to Michael Farmer, the boy's maternal grandfather. The dog knocked the boy down and then attacked, Farmer said.

What a horrible, tragic event.
A fatal combination of two leggeds not showing very good sense letting a squirming child RUN up to a sleeping dog...and a four-legged not being as socialized as they had hoped. Crying
(07-09-2011, 08:36 PM)Jesus Christ Wrote: Value , was that really necessary ?

Well it seems some of you read this as a jab or a derogatory comment, its not. Its my way of appreciating an uncommon event. Smiling
Losing a child is bad enough , but the scenario must be running over and over in their heads. I hope they can find closure in due time , part of that closure , if it were me , would be to make other people aware of the risks involving adopted dogs especially . What TV said about not believing the dog had never acted out before resonates with me. Considering the nature of the Court systems and Media today , if the owners could withhold information knowing nobody would be able to call them on it they just might. The alternative could simply finish off the family for good. - JC 616
(07-09-2011, 09:48 PM)Jesus Christ Wrote: Losing a child is bad enough , but the scenario must be running over and over in their heads. I hope they can find closure in due time , part of that closure , if it were me , would be to make other people aware of the risks involving adopted dogs especially . What TV said about not believing the dog had never acted out before resonates with me. Considering the nature of the Court systems and Media today , if the owners could withhold information knowing nobody would be able to call them on it they just might. The alternative could simply finish off the family for good. - JC 616

WTF, dude? Are you psycho? WTH happened to:

Quote:Negligence plain and simple

Quote:I just don't buy into it .

Quote:This is a heavy karmic event , there are no two ways about it.
Please , harness your virtual tongue , and I will reply. It was negligence plain and simple , what has that to do with them feeling bad ? In fact there may be suicidal thoughts going down , who knows ? Yes it is very heavy karma and if it was me I would take time off and really let things work out , in other words I would take it to the river for seven dips. I don't buy into the simple story I am more along the lines of TV and my own collective wisdom sources.

I wouldn't walk up to them and give them hell if that is what you are implying you think I was saying in my intital post nothing I said secondly contradicts previous statements. This is a forum , not their living room . Shalom JC 616
My opinion on this tragic event is that the boys parents should have seen the warning signs from the dog. The dog was in charge and his masters neglected the signs,from the big sweet puppy.

To many people simply forget that they are animals. When people loose the respect for the power of an animal tragic things happen..