Have You Turned Your Heater On Yet?
(10-17-2013, 05:58 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-17-2013, 04:07 PM)kadylady Wrote:
(10-17-2013, 09:29 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, during the worst of winter, sure. It took a 4x4 to get up my road. Smiling

(P.S. You sound earnest, in cutting my own firewood I have thrown a piece of firewood through my back window, rolled a log down the hill into a pickup driving by (my dog wandered into the road and stopped him, right where it was headed), shoved a log up through the bottom of a trailer, and ruined innumerable chains and other expendables. I am not even sure firewood cutting pays minimum wage, when all is counted in. Despite the potential pitfalls of buying firewood, I generally do, in the spring or early summer generally, when the guys can still get into the woods and when not everybody is buying so you can get a bit better of a deal, and it still has the rest of summer to be drying. That's MY best firewood advice.)

OK. Twitch You sound dangerous. LOL
I would prefer to buy it, already cut and split. It's a LOT of work. Not to mention all the repairs to your vehicles and equipment. Smiling

It's not him that's dangerous it's the job. I have also broken the back window. We are both fools for not having it covered, protected. I have also hit my truck with log rounds.
I knocked off my entire exhaust and muffler and then ran over it once.
I broke a break line off once and I bent it over with a hammer and beat on it until it sealed and drove home with front breaks only.
I once broke the break line off at the master cylinder and was going down a hill with no breaks and the truck in low granny when the clutch disk blew. I had to drive in to the bank on the uphill side OR crash down a ravine on the other side.
It took several attempts and we were gaining speed until finally a boulder ripped off the left front tire and the axle dug in enough to stop the truck.

We hid the chainsaws and walked out. When I returned the next morning my truck was vandalized, the wood was gone along with my new maul.
The windows were all broken and the head and tail lights, the wires were all ripped out of the engine. The carburetor was beaten and broken.
Add to all that it needed a clutch and new brakes line.
I had it fixed and running in three weeks with no help from anyone other than my wifeLaughing I've always been pretty proud of thatWink
Whoops ! Was that your truck?Rolling Eyes
(10-17-2013, 09:29 AM)PonderThis Wrote: Well, during the worst of winter, sure. It took a 4x4 to get up my road. Smiling

(P.S. You sound earnest, in cutting my own firewood I have thrown a piece of firewood through my back window, rolled a log down the hill into a pickup driving by (my dog wandered into the road and stopped him, right where it was headed), shoved a log up through the bottom of a trailer, and ruined innumerable chains and other expendables. I am not even sure firewood cutting pays minimum wage, when all is counted in. Despite the potential pitfalls of buying firewood, I generally do, in the spring or early summer generally, when the guys can still get into the woods and when not everybody is buying so you can get a bit better of a deal, and it still has the rest of summer to be drying. That's MY best firewood advice.)

I would prefer to buy it, already cut and split. It's a LOT of work. Not to mention all the repairs to your vehicles and equipment. Smiling

It's not him that's dangerous it's the job. I have also broken the back window. We are both fools for not having it covered, protected. I have also hit my truck with log rounds.
I broke a break line off once and I bent it over with a hammer and beat on it until it sealed and drove home with front breaks only.
I once broke the break line off at the master cylinder and was going down a hill with no breaks and the truck in low granny when the clutch disk blew. I had to drive in to the bank on the uphill side OR crash down a ravine on the other side.
It took several attempts and we were gaining speed until finally a boulder ripped off the left front tire and the axle dug in enough to stop the truck.

We hid the chainsaws and walked out. When I returned the next morning my truck was vandalized, the wood was gone along with my new maul.
The windows were all broken and the head and tail lights, the wires were all ripped out of the engine. The carburetor was beaten and broken.
I had it fixed and running in three weeks with no help from anyone other than my wifeLaughing I've always been pretty proud of thatWink

Jeez. You guys have great stories. We need to start up a Firewood Cutters Anonymous Program. I would go....just to hear the tales! Smiling
(10-17-2013, 06:49 PM)kadylady Wrote:

Jeez. You guys have great stories. We need to start up a Firewood Cutters Anonymous Program. I would go....just to hear the tales! Smiling

Can we drink beer?Razz

Back in the day I could hire a helper for 20 bucks a cord. Don't laugh I sold a cord of red fir for as low and $45. That was when I had too. I hired this German guy once, I forget how I met him. he was just traveling through America. He didn't speak one word of English and I didn't speak much German even though I was stationed there.
Anyway he was able to show that he could run a saw even though all my helpers usually needed to do was split and stack.
Turned out he was an experienced logger. He knew how to splice cables and re rig a log that was stuck so that the next pull would free it up.
So I started pulling out a bunch of logs and while I went to town to sell a cord he would stay in the woods and cut and split.
So we got two cords a day for most of the time until he said he had enough cash and was ready to move on.
It was really cool how we could communicate, laugh, joke and carry on even though we couldn't understand any words we said.
(10-17-2013, 07:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(10-17-2013, 06:49 PM)kadylady Wrote:

Can we drink beer?Razz

Back in the day I could hire a helper for 20 bucks a cord. Don't laugh I sold a cord of red fir for as low and $45. That was when I had too. I hired this German guy once, I forget how I met him. he was just traveling through America. He didn't speak one word of English and I didn't speak much German even though I was stationed there.
Anyway he was able to show that he could run a saw even though all my helpers usually needed to do was split and stack.
Turned out he was an experienced logger. He knew how to splice cables and re rig a log that was stuck so that the next pull would free it up.
So I started pulling out a bunch of logs and while I went to town to sell a cord he would stay in the woods and cut and split.
So we got two cords a day for most of the time until he said he had enough cash and was ready to move on.
It was really cool how we could communicate, laugh, joke and carry on even though we couldn't understand any words we said.
Sometimes that's the best way TO communicate. Smiling
And....yes, beer would be required, I think.
Tia... saw this and thought of you trying to stay warm without using the heater much.

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/11...ights.html

Quote:Wanting to cut costs on the energy bill, especially now that temperatures are dropping for the season? Economics may be one reason to seek more sustainable energy sources, but this inventive way to heat the house is also purely fascinating.

(01-08-2014, 11:10 PM)Scrapper Wrote: Tia... saw this and thought of you trying to stay warm without using the heater much.

http://www.whydontyoutrythis.com/2013/11...ights.html

Quote:Wanting to cut costs on the energy bill, especially now that temperatures are dropping for the season? Economics may be one reason to seek more sustainable energy sources, but this inventive way to heat the house is also purely fascinating.

Damn, that little thing has gone viral in a huge way. I see it everywhere. I saw it years ago. I have tried versions of it. I think if you lived in a bathroom or a trailer it might do the trick! I even put one of those in my unheated bedroom and saw no real improvement. If you hold you hand over the top it is quite hot. Too hot to hold there. Thanks for the thought!Smiling
I'm pretty sure you would get as much or more heat with tiny electric heater or a small incandescent bulb.
(01-09-2014, 12:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm pretty sure you would get as much or more heat with tiny electric heater or a small incandescent bulb.

I think it's warmer than an incandescent. It does kick out some heat. And I don't know what you mean by tiny electric heater. How much heat do they put out? I have to admit, when I tried this, I didn't use a metal tray, but a terra cotta one. And actually I got more heat using just one pot rather than one on top of the other. So, scientifically I cannot dispute it works! I think if it was cold but not freezing and it was a very small space like a camper or something, it could make a difference in the comfort of the space.
(01-09-2014, 12:12 PM)tvguy Wrote: I'm pretty sure you would get as much or more heat with tiny electric heater or a small incandescent bulb.

I did the math once, when I saw this years ago. I calculated that if you buy the candles at the dollar store you paid ten time as much as from heating from the grid.

Now if you heated with gasoline...There is a lot of BTUs in a gallon of gas.
(01-10-2014, 04:53 AM)chuck white Wrote:

I did the math once, when I saw this years ago. I calculated that if you buy the candles at the dollar store you paid ten time as much as from heating from the grid.

Speaking of candles, I was given some candles for Christmas, they must be petroleum based because after burning awhile my eyes and nostrils were irritated.

Just thought I mention to be careful about burning candles, my neighbor says she only burns soy candles.
(01-10-2014, 07:34 AM)Prospector Wrote:
(01-10-2014, 04:53 AM)chuck white Wrote:

Speaking of candles, I was given some candles for Christmas, they must be petroleum based because after burning awhile my eyes and nostrils were irritated.

Just thought I mention to be careful about burning candles, my neighbor says she only burns soy candles.

Yeah, candles come in all sorts. I find beewax ones at the goodwill from time to time.
(01-09-2014, 11:31 PM)Tiamat Wrote: [quote='tvguy' pid='327024' dateline='1389294744']
I'm pretty sure you would get as much or more heat with tiny electric heater or a small incandescent bulb.

Quote:I think it's warmer than an incandescent.

It depends on what wattage.

Quote:It does kick out some heat. And I don't know what you mean by tiny electric heater. How much heat do they put out? I have to admit, when I tried this, I didn't use a metal tray, but a terra cotta one. And actually I got more heat using just one pot rather than one on top of the other. So, scientifically I cannot dispute it works! I think if it was cold but not freezing and it was a very small space like a camper or something, it could make a difference in the comfort of the space.

Well sure it works but like Chuck is saying it costs more that an electric device that puts out the same amount of heat.
It's just math.
If this was actually cheaper than electricity then people could do the same thing on a larger scale and save money by doing this instead of heating with electric.

I think it's a cool little way to heat a small space when you don't have any electricity.

Quote: TIA..... I think it's warmer than an incandescent.

Quote:It does kick out some heat. And I don't know what you mean by tiny electric heater. How much heat do they put out? I have to admit, when I tried this, I didn't use a metal tray, but a terra cotta one. And actually I got more heat using just one pot rather than one on top of the other. So, scientifically I cannot dispute it works! I think if it was cold but not freezing and it was a very small space like a camper or something, it could make a difference in the comfort of the space.

Well sure it works but like Chuck is saying it costs more that an electric device that puts out the same amount of heat.
It's just math.
If this was actually cheaper than electricity people could do the same thing on a larger scale and save money by doing this instead of heating with electric.But they don't.Smiling

I think it's a cool little way to heat a small space when you don't have any electricity.
It looks to me like it might be a pretty good idea but if instead of candles it was bigger than that, and if there was a way you could put chunks of wood in it instead of candles, and if there was a way the exhaust could go up a chimney instead of having to be stuck with the smokiness in the room. If those kinds of things could be fixed I think this could be a great idea.
(01-10-2014, 01:11 PM)PonderThis Wrote: It looks to me like it might be a pretty good idea but if instead of candles it was bigger than that, and if you could put wood in it instead, and if there was a way the exhaust could go up a chimney instead of having to be stuck with the smokiness in the room. If those kinds of things could be fixed I think this could be a great idea.

Laughing
(01-10-2014, 01:06 PM)tvguy Wrote:

Quote: TIA..... I think it's warmer than an incandescent.

It's just math.
If this was actually cheaper than electricity people could do the same thing on a larger scale and save money by doing this instead of heating with electric.But they don't.Smiling

Sure, I guess. I never gave it much thought.
Wax calorific value
8.4 kJ/g

To heat like a 100 watt bub (100 J/Sec) you would have to burn a a gram every 84 seconds , that's an oz every 39 minutes or 1.5 Oz of wax every hour to make 1/10 of a kilowatt hour.

at 10 cent per killowatt hour you need 15 oz of wax. So unless your buying wax at less than 10 cent per pound.
Gasoline has 116,090 BTU/ gal
1 BTU is 0.00029307107 kilowatt hours

so a gallon of gas is 34 kilowatt hours.

at 10 cent/kilowatt hour that's $3.40 per gallon.

So I saw $3.23/gallon at town and pump.

This is assuming you don't vent any of the heat outside. (Which I don't recommend)

Wood on the other hand

23,700,000 BTU per cord madrone
http://chimneysweeponline.com/howood.htm

That is 6945 kilowat hours or about $69 dollars worth of electricity.
(01-11-2014, 12:49 AM)chuck white Wrote: Gasoline has 116,090 BTU/ gal

This is assuming you don't vent any of the heat outside. (Which I don't recommend)

Wood on the other hand

Well, can't burn wood. I burn candles, but not for heat as much as for the comfort factor of them.
(01-11-2014, 12:49 AM)chuck white Wrote: Gasoline has 116,090 BTU/ gal

Wood on the other hand

There is something wrong with your math, because there's far more heat value in a cord of wood than there is in $69 worth of electricity. Everybody would heat with electricity and save money up the butt if you were right here. Plus, I've posted charts here before showing the relative costs of various forms of heating, and wood heating is quite a bit cheaper than heating with electricity according to their charts too. I think you've slipped a digit or something.

EDIT: And, that's what you did. At 10 cents a kilowatt hour, your 6945 kilowatt hours equals $694.50 per cord.

My power is running more like about 20 cents a kilowatt hour, by the time all the extra fees are included. (But, my bill is only $25 a month, too.)