Imaham! A Kindle Question Please?
I am reading my eyeballs off and keep filling up my KindleFire more and more.

I have not checked out apps, I just use it to read...but...

Do you know of any way to arrange my books in catagories such as Cookbook, Mystery, Biography, etc?

Thanks!!!
I'd love to know the answer to that as well.
(01-21-2013, 08:28 PM)Scrapper Wrote: I'd love to know the answer to that as well.

It's crazy! I find myself having to go to Manage my Kindle on Amazon to see what I have! Confused
This may help you.
http://askville.amazon.com/organize-kind...d=74867254
I will have to do some research on that. Do you want to organize them on the device itself or in the cloud?

BTW, there is a very excellent user forum on Amazon for the kindle. You can find it here and if I can't come up with an answer I would bet that someone there can!

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle
Awesome! Thanks!
Here are a couple of pages I found in a short search. It appears it depends on which version of the Kindle you have:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/d...5850&#sort

http://www.amazon.com/forum/kindle?_enco...KHRQSAXDP3

I would suggest doing a Google search for something like:

How do I categorize my Kindle (fill in the blank) by category
Thank you so much, imaham!

Nice to see your handsome face, too! Smiling
I sneak in every once in awhile Smiling Let me know what you find out. I have something like 350 books on my Fire HD now and wouldn't mind doing a bit of sorting myself!
(01-21-2013, 08:45 PM)charger Wrote: This may help you.
http://askville.amazon.com/organize-kind...d=74867254

Okay! This seems tedious but workable!

Answer from Shakahara 2 people found this helpful You can't just put the files in folders on the PC (the Kindle won't recognize those folders). But from your home screen *on the Kindle itself* you can push the Menu button, and then select Create New Collection. Enter a name for the collection, and then your collections will show up at the top of your list of books on the Home screen. (If they don't, hit the up arrow to go to the very top line, and you can use right or left to choose how your documents are sorted -- e.g., By Author, By Title, etc. -- you want to sort them By Collections.)

Then you can click on the name of the collection to view it, and then once you're inside the collection, click Menu, and then "Add/Remove Items". This will take you to a list of all the documents you have on the Kindle, and let you select them to put them into the collection.

Lather, rinse, repeat, to create additional collections. Why unnecessarily complicate the situation like this and make you do it on the Kindle instead letting you put them in folders on the computer? I don't know but maybe because (1) Collections are different from folders in that you can put the same book in more than one collection; they are more like "tags" or something in that way. Also, (2)

For more information, here is the page of instructions from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/help/customer/d...=200375850

Onwards and upwards to further exploration!
Bingo! Some developer got tired of Kindle not doing this so he did it and now it's being sold on Amazon.

There's an app for that!

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B...9C4/gagler-

Quote:Please note this version is for the 7-inch “regular” version of the Kindle Fire only, and not the HD or 8.9” tablet version. Please click on the developer name (“Gagler Enterprises”) just under the app’s name at the top of this page to see our other versions for your particular version of the Fire.

Expand the capabilities of your Kindle Fire by organizing your books into your own unique / user-defined categories such as mysteries, thrillers, science fiction, and more: you define the categories. Gone are the days of endlessly searching the book carousel on the Kindle Fire for the next book you want to read – if you’re looking for a particular genre, category, or author (just to name a few) you can quickly get to the book and start reading vs. wasting time on an endless search!

Users can take it one step further and color-code the book’s spine not only for visual appeal on your Kindle Fire’s bookshelf, but to further classify or define your own filing system – you are only limited by your own imagination! Also, you can edit each book’s data and add page / location numbers for last page read, make notes, change the bookshelf color-coding, and more! Please note due to limitations in the Fire reader software, you will need to either bookmark your last page read or enter (within the app) the last location read when you are done reading for the session.

It’s pretty simple: classify your books into your own categories and launch your book directly from the app and start reading. Once you are ready to put your book down, you can easily note your last page / location read. You can quickly scan your bookshelf to see the last page read or go back to the Edit Book Data screen to retrieve your last page read and pick right back up where you last finished.
Be sure you read through the reviews before you spring for buying an app. I looked at the version for the Fire HD and it had more bad reviews than good. YMMV
(01-21-2013, 09:13 PM)imaham Wrote: Be sure you read through the reviews before you spring for buying an app. I looked at the version for the Fire HD and it had more bad reviews than good. YMMV

Always good advice...what with our real estate adventures I have to put this on hold until I have some time to sit own and check it all out.

How's your horse?
(01-21-2013, 09:23 PM)Clone Wrote:
(01-21-2013, 09:13 PM)imaham Wrote: Be sure you read through the reviews before you spring for buying an app. I looked at the version for the Fire HD and it had more bad reviews than good. YMMV

Always good advice...what with our real estate adventures I have to put this on hold until I have some time to sit own and check it all out.

How's your horse?

We lost one this summer, the oldest one. He went down with colic and didn't come out of it. The other one is doing fine abiet a bit lonely but she is doing better than I thought she would. We brought them both in together but he had gotten pretty cranky the past couple of years towards her so maybe she is relieved he is gone. It is always tough losing one though.
(01-21-2013, 10:24 PM)imaham Wrote: We lost one this summer, the oldest one. He went down with colic and didn't come out of it. The other one is doing fine abiet a bit lonely but she is doing better than I thought she would. We brought them both in together but he had gotten pretty cranky the past couple of years towards her so maybe she is relieved he is gone. It is always tough losing one though.

Awww...wish I could come brush her and feed her treats.
It's never easy to lose a loved four-legged, no matter how old and cranky.
You know, when our friends started buying mini-donkeys I thought they had lost their minds.
I've now discovered what wonderful pets they are and why people love them!
They're so affectionate and smart!
Maybe you should get a couple to put in the pasture...you should always have at least two because they're so social.
Think about it...I'm not kidding.
They are very fun companions.
Our friends say the donks are easier to care for than dogs.