Thousands protest U.S. Koran burning, at least 20 dead so far
We just can't leave these guys alone, can we? Tell me again how this isn't about religious war: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-17152705

[Image: _58692355_afghanistan_protests_624_2t.gif]

Excerpt: "At least eight people have died as protests continue for a fourth day in Afghanistan over the burning of Korans by American troops at a US air base.

Seven people were killed in the western province of Herat, officials said.

Another protester died in the Pul-e-Khumri district of Baghlan province when a reconstruction office came under attack.

On Thursday US President Barack Obama apologised to the Afghan people, saying the burnings were a "genuine mistake".

On Friday, a group of demonstrators tried to attack the US consulate in Herat, burning police vehicles and leaving several officers injured, security sources told the BBC.

Three people were killed in the city, with another four reported dead in other parts of Herat province.

The latest deaths bring the toll from protests in recent days to at least 20, including two US soldiers.

Protests were reported around the country on Friday:

* Five separate groups were heading to different locations in Kabul, including Nato headquarters and the US Embassy, police said, with one protestor reported wounded when police fired into the air. Some 300 people were heading towards Kabul's main military training centre, security sources told the BBC
* About 1,000 people were on the streets in Baghlan
* In Ghazni, 600 demonstrators gathered outside the governor's office shouting "death to Obama"
* About 300 protesters turned out in Kunduz province
* Several thousand people protesting in Nangarhar blocked a highway
* A demonstration in Gardez, capital of Paktia province, is now reported to be over
* A demonstration was reported in the northern city of Mazar-e-Sharif

German troops are also moving from a small base in Takhar province to a larger facility in neighbouring Kunduz province because of protests.

'Major error'

Earlier on Friday, Nato commander in Afghanistan, Gen John Allen, appealed for calm.

"I call on everyone throughout the country - Isaf members and Afghans - to exercise patience and restraint as we continue to gather the facts," Gen Allen said in a statement.

"Working together with the Afghan leadership is the only way for us to correct this major error and ensure that it never happens again," he said.

In a letter to President Hamid Karzai sent on Thursday, Mr Obama expressed his "deep regret".

He also assured the Afghan president that US authorities would question all those responsible.

On Thursday President Karzai told members of the Afghan parliament that a US officer was responsible for the burning, but said it was done out of "ignorance".

But the various apologies proffered by Nato and the US have not cooled the anger on the streets, the BBC's Orla Guerin in Kabul reports.

Muslims consider the Koran the literal word of God and treat each book with deep reverence.

On Thursday the Taliban had called on Afghans to attack "invading forces" in revenge for "insulting" the Koran.

In a statement a Taliban spokesman said Afghans should "not stop at protesting" but instead target military bases and personnel to "teach them a lesson that they will never again dare to insult the Holy Koran".

Last year, at least 24 people died in protests across Afghanistan after a hardline US pastor burned a Koran in Florida."

but then I heard a republican ex-cia agent on Imus this morning denigrating Obama for apologizing to Karzai.
Maybe Larry will tell us what should happen.
In a country that does have enough TP, that they got to use rocks to wipe their ass. I can see why they would get so upset at burning books.
A waste of a valuable resource.
Maybe we should send them some Bibles.
Not like they can read.
(02-24-2012, 07:50 AM)PonderThis Wrote: We just can't leave these guys alone, can we? Tell me again how this isn't about religious war:
Okay, I'll try.
Our involvement in the Middle East, including Afghanistan has always been political rater than religious. We did not put boots on the ground in Afghanistan to convert the people to Christianity or Judaism.
The outcry from the burning of a holy book for many in Afghanistan was political because had it been religious the response would have come from the leaders of the faith rather than the head of government.

The military was painfully sloppy and ignorant in allowing this to happen. All faiths have high regard for the text upon which they base their faith.

Our military is to blame. We would expect them to be competent and sensitive to the possibility of unneeded negative attention.

(02-24-2012, 08:35 AM)Wonky Wrote: We did not put boots on the ground in Afghanistan to convert the people to Christianity or Judaism.

More likely to send them to Hell faster. Just ask Larry. Sleepy
(02-24-2012, 08:59 AM)PonderThis Wrote:
(02-24-2012, 08:35 AM)Wonky Wrote: We did not put boots on the ground in Afghanistan to convert the people to Christianity or Judaism.

More likely to send them to Hell faster. Just ask Larry. Sleepy

Ask Larry?
I guess I missed the "detour" sign.

I've posted many stories in the past detailing God visions Bush had for defeating Muslims and how Christian religion is so closely intertwined in our military. Larry is famous on this forum for defending our war efforts and urging death to all Muslims too. It's hardly a detour.

Besides, coming from a highly evangelical family, I have a very good idea where support for these wars has come from. Of course religion isn't the only motivator, but it's a powerful one.
(02-24-2012, 09:16 AM)PonderThis Wrote: I've posted many stories in the past detailing God visions Bush had for defeating Muslims and how Christian religion is so closely intertwined in our military. Larry is famous on this forum for defending our war efforts and urging death to all Muslims too. It's hardly a detour.

Another detour! Razz
Your point was that Larry was in favor of killing them all and sending them to hell.
Was not aware that Larry had so much power in international affairs.

Larry is only a local example. The world is full of Larry's. Smiling
Touvelle Tavern is a power center for world leaders.
(02-24-2012, 09:22 AM)bbqboy Wrote: Touvelle Tavern is a power center for world leaders.

Laughing Laughing Laughing

They're gonna like hearing that.
We should explain that There are some Americans who are bigoted and hate the Muslims chosen religion just exactly like many of them hate our religion.

An excellent point, btw.
[Image: kn022312dAPR20120224124517.jpg]
Make light of this now, and just keep invading their lands, stealing their lands, stealing their oil, and burning their holy books. Then you can say it's the will of God when the whole world blows up too.
(02-24-2012, 08:05 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Maybe we should send them some Bibles.

Yup. Send them 10 for every koran we burned. Better to burn works of fiction than kill people.

So here's my question - how did they find out our military burned korans? Did we do it in plain sight to perhaps antagonize them? If not, then how?
(02-24-2012, 01:25 PM)Green Wrote: So here's my question - how did they find out our military burned korans? Did we do it in plain sight to perhaps antagonize them? If not, then how?

Local citizens who work at the base discovered the material that had been put into a burn pit by NATO personnel and alerted officials.

Read more: http://www.thebostonchannel.com/news/305...z1nKkF6FA0
Why don't they just print their book on asbestos?