Racial slurs hit the air
I actually hadn't heard about this. It's pretty blatant.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/...ana-pilots

http://www.today.com/video/today/52467105#52467105

The National Transportation Safety Board apologized Friday after an intern mistakenly confirmed to a television station racially offensive fake names for the pilots of the Asiana Airlines flight that crashed in San Francisco.

"The National Transportation Safety Board apologizes for inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed as those of the pilots of Asiana flight 214, which crashed at San Francisco International Airport on July 6," the NTSB said in a statement.

"Earlier today, in response to an inquiry from a media outlet, a summer intern acted outside the scope of his authority when he erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew on the aircraft," the NTSB said.

I wouldn't call them racial slurs. It's more of a verbal pun that is completely and totally tasteless in this context.

The list below has been circulating the internet for years:
[Image: learn_chinese_in_5_minutes.png]
(07-13-2013, 09:39 AM)Tiamat Wrote: I actually hadn't heard about this. It's pretty blatant.

http://usnews.nbcnews.com/_news/2013/07/...ana-pilots

http://www.today.com/video/today/52467105#52467105

The National Transportation Safety Board apologized Friday after an intern mistakenly confirmed to a television station racially offensive fake names for the pilots of the Asiana Airlines flight that crashed in San Francisco.

"The National Transportation Safety Board apologizes for inaccurate and offensive names that were mistakenly confirmed as those of the pilots of Asiana flight 214, which crashed at San Francisco International Airport on July 6," the NTSB said in a statement.

"Earlier today, in response to an inquiry from a media outlet, a summer intern acted outside the scope of his authority when he erroneously confirmed the names of the flight crew on the aircraft," the NTSB said.

I saw this image on Facebook:
[Image: 1373658631-ktvu.jpg]
I thought it was one of those bad fake FB jokes.
Wowza! Hard to believe no one caught that.
(07-13-2013, 09:49 AM)csrowan Wrote: I wouldn't call them racial slurs. It's more of a verbal pun that is completely and totally tasteless in this context.

I agree.
I could find some humor here, were these words not used in the context of such a tragedy.
Very poor judgment.Sad
(07-13-2013, 09:49 AM)csrowan Wrote: I wouldn't call them racial slurs. It's more of a verbal pun that is completely and totally tasteless in this context.

OK, whatever. I was in a hurry and actually the OP was a bit of work for someone needed to get out the door. Two links, a quote, a print function and a youtube video.
No worries. It gave me something to comment about. Smiling
(07-13-2013, 12:02 PM)csrowan Wrote: No worries. It gave me something to comment about. Smiling

LaughingLaughing I think we've hit a low point.Big Grin
How did the newscasters keet a straight face when reading that?
(07-13-2013, 01:33 PM)chuck white Wrote: How did the newscasters keet a straight face when reading that?

Electric shocks if she slips up.
Reading from a teleprompter, not seeing the text before she reads it, trying to make sure she pronounces everything correctly, possibly having someone talk in her ear at the same time, watching the signals from camera and directors... she had no clue.
(07-13-2013, 03:18 PM)csrowan Wrote: Reading from a teleprompter, not seeing the text before she reads it, trying to make sure she pronounces everything correctly, possibly having someone talk in her ear at the same time, watching the signals from camera and directors... she had no clue.

Had no clue YEP, And Being totally dense to that kind of thing. Most of us would have caught on and this had to get by more people than just the person reading it. It's so blatant I'm dowering if the whole thing is faked.
(07-13-2013, 03:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-13-2013, 03:18 PM)csrowan Wrote: Reading from a teleprompter, not seeing the text before she reads it, trying to make sure she pronounces everything correctly, possibly having someone talk in her ear at the same time, watching the signals from camera and directors... she had no clue.

Had no clue YEP, And Being totally dense to that kind of thing. Most of us would have caught on and this had to get by more people than just the person reading it. It's so blatant I'm dowering if the whole thing is faked.

Well, fine. What if she did know. But she's just figuring it out as she is reading it....kind of hard to even think of what to do.
(07-13-2013, 04:05 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(07-13-2013, 03:57 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Well, fine. What if she did know. But she's just figuring it out as she is reading it....kind of hard to even think of what to do.

My sister is very intelligent, college educated. She would have never noticed what she was saying was a joke. Some peoples brains just don't work that way.
In the news today Asiana is thinking about suing over this incident, because it's damaged their reputation (and, probably true): http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ss...cart_river

For what it's worth, I've known many people in advertising who, when designing a layout, insert dummy text where the real work will be inserted later. It's not uncommon to see humor inputted here, in what otherwise is a boring job for a creative person. While tasteless, I can see how this could happen.
(07-14-2013, 06:22 PM)PonderThis Wrote: In the news today Asiana is thinking about suing over this incident, because it's damaged their reputation (and, probably true): http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ss...cart_river

For what it's worth, I've known many people in advertising who, when designing a layout, insert dummy text where the real work will be inserted later. It's not uncommon to see humor inputted here, in what otherwise is a boring job for a creative person. While tasteless, I can see how this could happen.

Well, if it were generic American names, would it be an issue?
Probably not to Bigham Koch.
(07-14-2013, 06:25 PM)Tiamat Wrote:
(07-14-2013, 06:22 PM)PonderThis Wrote: In the news today Asiana is thinking about suing over this incident, because it's damaged their reputation (and, probably true): http://www.oregonlive.com/today/index.ss...cart_river

If anything damaged their reputation it might be the fact that the pilots had their heads up their asses and don't know how to fly a freaking plane.
(07-14-2013, 07:13 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(07-14-2013, 06:25 PM)Tiamat Wrote:

If anything damaged their reputation it might be the fact that the pilots had their heads up their asses and don't know how to fly a freaking plane.

That's true. But it doesn't keep folks from making the puns. So, it's racist if it's Asian, African American, Middle Eastern, Hispanic....whatever.
BOL for these Islamic terrorists:

M'Balz Es-Hari

Graabir Boubi

Haid D'Salaami

Hous Bin Pharteen

I-Zheet M'Drurz

Weird terrorist names