Would YOU Support This?
http://teenchallengeusa.com/

Somewhere within our forum enclave of "discussion" are some posts by csrowan and groups that can help with our gang violence with teens problem and why we couldn't put some federal funding toward that. There actually are groups that do that with all donations, one of them being Teen Challenge. How many on here would jump on the bandwagon to help provide federal funding for this group? They are highly successful with getting teens out of gangs and off of the streets.
(01-12-2013, 01:08 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: http://teenchallengeusa.com/

Somewhere within our forum enclave of "discussion" are some posts by csrowan and groups that can help with our gang violence with teens problem and why we couldn't put some federal funding toward that. There actually are groups that do that with all donations, one of them being Teen Challenge. How many on here would jump on the bandwagon to help provide federal funding for this group? They are highly successful with getting teens out of gangs and off of the streets.

Sorry. I don't approve of government support of religion.

Now if you create a secular version of this, or find one of the successful secular programs that are already out there, by all means, I'd be happy to see it funded by my tax dollars.

Sounds like a good cause.
Maybe we could remove federal funding from another government program. Maybe the Oil Depletion allowance. Or PBS. Or one of the agricultural subsidies. Or the endowment to the humanities.
So why do I feel you are propping up a straw man? Oh, that's right...I have seen hundreds of your posts and have a sense of your "values".
Funding worthwhile programs with government (our) money is often a good thing. Now if we could only decide what things are "worthwhile".
(01-12-2013, 01:15 PM)Wonky Wrote:

Sounds like a good cause.
Maybe we could remove federal funding from another government program. Maybe the Oil Depletion allowance. Or PBS. Or one of the agricultural subsidies. Or the endowment to the humanities.
So why do I feel you are propping up a straw man? Oh, that's right...I have seen hundreds of your posts and have a sense of your "values".
Funding worthwhile programs with government (our) money is often a good thing. Now if we could only decide what things are "worthwhile".

Did you even click on the link? I doubt you did.
(01-12-2013, 01:12 PM)csrowan Wrote:

Now if you create a secular version of this, or find one of the successful secular programs that are already out there, by all means, I'd be happy to see it funded by my tax dollars.

Just as I thought. Fuck 'em if they believe in something I don't. Who cares about the success rate, let those bastards and anyone hurt by them eat cake.
(01-12-2013, 01:38 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:

Just as I thought. Fuck 'em if they believe in something I don't. Who cares about the success rate, let those bastards and anyone hurt by them eat cake.

Just as I thought. You pay no attention to my actual words.

You completely ignore the part where I say I'm willing to see secular programs that perform the same services funded by my taxes.

You also seem to think that my not wanting them to have government funding is the same as saying 'fuck 'em', instead of saying 'they can do what they want, but our tax dollars should not be used in support of religion'.
How'd the chastity pledge, work out for ya?
(01-12-2013, 01:50 PM)csrowan Wrote:

You completely ignore the part where I say I'm willing to see secular programs that perform the same services funded by my taxes.

You also seem to think that my not wanting them to have government funding is the same as saying 'fuck 'em', instead of saying 'they can do what they want, but our tax dollars should not be used in support of religion'.

So YOU wouldn't support them either?
(01-12-2013, 01:12 PM)csrowan Wrote: Sorry. I don't approve of government support of religion.

Ditto that!
(01-12-2013, 01:57 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(01-12-2013, 01:50 PM)csrowan Wrote:

So YOU wouldn't support them either?

The money I donate goes to causes I feel are important, and to organizations I feel are best capable of using that money for maximum effect without proselytizing a religious, spiritual, or mystical belief.

I wouldn't ask you to donate money to an anti-gang organization that uses a portion of their donations to support gun control legislation. I'd ask that you offer me the same courtesy and not ask me to donate money to an anti-gang organization that uses a portion of their donations to preach religion.
I'm not asking you to donate to anything, just pointing out that you guys continue to prove my point. It isn't the violence or death you hate, it's just he method. You hate the competition. You think that just because they use the bible to help people that it isn't a worthy cause. By the same token you think that leftists fantasies of gun control will make the people teen challenge helps automatically stop their violence.

Teen Challenge actually does what the government can't do, because they don't regulate how to make it work, they use what works. People like you think that if it takes god for someone to stop their bad behaviors that maybe they shouldn't stop then because there is no god.
what are you babbling about? And who is "you"?
(01-12-2013, 02:30 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: I'm not asking you to donate to anything, just pointing out that you guys continue to prove my point. It isn't the violence or death you hate, it's just he method. You hate the competition. You think that just because they use the bible to help people that it isn't a worthy cause. By the same token you think that leftists fantasies of gun control will make the people teen challenge helps automatically stop their violence.

Teen Challenge actually does what the government can't do, because they don't regulate how to make it work, they use what works. People like you think that if it takes god for someone to stop their bad behaviors that maybe they shouldn't stop then because there is no god.

Again, you completely fail to comprehend.

This isn't a choice of 'if you don't support these people, you're a hypocrite', this is a choice of 'here's one potential group to support'.

I don't hate these people. This Christian anti-gang group merely does not stand for what I stand for. I have no wish to shut them down. I would just rather give my money to another anti-gang group which does stand for what I stand for.

They also proselytize, and therefore should not receive money from the federal government, any more than a Muslim anti-gang group preaching peace through Islam should receive funding from the federal government. Or an atheist group preaching peace through godlessness.
(01-12-2013, 02:40 PM)csrowan Wrote:
(01-12-2013, 02:30 PM)orygunluvr Wrote: I'm not asking you to donate to anything, just pointing out that you guys continue to prove my point. It isn't the violence or death you hate, it's just he method. You hate the competition. You think that just because they use the bible to help people that it isn't a worthy cause. By the same token you think that leftists fantasies of gun control will make the people teen challenge helps automatically stop their violence.

Again, you completely fail to comprehend.

This isn't a choice of 'if you don't support these people, you're a hypocrite', this is a choice of 'here's one potential group to support'.

I don't hate these people. This Christian anti-gang group merely does not stand for what I stand for. I have no wish to shut them down. I would just rather give my money to another anti-gang group which does stand for what I stand for.

They also proselytize, and therefore should not receive money from the federal government, any more than a Muslim anti-gang group preaching peace through Islam should receive funding from the federal government. Or an atheist group preaching peace through godlessness.

LaughingLaughingLaughing

Don't you stand for stopping gang violence first and foremost?
No group that pushes religious beliefs on impressionable young minds is ethical.
(01-12-2013, 03:24 PM)PonderThis Wrote: No group that pushes religious beliefs on impressionable young minds is ethical.

But it works to stop violence and death. Something all your fantasies about gun control has never achieved. They even promote a healthy family lifestyle.
If a healthy family lifestyle involves believing in nonsense and donating money to the church for the rest of their lives, sure.
(01-12-2013, 03:27 PM)orygunluvr Wrote:
(01-12-2013, 03:24 PM)PonderThis Wrote: No group that pushes religious beliefs on impressionable young minds is ethical.

But it works to stop violence and death. Something all your fantasies about gun control has never achieved. They even promote a healthy family lifestyle.

So do secular programs.
For years, "Thumper" was just a little bunny, to me.
I would support any existing group with a proven track record of stopping gang violence and or stopping kids from joining gangs.

And I don't give a damn if they push religion while they do this. Silly me I look at the bottom line which is saving lives.
You anti Christians Zealots apparently don't care about the bottom line and much as you care about the horror of spreading Christianity?