Sherif Shot Dead in W.VA
Gee, I guess he didn't have his gun with him. He should have sat there, like we all should, awaiting the Bad Guys, right? We should all just sit wherever we are, look out our windows and wait with our fingers on the trigger so we can blast 'em, right?

http://www.cnn.com/2013/04/03/justice/we...?hpt=hp_t2

A West Virginia sheriff with a reputation for cracking down on drug dealers was shot in the head at point blank range and killed outside a county courthouse today, officials and witnesses said.

Mingo County Sheriff Eugene Crum was shot and killed while sitting in his vehicle during his lunch break in the town of Williamson
But they didn't shoot the deputy.

(04-03-2013, 03:49 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Gee, I guess he didn't have his gun with him. He should have sat there, like we all should, awaiting the Bad Guys, right? We should all just sit wherever we are, look out our windows and wait with our fingers on the trigger so we can blast 'em, right?

What in the hell kind of a crazy ass point are you trying to make?

I suspect that it's something to the effect of .. look everyone having a gun doesn't protect you???
If he died at the hands of a drug dealer, it's not a reason to cheer. It's really pretty hard to feel good about a dead sheriff. Or to see him as something less for enforcing the law. Whatever the story, our law bought this to us. Because we let ourselves be suckered. If the sheriffs see the drug war as lucrative, it's due to their ability to spot fools.
TennisMom.

http://seattle.cbslocal.com/2013/04/04/g...-her-home/

I wonder what the story line would be, if you had YOUR way?
Point blank. Broad daylight. The killer had a grudge that put him past caring. It'd be interesting to know why. This isn't Mexican Mafia.
My crazy-ass point is that we can all arm ourselves to the hilt but it won't prevent gun deaths. Perhaps if a few politicians, law enforcement officials and district attorneys (and ADAs) get their asses shot off instead of just innocent kids, college students and theater goers, they might legislate some serious gun laws. Oh, wait, that is already happening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou...death_rate

Yeah, Larry, that's a great story. The guy wasn't armed, so he'll probably get a slap on the wrist. Maybe he'll buy an RPG at Wal-Mart and go back to grandma's house to get his own back.

Lawyers who helped put away members of the Aryan Brotherhood are looking over their shoulders now, for sure.
(04-05-2013, 02:57 PM)TennisMom Wrote: My crazy-ass point is that we can all arm ourselves to the hilt but it won't prevent gun deaths.

If you want to be accurate you should have said My crazy-ass point is that we can all arm ourselves to the hilt but it won't prevent ALL gun deaths.

It sure as hell does prevent a certain amount of deaths

Quote: Perhaps if a few politicians, law enforcement officials and district attorneys (and ADAs) get their asses shot off instead of just innocent kids, college students and theater goers, they might legislate some serious gun laws. Oh, wait, that is already happening.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_cou...death_rate

What does that mean? What does your link have to do with serious gun laws? it's a link to a List of firearm-related deaths in other countries?
Yes, TV, it is a list of firearm-related deaths in other countries. The correlation between countries with strict gun laws and ours is the point. Once again, we are at the bottom of the list along with our infant mortality rate and health-care availability to our citizens. Oh yes, and education. We suck at that too.

Teev, picture a bunch of teachers in Sandy Hook elementary school packin' their rods and having a shootout at the OK corral. Even more people could have been injured. Trained police officers don't even shoot straight all the time.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/2...7820130123
(04-12-2013, 12:04 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Yes, TV, it is a list of firearm-related deaths in other countries. The correlation between countries with strict gun laws and ours is the point.

And never mind the fact that those other countries don't have the gangs and Ghetto criminals that we have Or anywhere near the number of people percentage wise committing crimes.
It's apples to oranges.

Quote:Once again, we are at the bottom of the list along with our infant mortality rate and health-care availability to our citizens. Oh yes, and education. We suck at that too.

The same is true for the MYTH that our infant mortality rate is so much worse than other countries.
" Nations provide their infant mortality rates (IMR) using differing definitions, resulting in a skewed picture of how each country is truly able to stave off death in their newborns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_mortality provides some excellent definitions and citations on this topic, showing how the U.S. and many of the other western nations utilize a much more stringent definition of infant life, and thus are doomed to have results that appear to be worse than they are in comparison with other nations."

Quote:
Teev, picture a bunch of teachers in Sandy Hook elementary school packin' their rods and having a shootout at the OK corral. Even more people could have been injured. Trained police officers don't even shoot straight all the time.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2013/01/2...7820130123

These two cops fired their weapons when an armed man pointed a gun directly at them.
I don't see that as any kind of proof that if someone at Sandy hook was armed that they couldn't have shot the killer.

It seems ludicrous to me to try and claim that it was somehow better that no one had a gun when this sick son of a bitch was killing babies.

You cherry picked a very unfortunate example to make your point when there are thousands of examples of police shooting accurately and hitting only their target.
I wonder what law enforcement thinks about gun laws, concealed carry, armed citizens, etc?

Here ya go. Over 15,000 responded to a questionaire.

http://ddq74coujkv1i.cloudfront.net/p1_g...y_2013.pdf
Strong majorities of Americans say they favor stricter gun laws, including an assault-weapons ban and universal background checks for private gun sales, according to a new national Morning Joe/Marist poll.

Read the entire poll here

Six in 10 respondents – including 83 percent of Democrats, 43 percent of gun owners and 37 percent of Republicans – believe that the laws covering gun sales should be stricter.

This figure is virtually unchanged from the 61 percent who backed stricter gun laws when a NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll asked the same question in February, even though at least one other national survey has found waning support for gun-control laws months after the Dec. 2012 shootings in Newtown, Conn.
What’s more, the Morning Joe/Marist poll finds that 87 percent of Americans support background checks for private gun sales and sales at gun shows, and 59 percent favor legislation that would ban the sale of assault weapons.

http://firstread.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/...-laws?lite
(04-12-2013, 03:54 PM)Clone Wrote: Strong majorities of Americans say they favor stricter gun laws, including an assault-weapons ban and universal background checks for private gun sales, according to a new national Morning Joe/Marist poll.

So what? Do you think the Sheriff would still be alive with these stricter gun laws? And I should also ask TM If she thinks the Sheriff would still be alive with her more "serious" gun laws.
Oh, please, Larry. If I want to know how law enforcement feels about an armed populace, I'll ask my brother who is an ex-NY cop and a republican. He reluctantly agrees with me that there are just too many guns in circulation and in the wrong hands. I'll talk to him about 'cop-killer bullets'.
I haven't read anywhere of an instance where an armed lunatic on a college campus, shopping mall (another shooting in one of those yesterday, btw, in Virginia) or movie theater was stopped by another armed person. TV unwittingly supported my assertions by saying 'These two cops fired their weapons when an armed man pointed a gun directly at them. '. What would they have done had the shooter been spraying bullets from Adam Lanza's gun?
My brother was about to leave work one night when a call came in for the police to investigate a house where a resident supposedly barricaded himself inside. No reports of any weapon; just a concerned neighbor. His friend told him to go ahead, that he would take the call. The friend (Michael Frey, Eastchester NY P.D.) pulled up in front of the house, got out of his car and was shot dead in the street. Of course the dirt bag inside the house engaged the police in a shootout of sorts before killing himself. My brother was a wreck for a long time after that.
So you don't have to tell me what law enforcement thinks about our gun culture. I already know.
[quote='tvguy' pid='277786' dateline='1365800012']

The same is true for the MYTH that our infant mortality rate is so much worse than other countries.
" Nations provide their infant mortality rates (IMR) using differing definitions, resulting in a skewed picture of how each country is truly able to stave off death in their newborns. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infant_mortality provides some excellent definitions and citations on this topic, showing how the U.S. and many of the other western nations utilize a much more stringent definition of infant life, and thus are doomed to have results that appear to be worse than they are in comparison with other nations."

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politic...24098&t=19

U.S. Ranks at the Bottom of Child Well-Being
The United States ranked 26 out of 29 countries, just ahead of Lithuania, Latvia and Romania.
April 12, 2013 |
The United States ranked in the bottom four of a United Nations report on child well-being. Among 29 countries, America landed second from the bottom in child poverty and held a similarly dismal position when it came to “child life satisfaction.”

Keeping the U.S. company at the bottom of the report, which gauged material well-being, overall health, access to housing and education, were Lithuania, Latvia and Romania, three of the poorest countries in the survey.

Myth? No, I don't think so.
(04-13-2013, 12:52 PM)TennisMom Wrote: TV unwittingly supported my assertions by saying 'These two cops fired their weapons when an armed man pointed a gun directly at them. '. What would they have done had the shooter been spraying bullets from Adam Lanza's gun?

Spraying bullets? you still don't know the difference in an assault rifle and a semi auto hunting rifle do you. And what on earth assertion did I alegedly support?

(04-13-2013, 12:52 PM)TennisMom Wrote: My brother was about to leave work one night when a call came in for the police to investigate a house where a resident supposedly barricaded himself inside. No reports of any weapon; just a concerned neighbor. His friend told him to go ahead, that he would take the call. The friend (Michael Frey, Eastchester NY P.D.) pulled up in front of the house, got out of his car and was shot dead in the street. Of course the dirt bag inside the house engaged the police in a shootout of sorts before killing himself. My brother was a wreck for a long time after that.
So you don't have to tell me what law enforcement thinks about our gun culture. I already know.

You already know what all entire law enforcement thinks because of your brother and his friend?? Really. So you are going to go with that and totally dismiss what Larry posted. That's a closed minded attitude TM.

I would think it would be VERY interesting for people like you to read what the people who actually face criminals with guns think.
(04-13-2013, 01:17 PM)TennisMom Wrote: [quote='tvguy' pid='277786' dateline='1365800012']

http://www.alternet.org/news-amp-politic...24098&t=19

U.S. Ranks at the Bottom of Child Well-Being
The United States ranked 26 out of 29 countries, just ahead of Lithuania, Latvia and Romania.
April 12, 2013 |
The United States ranked in the bottom four of a United Nations report on child well-being. Among 29 countries, America landed second from the bottom in child poverty and held a similarly dismal position when it came to “child life satisfaction.”

Keeping the U.S. company at the bottom of the report, which gauged material well-being, overall health, access to housing and education, were Lithuania, Latvia and Romania, three of the poorest countries in the survey.

Myth? No, I don't think so.

You are right, it's not a myth, it's bullshit..

Maybe if I make it biggerBig Grin........
Nations provide their infant mortality rates (IMR) using differing definitions, resulting in a skewed picture of how each country is truly able to stave off death in their newborns.

Also how many of those countries YOU want to compare the USA to have freaking crack babies or have a 13% population of blacks who historically have a higher rate of infant mortality?
How many of those countries YOU want to compare the USA to have anywhere near as many OBESE people because food is so easy to get and work is so easy to avoid??
(04-13-2013, 02:28 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 12:52 PM)TennisMom Wrote: TV unwittingly supported my assertions by saying 'These two cops fired their weapons when an armed man pointed a gun directly at them. '. What would they have done had the shooter been spraying bullets from Adam Lanza's gun?

Spraying bullets? you still don't know the difference in an assault rifle and a semi auto hunting rifle do you.
I do. At least 25 rounds of legal cartridges in the magazine. And that relates to the ability to "spray" bullets around.
Next question.
(04-13-2013, 02:36 PM)gapper Wrote:

Spraying bullets? you still don't know the difference in an assault rifle and a semi auto hunting rifle do you.
I do. At least 25 rounds legal capacity in the magazine.

So my assault weapon is no longer and assault weapon if I have my 5 round clip in it?
Anyway IMO the term "spraying bullets" indicates an automatic weapon.
(04-13-2013, 02:40 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-13-2013, 02:36 PM)gapper Wrote:

I do. At least 25 rounds legal capacity in the magazine.

So my assault weapon is no longer and assault weapon if I have my 5 round clip in it?
Anyway IMO the term "spraying bullets" indicates an automatic weapon.

Sure you could frame it that way. Or, you could frame it as any semi auto with more than 5 rounds in the magazine is not a legal hunting rifle.

As far as the term "spraying bullets" indicating an automatic weapon, that is only your opinion. We all have a right to make our own opinions, but not our own facts. I know of many people that can "spray" bullets almost as fast, if not as fast, with a semi auto as with an auto. Then there is the issue of "bump shooting" semi autos, too.