Minimum Wage Workers At 40hrs A Week Can't Afford 2-Bedroom Unit In Any State
Minimum wage is not enough to pay for a two-bedroom unit (at fair market rent) in any state, at least not if you are working a 40-hour week. In fact, in many states, you'd have to work at least double that to get a place big enough for a single parent and one child to each have their own rooms.
[Image: 578228_384864858230431_595528017_n.jpg]
Fair Market Rent is determined by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).

By Staff | Sourced from AlterNet.com Posted at May 29, 2012, 1:21 pm
Minimum wage isn't meant to be a living wage.
This has been posted before and it was shown to be BS before too. Nice try though in your never ending attempts to find fault with this country, capitalism or humans.

There are plenty of nice 2 BR apts for rent at 600 bucks a month. Min wage is what $8.80? times 4 weeks @ 40 hrs. per week = $1408.00 per month.

Poor people live like rich people in this country compared to many countries around the world. NO one goes hungry here. No one is denied employment because of race or religion.
No one accused of a crime is with out an attorney even if they can't afford one.

Also people who really can't afford an apartment or a house are living in nice places making very low payments based on their wages. Plus they are most likely receiving food assistance.

Yeah boy America, what a horrible place to live.
10 years ago, when the place I was working for closed down, we lived on about $800.00 per month, for nearly a year, while I was training for something new. I am sure that that was below minimum wage, as my paychecks were considerably more than that, and I didn't make much more than minimum. Retail.
Our bills were paid, but we did not eat out, nor go out anywhere, that cost $$, for entertainment.
We even smoked back then.
You do what you gotta do, sometimes. And Yes, ofttimes it can be done, even when you think it can't. Many people thought we couldn't, but we did. No food stamps or anything else like that either.
Not saying it was easy. But, it can be done.
(05-30-2012, 11:04 AM)tvguy Wrote: This has been posted before and it was shown to be BS before too. Nice try though in your never ending attempts to find fault with this country, capitalism or humans.

There are plenty of nice 2 BR apts for rent at 600 bucks a month. Min wage is what $8.80? times 4 weeks @ 40 hrs. per week = $1408.00 per month.

Poor people live like rich people in this country compared to many countries around the world. NO one goes hungry here. No one is denied employment because of race or religion.
No one accused of a crime is with out an attorney even if they can't afford one.

Also people who really can't afford an apartment or a house are living in nice places making very low payments based on their wages. Plus they are most likely receiving food assistance.

Your figures are before taxes are taken out.
Plus... there is more than rent to have a place to live. Even if you don't pay for extras (TV, Phone) you still have to factor in electricity, gas, water, sewer, trash.
Oh... and then there's the little things like health insurance and food.
(05-30-2012, 10:58 AM)BeerMe Wrote: Minimum wage isn't meant to be a living wage.
That's right, but in making it "the wage" for unskilled laborers, we have replaced part time high school summer workers and their wages, with our highly populated unskilled people, who are trying to raise a family..

I know many minimum wage workers raising families successfully. It's not easy, but is being done..
(05-30-2012, 11:35 AM)hillclimber Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 10:58 AM)BeerMe Wrote: Minimum wage isn't meant to be a living wage.
That's right, but in making it "the wage" for unskilled laborers, we have replaced part time high school summer workers and their wages, with our highly populated unskilled people, who are trying to raise a family..

I know many minimum wage workers raising families successfully. It's not easy, but is being done..
why do you think the Rogue Valley has so many minimum wage jobs?
Do you think elected leaders are responsible?
They can always deal drugs, turn tricks or sell Amway in their spare time, too.
(05-30-2012, 11:20 AM)tealeaf Wrote: 10 years ago, when the place I was working for closed down, we lived on about $800.00 per month, for nearly a year, while I was training for something new. I am sure that that was below minimum wage, as my paychecks were considerably more than that, and I didn't make much more than minimum. Retail.
Our bills were paid, but we did not eat out, nor go out anywhere, that cost $$, for entertainment.
You do what you gotta do, sometimes. And Yes, ofttimes it can be done, even when you think it can't. Many people thought we couldn't, but we did. No food stamps or anything else like that either.

Was that before or after taxes and remember that the dollar was worth more back then and you weren't paying $400 to $600 a month for rent. And if memory serves, gold was about $350 an oz and is now around $1600 so inflation of the dollar must be considered.

Trying to live, and some 50million people do on $800($9600 yr) or less which is below the poverty level today is almost impossible and that $800 income for one is even too much to get food stamps in the world of today. SSI pays much less than poverty and many on SS also are impoverished.

Quote:Today the poverty level for a single person is $10,890, family of four is $22,350.

Among developed countries, each country then has its own definition and threshold of what it means to be poor, but this is not adjusted for cost of living and social benefits. For instance, despite the fact that France and US have about the same threshold in terms of dollars amount for poverty, cost of living and health benefits may differ (with universal health insurance coverage for poor people in France)..............Wikipedia
Sorry. It's not impossible. our mortgage, at that time was 465.00. The $$ was not taxed. it was social security. It can be done, it just depends on what you are willing to give up, usually.
One thing that did get deferred, was property taxes, but that was paid the next year.
We also had no credit card debt, or car payment. That helps a lot, but most people don't live quite like that. We try to, somewhat, even when we do have extra. We live very modestly. Our needs are simple. I like it that way. Smiling
(05-30-2012, 11:20 AM)tealeaf Wrote: 10 years ago, when the place I was working for closed down, we lived on about $800.00 per month, for nearly a year, while I was training for something new. I am sure that that was below minimum wage, as my paychecks were considerably more than that, and I didn't make much more than minimum. Retail.

Some folks don't see the forest for the trees.
Some folks don't realize what is happening to this country's workers.
Some folks brag of their ability to live well in poverty.
Is this what we're really trying to achieve here?
Can we please look at the big picture once in a while?
Does it not bother you that in another time, not so far back, folks were able to spend 1/4 of their wages on rent/mortgage in most states?
You are glamorizing poverty...like who needs to ever eat a meal out, or go to a movie, or put decent tires on the modest used car, right?
[Image: 149762_421735494515823_255812618_n.jpg]
I glamorized nothing. I said I did it. wasn't bragging either, I did not say it was easy.
Anything but. But it can be done, while you get on your feet. I've known others that have had to do it too. And successfully.
(05-30-2012, 01:48 PM)tealeaf Wrote: I glamorized nothing. I said I did it. wasn't bragging either, I did not say it was easy.
Anything but. But it can be done, while you get on your feet. I've known others that have had to do it too. And successfully.

I am sorry tealeaf, but you seem not to grasp that thes low wages are not some temporary thing while climbing the ladder of success.

This has now become the new "middle class" wage for millions as there is no longer a ladder to climb up since US company's have no interest in the welfare of the country or its people, only the quarterly bottom line.

When Clinton signed NAFTA and GAT those in the know said it would destroy the middle class and the manufacturing base of the country, and it did.

Labour was not the downfall of the US manufacturing anyway, it was shoddy junk that was designed and produced, like cars.

Japan made better cars for the money and the American public bought them. The US worker had nothing to do with management decisions while the German model has labour and management working together to produce a great product that sells worldwide.

Today, Korea is the up and coming producer of great cars.
(05-30-2012, 11:27 AM)Scrapper Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 11:04 AM)tvguy Wrote: This has been posted before and it was shown to be BS before too. Nice try though in your never ending attempts to find fault with this country, capitalism or humans.

Plus... there is more than rent to have a place to live. Even if you don't pay for extras (TV, Phone) you still have to factor in electricity, gas, water, sewer, trash.

Taxes LOL who are you kidding, If you work min wage all year you will get everything you paid back. If you have kids you will get more than you paid back.

And the article says people CAN'T AFFORD and apt on min wage. IMO think it's hilarious that you you want to add the cost of TV and a telephone:wacko: and health insurance?? Really scrapper? You think the average min wage worker who needs a roof over their head is paying for health insurance.

I didn't forget any of the things you mentioned.
(05-30-2012, 01:44 PM)Clone Wrote:

Some folks don't see the forest for the trees.
Some folks don't realize what is happening to this country's workers.
Some folks brag of their ability to live well in poverty.
Is this what we're really trying to achieve here?
Can we please look at the big picture once in a while?
Does it not bother you that in another time, not so far back, folks were able to spend 1/4 of their wages on rent/mortgage in most states?
You are glamorizing poverty...like who needs to ever eat a meal out, or go to a movie, or put decent tires on the modest used car, right?

OMG Clone lose the Drama, you are not the spokesperson for the poor in the Grapes of wrath. The article is bullshit. Tealeaf knows it from her own personal experience.
Why the hell do you have to act like the world is coming to an end.

No one is glamorizing poverty, I see just the opposite with people like you EXAGGERATING what you CALL poverty.

Funny but I don't see hungry people anywhere at all? I don't see anyone digging through garbage piles. What I see from the poor are people drinking beer smoking weed and waiting for the GUB to renew their mooch card for another month.

OH LORDY what a horrible countryLaughingLaughing
When all else fails post a pictur,e these people couldn't even afford COLORLaughingLaughingLaughing LaughingLaughing What a HORRIBLE country when they gotta be black and white.

(05-30-2012, 01:47 PM)Clone Wrote: [Image: 149762_421735494515823_255812618_n.jpg]
(05-30-2012, 03:18 PM)tvguy Wrote: When all else fails post a pictur,e these people couldn't even afford COLORLaughingLaughingLaughing LaughingLaughing What a HORRIBLE country when they gotta be black and white.

(05-30-2012, 01:47 PM)Clone Wrote: [Image: 149762_421735494515823_255812618_n.jpg]

you are sometimes a singular douchebag
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothea_Lange
(05-30-2012, 03:09 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 11:27 AM)Scrapper Wrote:

Taxes LOL who are you kidding, If you work min wage all year you will get everything you paid back. If you have kids you will get more than you paid back.

And the article says people CAN'T AFFORD and apt on min wage. IMO think it's hilarious that you you want to add the cost of TV and a telephone:wacko: and health insurance?? Really scrapper? You think the average min wage worker who needs a roof over their head is paying for health insurance.

I didn't forget any of the things you mentioned.

Getting the money at the end of the year doesn't help one pay their rent each month.

Also... I didn't WANT TO ADD TV and Phone... if you would learn how to read... I stated "Even if you don't pay for extras (TV, Phone) you still have to factor in electricity, gas, water, sewer, trash."
(05-30-2012, 03:22 PM)bbqboy Wrote:
(05-30-2012, 03:18 PM)tvguy Wrote: When all else fails post a pictur,e these people couldn't even afford COLORLaughingLaughingLaughing LaughingLaughing What a HORRIBLE country when they gotta be black and white.

you are sometimes a singular douchebag
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dorothea_Lange

Better than to always be one. Better than to be a whining crying sniveling complainer about anything American.
I don't give a shit what you think, I'm sick to death of all the occupy 99% radical wanabe drama queens making up shit to protest when they can't find something REAL.