Common Core Testing
Thought I would share a link to the common core testing that our children will need to pass in order to get a diploma.

Glad I graduated when I did.

If every teacher/administrator can pass the 11th grade test, then by all means use it to test my student...if not, how can you justify this grueling test?

http://sbac.portal.airast.org/Practice_T...fault.html

Take the 11th grade test (required for a diploma) and tell me what you think.
Hell, I took the third grade test and couldn't understand what the questions were.
(05-31-2013, 09:02 AM)broadzilla Wrote: Thought I would share a link to the common core testing that our children will need to pass in order to get a diploma.

If every teacher/administrator can pass the 11th grade test, then by all means use it to test my student...if not, how can you justify this grueling test?

I don't know of any teacher or administrator that likes this test. Unfortunately most education decisions are not made by teachers but by politicians. Education is the one profession where everyone else is the 'expert'.
(05-31-2013, 09:02 AM)broadzilla Wrote: Thought I would share a link to the common core testing that our children will need to pass in order to get a diploma.

I did a bit of casual searching and couldn't find any language indicating one needed to pass the Common Core Testing for a HS diploma. The language seems to suggest this is a goal for those headed to further education. Perhaps college admission will require it?
I'd be curious to see the language stating CCT is mandatory to receive a HS diploma. If that's a fact, I'm not a big fan of this test. I understand the need for "minimum" requirements, but we are not all college materiel. Folks like me should get the diploma if we can tie a square knot.
(05-31-2013, 09:46 PM)Lucy Wrote:

I don't know of any teacher or administrator that likes this test. Unfortunately most education decisions are not made by teachers but by politicians. Education is the one profession where everyone else is the 'expert'.

Those that can, teach. Those that can't, try to tell teachers how to.
Ridiculous.
(06-03-2013, 11:31 AM)gapper Wrote:
(05-31-2013, 09:46 PM)Lucy Wrote:

Those that can, teach. Those that can't, try to tell teachers how to.
Ridiculous.

I plan on responding to this. First, I have to find my dictionary and look up "ridiculous". (Last time I saw the dictionary is was under the broken leg of the kitchen table)
For what it's worth. I don't see the CCT requirements here.

http://www.ode.state.or.us/teachlearn/ce...itions.pdf
Quote:The Common Core State Standards are the foundation of the Oregon Diploma.

http://www.ode.state.or.us/search/page/?id=1527

Wonky - In case you didn't realize, I am VERY involved in the educational system. Oregon is switching from OAKS testing to CCSS over the next two years. Passing the 11th grade CCSS tests will be required to receive your high school diploma.

Work done in class and homework no longer count toward a grade in the classes. Grades are based solely on how you score on the tests.
(06-03-2013, 04:33 PM)broadzilla Wrote:

Wonky - In case you didn't realize, I am VERY involved in the educational system. Oregon is switching from OAKS testing to CCSS over the next two years. Passing the 11th grade CCSS tests will be required to receive your high school diploma.

Work done in class and homework no longer count toward a grade in the classes. Grades are based solely on how you score on the tests.

I've always been interested in education and promote it for our youth as the foundation of life. Learning comes from all sources.

Could you explain a little or provide some place for me to read about what you wrote in your last two sentences. I reviewed the link, and passing these tests guarantee a diploma? What about being prepared for SATs etc

I know of a folks up north that swear by home schooling.
(06-03-2013, 05:11 PM)Prospector Wrote:

I've always been interested in education and promote it for our youth as the foundation of life. Learning comes from all sources.

Could you explain a little or provide some place for me to read about what you wrote in your last two sentences. I reviewed the link, and passing these tests guarantee a diploma? What about being prepared for SATs etc

I know of a folks up north that swear by home schooling.

SAT's have nothing to do with getting diploma. I know of some folks that equate "home schooling" to "no schooling', too. It works great for some people. It is just an excuse to get out of sending their kids to school, for some, too.

Thanks.
I spent some time reading (parts) of the link you provided.
This "shift" is going to be problematic, I would guess.
I can fully appreciate the need for some standard in awarding a diploma to HS graduates. (I myself received a HS diploma with about a 5th grade education). What I don't see here is the acknowledgement that we are not all created equal in native intelligence or stable lives during those years. My own experience (for what it's worth) was that I was not the dumb ass they pegged me for, or the rowdy asshole they saw in front of them, but a bit of both maybe. My potential for learning gave me some reward as the years unfolded. And so, I can understand how a rigorous standard could easily cause kids to "fail" for a variety of reasons.
And yet, standards are necessary. Rational thinking must, at some point, be the standard and if we quibble forever about what rational thinking is, we are doomed to an endless argument.

I hope, BZ, that your interest and involvement will keep you up to speed with this stuff and that you will keep us apprised of what you discover.

We all understand education is vitally important! Now, if we could make every student exactly a clone of the other, every teacher perfect, every classroom well equipped, and on and on, this would be easy.

Not easy this stuff. Most important things are not.

Looking forward to your posts, if you have time for this.
Agreed Wonky.
There must be standards but they must take into account the many variables involved. That is difficult but vitally necessary, as one size does not fit all.

I would support standardized testing for parental ability and stability as well. I understand that isn't going to happen, but until we figure a way to have parents be even somewhat accountable for their actions, we can come up with all of the "new" or "modern" education proposals we want, and still not have the end product we would like to have, in terms of the masses being well educated, contributing members of society.
If anyone is seriously interested in providing a world class education for this nations youth need only to look at Finland where, no matter how uninterested the parents are, the state makes sure the child gets a good education and healthy meals none the less. After all in a civilized society the children are its greatest asset.

Since Kent State when the conservatives decided that education produced liberals, the goal of the US educational system has been nothing but brainwashing and dumbing down by education to the test and ending electives thus destroying public education and supporting, trade schools, home-schooling and private schools for the monied.

And of course a college education is now left only to those whose families are with funds, a dwindling group since the collage loan programs has turned into another criminal adventure by the lenders leaving the vast majority of those wishing to attend college unable to get an education and that better job.
To have a reasonable base of comparison of education outcomes by country, one must first start with the institution of family.
Here's where a big part of our problems begin. Note that we have more than twice the rate of divorce as Finland.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_di...vorce-rate

Then there is the issue of drug abuse. Finland has one of the lowest drug abuse problems in Europe.
http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Report+...5240889055

Anyone that believes the schools and the government alone can guarantee a quality education, without the influence of the parents and home life, has probably never raised children, never been involved in schools beyond attending them, and really has no knowledge base from which to form meaningful opinions, in my opinion.
All great posts!
Reminds me of what my civics teacher once said, "the only dumb question is the one not asked! And education begins at home!"
(06-04-2013, 09:27 AM)gapper Wrote: To have a reasonable base of comparison of education outcomes by country, one must first start with the institution of family.
Here's where a big part of our problems begin. Note, the we have more than twice the rate of divorce as Finland.

http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/peo_di...vorce-rate

Then there is the issue of drug abuse. Finland has one of the lowest drug abuse problems in Europe.
http://www.hs.fi/english/article/Report+...5240889055

Anyone that believes the schools and the government alone can guarantee a quality education, without the influence of the parents and home life, has probably never raised children, never been involved in schools beyond attending them, and really has no knowledge base from which to form meaningful opinions, in my opinion.

In my opinion what you have said only means that too many incompatible Americans are not using birth control, are on drugs and having children to the detriment of the child.

But to be serious; if the US really cared about children and their education, teachers would be up the Finish standards, the schools would be designed to help children from broken homes instead of blaming the parents for not being involved and letting the child fall through the cracks.

Children are a nations asset and their education and future should not be entirely left to the parenting, good bad or indifferent of their parents and certainly not to the whims of local school districts who are guided more by finances and local politics than enhancing children's knowledge.

Education should open the mind of a child not put braces on their brains by teaching to some test.

A truly good education allows children to realize one never stops learning and there is a whole world, not just a country out there to play in.

And probably the hardest and most important lesson for any child; their parents are imperfect and are filled with their own prejudices, opinions and values that in many cases should not be passed on.
Fuck FinlandLaughingLaughing

Why oh why can't we be like the fins. I mean after all we have about as much in common as Sarah Palin does with Michael Moore.
Below is a top ten list via Cooperative Catalyst via via Parenting Magazine's Mom Congress 2012 summarizing the traits of the much admired and controversial Finnish education.

The Finns seem to do exactly opposite the growing U.S. education agenda:

1. Finland does not give their kids standardized tests.

2. Individual schools have curriculum autonomy; individual teachers have classroom autonomy.

3. It is not mandatory to give students grades until they are in the 8th grade.

4. All teachers are required to have a master's degree.

5. Finland does not have a culture of negative accountability for their teachers. According to Partanen, "bad" teachers receive more professional development; they are not threatened with being fired.

6. Finland has a culture of collaboration between schools, not competition. Most schools, according to Partanen, perform at the same level, so there is no status in attending a particular facility.

7. Finland has no private schools.

8. Education emphasis is "equal opportunity to all."They value equality over excellence.

9. A much higher percentage of Finland's educational budget goes directly into the classroom than it does in the US, as administrators make approximately the same salary as teachers. This also makes Finland's education more affordable than it is in the US.

10. Finnish culture values childhood independence; one example: children mostly get themselves to school on their own, by walking or bicycling, etc. Helicopter parenting isn't really in their vocabulary.

11. Finnish schools don't assign homework, because it is assumed that mastery is attained in the classroom.

12. Finnish schools have sports, but no sports teams. Competition is not valued.

13. The focus is on the individual child. If a child is falling behind, the highly trained teaching staff recognizes this need and immediately creates a plan to address the child's individual needs. Likewise, if a child is soaring ahead and bored, the staff is trained and prepared to appropriately address this as well.

14. Partanen correlated the methods and success of their public schools to US private schools. We already have a model right here at home.

15. Compulsory school in Finland doesn't begin until children are 7 years old.

From........... http://www.thedailyriff.com/articles/the...em-588.php
(06-04-2013, 10:10 AM)tvguy Wrote: Fuck FinlandLaughingLaughing

Why oh why can't we be like the fins. I mean after all we have about as much in common as Sarah Palin does with Michael Moore.

Actually TV, when it comes to education, Finland has it right. We should want to have an educational system such as theirs.
(06-04-2013, 09:00 AM)Leonard Wrote: If anyone is seriously interested in providing a world class education for this nations youth need only to look at Finland where, no matter how uninterested the parents are, the state makes sure the child gets a good education and healthy meals none the less. After all in a civilized society the children are its greatest asset.

Since Kent State when the conservatives decided that education produced liberals, the goal of the US educational system has been nothing but brainwashing and dumbing down by education to the test and ending electives thus destroying public education and supporting, trade schools, home-schooling and private schools for the monied.

And of course a college education is now left only to those whose families are with funds, a dwindling group since the collage loan programs has turned into another criminal adventure by the lenders leaving the vast majority of those wishing to attend college unable to get an education and that better job.
OMG! I agree with you!BlinkSmiling