Ten SHTF Threats Not Prepared For by Preppers
(08-24-2012, 10:02 PM)Larry Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 09:49 PM)Tiamat Wrote: That's a paraphrase. Here's what she said:
Quote:What I'm hearing, which is sort of scary, is they all want to stay in Texas. Everyone is so overwhelmed by the hospitality. And so many of the people in the arena here, you know, were underprivileged anyway, so this is working very well for them.
http://www.snopes.com/politics/quotes/barbara2.asp

I don't take that as meaning they should be happy living in a stadium. I take that as meaning they were welcomed in Texas and the prospect of moving back to New Orleans might not be a choice they desired?

Gotchya politics practiced on both sides.
She should have said. ....They didn't have shit THERE! and now they don't have shit HERE! but here they are above sea level.
(08-24-2012, 10:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: She should have said. ....They didn't have shit THERE! and now they don't have shit HERE! but here they are above sea level.

Well, they should have prepped, shouldn't they? Katrina is the low bar. And the reason why you should at least have something ready.
(08-24-2012, 10:16 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 10:06 PM)tvguy Wrote: She should have said. ....They didn't have shit THERE! and now they don't have shit HERE! but here they are above sea level.

Well, they should have prepped, shouldn't they? Katrina is the low bar. And the reason why you should at least have something ready.

Their mayor and governor never implemented their emergency evacuation plans from the beginning. They repeatedly told the Feds they were fine. That's why the city and school buses were under water and not full of evacuees days before Katrina hit land. They got screwed by their "leaders" first.
(08-24-2012, 10:25 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 10:16 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

Their mayor and governor never implemented their emergency evacuation plans from the beginning. They repeatedly told the Feds they were fine. That's why the city and school buses were under water and not full of evacuees days before Katrina hit land. They got screwed by their "leaders" first.

Thanks for pointing out my point, OL.Wink
Back to the OP, Clone. Tell us more about your prepping progress? Do you have a plan? A supply? a SHTF plan? I know you are looking more towards economic hedging. Lots of folks do that. Just be careful that you are buying what you actually use. I gave a way a bunch of canned food to Maslow a year or two ago, because I had gotten it, but hadn't use it.
Speaking of different locales and SHTF scenarios?

In all honesty, that is one of the reasons we are in Southern Oregon and not New York City.

I couldn't think much about disaster scenarios when we lived in Staten Island; there's a huge population and only four bridges out...one of them going to Brooklyn which probably wouldn't be a first choice in direction.

I can't recall ever calling Larry mad!
We certainly don't seemed plagued by hurricanes or tornado but that doesn't make us immune from floods.. The upcoming earthquake? Who knows?
(08-24-2012, 10:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Back to the OP, Clone. Tell us more about your prepping progress? Do you have a plan? A supply? a SHTF plan? I know you are looking more towards economic hedging. Lots of folks do that. Just be careful that you are buying what you actually use. I gave a way a bunch of canned food to Maslow a year or two ago, because I had gotten it, but hadn't use it.

That's the kicker.
We can always eat canned green beans and canned corn, but those are our limit.
I hate everything else canned. Ewwe, that beef stew and hash stuff. Yuck.
So, Freddies has those frozen steam pack veggies for $1. We do eat those..BUT..how smart is it to fill up a freezer?
So far we've got about 30 cans of green beans and corn.
About 30 cans of assorted S&W petite cut tomatoes.
4-36 oz containers of organic Texmatic brown rice.
(It's not as much quantity as I thought)
4 tins of Irish steel cut oats
Dried beans and lentils are next...do you have any suggestions where one can obtain those one-gallon glass jars?
That's where the canned tomatoes will come in.
They're great with pinto/black/white beans.
I'm kinda lost, I need to start a list.
Any and all suggestions welcomed.
Tuna?
Chicken?
Milk powder?
Canned milk?
Flour?
(08-24-2012, 11:35 PM)Tiamat Wrote: We certainly don't seemed plagued by hurricanes or tornado but that doesn't make us immune from floods.. The upcoming earthquake? Who knows?

Whether correct or incorrect, it seems to me the whole financial, the whole printing paper money, the whole sovereign debt thing is ready to collapse. In an instant. Domino effect.

I will just feel better with some extra food until everything gets sorted out. Smiling
It's the federal reserves fault
(08-25-2012, 12:02 AM)Clone Wrote:
(08-24-2012, 10:51 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Back to the OP, Clone. Tell us more about your prepping progress? Do you have a plan? A supply? a SHTF plan? I know you are looking more towards economic hedging. Lots of folks do that. Just be careful that you are buying what you actually use. I gave a way a bunch of canned food to Maslow a year or two ago, because I had gotten it, but hadn't use it.

That's the kicker.
So, Freddies has those frozen steam pack veggies for $1. We do eat those..BUT..how smart is it to fill up a freezer?
Dried beans and lentils are next...do you have any suggestions where one can obtain those one-gallon glass jars?
Tuna?
Chicken?
Milk powder?
Canned milk?
Flour?

Ah! Clone! You are totally getting what I've been saying! How can you store that much stuff when you don't eat it? Not sure about the jars, but I find those large popcorn tins that are popular at Christmas make pretty nice storage for beans and such.
(08-25-2012, 12:02 AM)Clone Wrote:

That's the kicker.
Tuna?
Chicken?
Milk powder?
Canned milk?
Flour?

Salt, we like sea salt in bulk from winco, and sugar. Either one of these can used for curing meat/wild game if need be. Rice milk is what we have because boy and I can't drink cows milk, and rice milk stores fine at room temperature, bulky though.
fat. As in oil, crisco, lard.
Peanut butter.
Honey.
Bleach
bleach?
(08-25-2012, 06:31 PM)bbqboy Wrote: bleach?

You can disinfect water for drinking. Or iodine if you'd rather. But cheaper and easier to pick up.
Propane. You can stay warm , cook food, boil and disinfect water. And when you think about it you can cook one hell of a lot of means with one lousy tank.
(08-25-2012, 06:53 PM)tvguy Wrote: Propane. You can stay warm , cook food, boil and disinfect water. And when you think about it you can cook one hell of a lot of means with one lousy tank.

Don't forget the stove.Smiling
(08-25-2012, 07:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote: Don't forget the stove.Smiling

We have a pretty good two-burner Insta-Start Coleman stove and I keep picking up propane bottles when they're on sale. We now have 8! LOL

Hey..maybe I should sell the kerosene heater on craigslist and just go with a propane heater. I wouldn't mind getting rid of the gas can full of kerosene out in the car port.

I guess we can't move the fire pit from the backyard into the cottage, eh? Wink
(08-25-2012, 07:01 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(08-25-2012, 06:53 PM)tvguy Wrote: Propane. You can stay warm , cook food, boil and disinfect water. And when you think about it you can cook one hell of a lot of means with one lousy tank.

Don't forget the stove.Smiling

Or a propane BBQSmiling Or even a Mr. Heater or a weed burner. Or one of those car little coleman cookers that you can get at yard sales for 5 bucks.

I have 2 or three tanks because I use them all and I like to go get them all filled at once .
But seriously I would think having propane stored should be way up on the list of the things you would need if the SHTF.