Somewhat Personal Question
Do any of you absolutely hate getting into an ice cold bed? Do you just deal with it on your own or have a heating apparatus? I finally got fed up and looked up bed warmers on Amazon. There are a ton of them! I started using a plain, old heating pad to kick things off and am deciding whether or not to spring for an electric bed warmer. What do you think? Confused
I think electric blankets are something people use in poorly insulated old houses that were impossibly expensive to keep warm at night. In houses built to modern codes they pretty much stay warm without drafts, and it seems like an extra blanket if you need anything might be just about right. I'm not sure I like the electrical hazard (or the emf's) of wearing electricity while I sleep either. If you need more maybe you should cultivate the friendship of a warm furry dog.
Our guest bed (queen size) has an electric heated mattress pad.
Our bed (king size) has a Biddeford Electric Blanket. We purchased ours at Macy's, but I see they're on sale at Kohl's right now.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-910028/...t-king.jsp

[Image: 910028_Cream]
(12-09-2013, 12:08 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Our guest bed (queen size) has an electric heated mattress pad.
Our bed (king size) has a Biddeford Electric Blanket. We purchased ours at Macy's, but I see they're on sale at Kohl's right now.

http://www.kohls.com/product/prd-910028/...t-king.jsp

[Image: 910028_Cream]

This is a good one for the $ and you definitely want dual controls.

I love the feel of flannel bed linens.
We like to sleep (even when the temp outside is 0) with the bedroom window cracked and the heat turned down to 65... but we like a warm bed.
(12-09-2013, 11:57 AM)TennisMom Wrote: Do any of you absolutely hate getting into an ice cold bed? Do you just deal with it on your own or have a heating apparatus? I finally got fed up and looked up bed warmers on Amazon. There are a ton of them! I started using a plain, old heating pad to kick things off and am deciding whether or not to spring for an electric bed warmer. What do you think? Confused

What is "ice cold" to you"? How cold is the air in this room you call ice cold. I'm betting it's not much below 70 if that.Razz

Anyway For me personally I don't need anything to warm the bed. I never even use more than one blanket and we turn the heat off or down at night.
But my wife? she can sleep under a ton of blankets.
(12-09-2013, 12:06 PM)PonderThis Wrote: I think electric blankets are something people use in poorly insulated old houses that were impossibly expensive to keep warm at night. In houses built to modern codes they pretty much stay warm without drafts, and it seems like an extra blanket if you need anything might be just about right. I'm not sure I like the electrical hazard (or the emf's) of wearing electricity while I sleep either. If you need more maybe you should cultivate the friendship of a warm furry dog.

Pretty much describes me.
I had a partner who loved her hot water bottle, sort of an old fashioned thing now.
I just deal with until my body heat warms it up. I love my sateen sheets and use them year-round, so sometimes the bed is a bit cold but it warms up.
I'm so hot, the bed doesn't stay cold after I get in it.
I've found that it's the apparent temperature of the sheets that bothers me. Flannel sheets feel warm the moment I get in, or at least not cold. But normal sheets have that cold-to-the-touch feeling.

You can also put on pajamas, even if you don't like wearing them to sleep in. Just keep them on until the bed warms up from your body temperature. Then it's skin time!

Or, for those who don't want to sleep with an electric blanket turned on, you can still use it to warm up the bed before getting in. They are a trifle uncomfortable to have right next to your body with all those cords running through them though, so you'll want it sandwiched in the middle of your other blankets. Turn it on a little before bed, then unplug it before snuggling under your nice, warm covers.
We have a king size heated mattress pad and love it!! Dual control with 3 zone setting and pre heats for 30 mins. Wonderful!
I'm thinking heated mattress pad. Electric blankets sound great but I want something that will warm up the sheets. I've never tried flannel sheets before because then I'll have the opposite problem of getting too warm during the night, no? My down comforter is plenty warm once it gets going.

Tvg, they haven't invented a sheet thermometer yet, so I don't really know what the temp is in my bed when I get into it. Happy All I know is, it takes forever to warm up. My feet especially take awhile to warm the bed. Eek!

Chuck, I'm not surprised your bed doesn't need a heat source besides you. Hot air is one of your best assets. Eyebrows

I may have talked myself into buying a mattress warmer, yep, I think so.
(12-09-2013, 05:44 PM)TennisMom Wrote: Tvg, they haven't invented a sheet thermometer yet, so I don't really know what the temp is in my bed when I get into it.

Unless your bed defies the laws of nature your bed should be the same temperature as your room.
What I was wondering was if your bedroom was chilly or not or what YOU think is cold.

I've used an electric blanket when I was going to sleep in a cold room. Only to heat up the bed and I turn it off when I lay down.
It would have to be below 30 before I would need to leave one of those things on.
Everyone's metabolism is different so whatever floats your boat.
http://www.sears.com/sunbeam-therapeutic...621116000P

This is the brand that's on my bed. Love it!
(12-09-2013, 05:44 PM)TennisMom Wrote: I....

Chuck, I'm not surprised your bed doesn't need a heat source besides you. Hot air is one of your best assets. Eyebrows

LaughingLaughing

Comes from eating cabbage.
(12-09-2013, 05:44 PM)TennisMom Wrote: I'm thinking heated mattress pad. Electric blankets sound great but I want something that will warm up the sheets. I've never tried flannel sheets before because then I'll have the opposite problem of getting too warm during the night, no? My down comforter is plenty warm once it gets going.

Tvg, they haven't invented a sheet thermometer yet, so I don't really know what the temp is in my bed when I get into it. Happy All I know is, it takes forever to warm up. My feet especially take awhile to warm the bed. Eek!

I may have talked myself into buying a mattress warmer, yep, I think so.

I suppose wearing socks to bed is out of the question, too. Smiling
Only weirdos wear socks to bed. Razz
(12-09-2013, 08:32 PM)broadzilla Wrote: Only weirdos wear socks to bed. Razz

Does that include toeless socks too? Smiling
Huh. I've been known to wear socks to bed if my feet were cold, and it didn't cause me any shame. Smiling I usually kick them during the night, though. It depends. When I was living in my RV and it would freeze inside, socks all night seemed about right. I like thick wool furry ones (the only kind I buy, actually). Smiling