Christmas Shopping?
Is it too early to start? Probably but there are some pretty decent deals out there, much of it on stuff left over from last year. I'll start hoarding now and by the time the prices get jacked up after Thanksgiving on certain items, it will be all done.

F'rinstance, I found a beautiful matching set of hat, mittens and scarf in a great color for about $19 altogether. Original price was over $100. My daughter will love them. I done good. Cool

Found some Gore-tex hiking shoes for my grandson for $30, down from $60 and got the last pair in his size. Ditto a down vest - last one in any size for 60% off. Free shipping, too.

So, keep your eyes open and make some hiding space in your house for presents. Also, starting early means spreading out the pain a bit. $20 that you spend in September is $20 you're not spending in December.

Anybody else start to think about Christmas presents?
OH NO! Not yet. What about Halloween and Turkey Day? Now that you opened the subject, are there really good deals at this time of year? I am not a good shopper.
Although I admire those who can get their Christmas shopping done early, I can't do it. Half the fun of Christmas for me is the shopping (weird from someone who hates to shop...I know). And I don't like to start before I am in the Christmas spirit which is usually the last few weeks of December but never before. I also never go the day after Thanksgiving. I will never understand why some find it so fun.
I have started mine. Found a cool Darth V clock for my son, as well as some stocking stuffer s,
If you start shopping now, you have more time for fun stuff like the Christmas caroling, decorating and baking cookies, etc. Whatever traditions you observe at this time of year can be enjoyed more with less pressure to go shopping. It doesn't mean not shopping at all in December. It just means that some places want to get rid of stuff to make room for the Christmas merchandise and there are some bargains out there.

Of course, shopping can be fun no matter what time of year.... Smiling
Just doing the Happy Birthday Jesus cake this year...that's enough for my kiddos to be joyful!
(09-23-2011, 12:28 PM)TennisMom Wrote: If you start shopping now, you have more time for fun stuff like the Christmas caroling, decorating and baking cookies, etc. Whatever traditions you observe at this time of year can be enjoyed more with less pressure to go shopping. It doesn't mean not shopping at all in December. It just means that some places want to get rid of stuff to make room for the Christmas merchandise and there are some bargains out there.

Of course, shopping can be fun no matter what time of year.... Smiling

Shopping is NEVER fun except for Christmas! Don't carol, don't bake anymore, decorating takes 1/2 day. Time is freed up! Embarrassed
Oh happy day! For Power Sellers. The crap I'm going to be shipping to people who have no use whatsoever for it. Does it get any better than this? Ebay is like robbing people without a gun.
I had a blast in Cost Plus World Market in Eugene the other day.
There are some great, different, beautiful things that don't cost a lot.
Give yourself time to just walk around looking at 'stuff'.
You'll never know what you may find! Smiling
(09-23-2011, 12:31 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Just doing the Happy Birthday Jesus cake this year...that's enough for my kiddos to be joyful!
I will give you my address so you can send me a piece !Cool

(09-22-2011, 12:02 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Is it too early to start? Probably but there are some pretty decent deals out there, much of it on stuff left over from last year. I'll start hoarding now and by the time the prices get jacked up after Thanksgiving on certain items, it will be all done.

F'rinstance, I found a beautiful matching set of hat, mittens and scarf in a great color for about $19 altogether. Original price was over $100. My daughter will love them. I done good. Cool

Found some Gore-tex hiking shoes for my grandson for $30, down from $60 and got the last pair in his size. Ditto a down vest - last one in any size for 60% off. Free shipping, too.

So, keep your eyes open and make some hiding space in your house for presents. Also, starting early means spreading out the pain a bit. $20 that you spend in September is $20 you're not spending in December.

Christmas? Must we?Rolling EyesBig Grin
(09-22-2011, 12:02 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Is it too early to start? Probably but there are some pretty decent deals out there, much of it on stuff left over from last year. I'll start hoarding now and by the time the prices get jacked up after Thanksgiving on certain items, it will be all done.

Wish I were on your gift list...you do well, TM!
Scarves, hats, mittens, boots and down vest?
Nice, usable, warm stuff. Smiling
I always get my sons a pair of sweats, too.
Not very glamourous, but always appreciated.

(09-23-2011, 07:15 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Christmas? Must we?Rolling EyesBig Grin
Have a hamasandwhich day . Happy Equinox cutie pie !
As kids, we always got new pajamas for Christmas, which was really fun on Christmas night. We were so hyped up but once in our new pj's, automatically calmed down. Funny, the stuff the kids remember.
I love to do "Pretty Paper". Just the sweetest melody line. And the saddest plot...
(09-25-2011, 07:11 PM)illcommandante Wrote: I love to do "Pretty Paper". Just the sweetest melody line. And the saddest plot...

Willie Nelson wrote it in 1961..Roy Orbinson did it well also.

I assumed that Orbison wrote it and Willie did the cover. So full credit to Nelson for one of the greatest protest songs ever. I have the original album. I saw Willie about then. He looked like Perry Como.
(09-25-2011, 10:27 PM)illcommandante Wrote: I assumed that Orbison wrote it and Willie did the cover. So full credit to Nelson for one of the greatest protest songs ever. I have the original album. I saw Willie about then. He looked like Perry Como.

Willie sold "Night Life" to Ray Price for $50 when he was struggling to just eat.
I'm spending Christmas alone unless my roommates are home.
(09-26-2011, 12:19 PM)rainylady Wrote: I'm spending Christmas alone unless my roommates are home.

You might consider volunteering at a soup kitchen.
When our kids have plans on a holiday with their in-laws that is what my husband and I do. We don't feel alone and we're doing something good. Win-Win!