Does Money Make You Mean?
Not in small doses, but if you have enough of it, money can turn you into a real a$$hole. Check it out.

http://www.ted.com/talks/paul_piff_does_...e_you_mean

A rigged game where the winners consider themselves Masters of the Universe and lose all empathy for others? Hmmmm, where have I heard THAT before?

Bottom line: Wealth Inequality destroys cultures, nations, and people. (Otherwise, what's the problem?)
Gee. Right on cue.

A small group of financial firms are using their technological superiority to skim the top off the market, Michael Lewis claims in his new book "Flash Boys." There's an increasingly heated debate over whether the practices, known as high-frequency trading, are harmful or helpful. Lewis, for his part, says the market is "rigged," and several federal agencies, including the Department of Justice, are now looking into what Charles Schwab recently labeled "a growing cancer."

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonk...c=nl_wnkpm
(04-05-2014, 08:25 AM)MarkM Wrote: Not in small doses, but if you have enough of it, money can turn you into a real a$$hole. Check it out.

A rigged game where the winners consider themselves Masters of the Universe and lose all empathy for others? Hmmmm, where have I heard THAT before?

Bottom line: Wealth Inequality destroys cultures, nations, and people. (Otherwise, what's the problem?)

That's your bottom line. This looks like junk science to me.The guy looks like some motivational speaker selling something. I believe in every society since the beginning of time there were some people who ended up better off than others.
They could have been smarter, more energetic, had more initiative or whatever. You name it.
We are not all created equal. We never were.
I think the fact that people like I just described fair better and made this the the greatest country in the world in many ways shows that capitalism not only works but it always has.
And the amazing thing is while I hear all of this complaining about the wealth distribution in the USA. No one who complains seems willing to admit that our poor people here live VERY well compared to just about anywhere else in the world.
It certainly makes some people greedier than you can imagine.

Meet the Walton Family

The Walton family is the richest family in the United States and one of the richest in the world. They are heirs to the Walmart fortune and the company’s largest shareholders, with over fifty percent ownership of stock in the retail giant.

Sam Walton and his brother Bud opened their first Walmart discount store in 1962. Today three family members serve on Walmart’s board of directors; Rob is the chair, and sits on the board with his brother Jim and his son-in-law, Greg Penner.

The six Waltons on Forbes’ list of wealthiest Americans have a net worth of $144.7 billion. This fiscal year three Waltons—Rob, Jim, and Alice (and the various entities that they control)—will receive an estimated $3.1 billion in Walmart dividends from their majority stake in the company.

The Waltons aren’t just the face of the 1%; they’re the face of the 0.000001%. The Waltons have more wealth than 42% of American families combined.

Why does all of this matter? While the Waltons are building billion-dollar museums, driving million-dollar cars, and jumping between vacation homes, Walmart, the country’s largest private employer, is paying its associates an average of $8.81 an hour. The Waltons make billions a year off of a company most of them don’t even work for, while Walmart associates struggle for respect on the job and enough pay to make ends meet.

Through their family legacy, places on Walmart’s board of directors, and their majority stake in the company, the Waltons have the power to turn 1.4 million Walmart jobs into good jobs.

Click the link to learn about the individual family members. http://walmart1percent.org/family/
(04-05-2014, 09:24 AM)cletus1 Wrote: It certainly makes some people greedier than you can imagine.

Meet the Walton Family

The Walton family is the richest family in the United States and one of the richest in the world. They are heirs to the Walmart fortune and the company’s largest shareholders, with over fifty percent ownership of stock in the retail giant.

Sam Walton and his brother Bud opened their first Walmart discount store in 1962. Today three family members serve on Walmart’s board of directors; Rob is the chair, and sits on the board with his brother Jim and his son-in-law, Greg Penner.

The six Waltons on Forbes’ list of wealthiest Americans have a net worth of $144.7 billion. This fiscal year three Waltons—Rob, Jim, and Alice (and the various entities that they control)—will receive an estimated $3.1 billion in Walmart dividends from their majority stake in the company.

The Waltons aren’t just the face of the 1%; they’re the face of the 0.000001%. The Waltons have more wealth than 42% of American families combined.

Why does all of this matter? While the Waltons are building billion-dollar museums, driving million-dollar cars, and jumping between vacation homes, Walmart, the country’s largest private employer, is paying its associates an average of $8.81 an hour. The Waltons make billions a year off of a company most of them don’t even work for, while Walmart associates struggle for respect on the job and enough pay to make ends meet.

Through their family legacy, places on Walmart’s board of directors, and their majority stake in the company, the Waltons have the power to turn 1.4 million Walmart jobs into good jobs.

Click the link to learn about the individual family members. http://walmart1percent.org/family/

You can only call them greedy if you assume they actually think like youLaughing I mean some of these people actually believe they are doing the right think Cletus.

The Walton's might tell you ....Hey we employ more American citizens than any other company.They don't have to work for us... We used our state of the art delivery and trucking system to feed tens of thousands of people after Katrina.
Maybe they think if they didn't structure their business they way they do they wouldn't be so successful?
They probably consider the vast amount of revenue our government makes from their business a pay back. And I have no doubt they kick back a lot of money for some kinds of charities.

As a matter of fact I found this....In 2012, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $1 billion in cash and in-kind contributions around the world. This includes $1 billion in cash and in-kind gifts in the United States and $82.2 million in cash and in-kind gifts in international markets. In addition, Walmart, Sam’s Club and Logistics associates volunteered more than 2.2 million hours, generating $18 million to U.S. nonprofits.

As far as owning million dollar cars?? So? How much are jay Leno's cars worth?

I'm not defending Walmart as a business organization. I'm a union man for Pete's sake. I'm just saying that your definition of greedy is undoubtedly not theirs.
The earned their wealth legally and competing with other businesses and I bet they are actually proud of that and believe they are the salt of the earth.Razz
(04-05-2014, 09:02 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-05-2014, 08:25 AM)MarkM Wrote: Not in small doses, but if you have enough of it, money can turn you into a real a$$hole. Check it out.

That's your bottom line. This looks like junk science to me.The guy looks like some motivational speaker selling something. I believe in every society since the beginning of time there were some people who ended up better off than others.
They could have been smarter, more energetic, had more initiative or whatever. You name it.
I think the fact that people like I just described fair better and made this the the greatest country in the world in many ways shows that capitalism not only works but it always has.
And the amazing thing is while I hear all of this complaining about the wealth distribution in the USA. No one who complains seems willing to admit that our poor people here live VERY well compared to just about anywhere else in the world.

Oh, no! A post-doctoral researcher conducted multiple studies showing that wealth tends to make people selfish!

And, since you didn't like the results, so you turn to denial instead of research or curiosity... Sounds about par for the course.

Handling Money Decreases Helpful Behavior
http://www.psmag.com/navigation/business...ior-72644/

Winning the lottery makes you more conservative, study finds
http://www.theguardian.com/money/2014/fe...nservative

Quote:In a windowless room on the University of California, Berkeley, campus, two undergrads are playing a Monopoly game that one of them has no chance of winning. A team of psychologists has rigged it so that skill, brains, savvy, and luck—those ingredients that ineffably combine to create success in games as in life—have been made immaterial. Here, the only thing that matters is money.

One of the players, a brown-haired guy in a striped T-shirt, has been made “rich.” He got $2,000 from the Monopoly bank at the start of the game and receives $200 each time he passes Go. The second player, a chubby young man in glasses, is comparatively impoverished. He was given $1,000 at the start and collects $100 for passing Go. T-Shirt can roll two dice, but Glasses can only roll one, limiting how fast he can advance. The students play for fifteen minutes under the watchful eye of two video cameras, while down the hall in another windowless room, the researchers huddle around a computer screen, later recording in a giant spreadsheet the subjects’ every facial twitch and hand gesture.

T-Shirt isn’t just winning; he’s crushing Glasses. Initially, he reacted to the inequality between him and his opponent with a series of smirks, an acknowledgment, perhaps, of the inherent awkwardness of the situation. “Hey,” his expression seemed to say, “this is weird and unfair, but whatever.” Soon, though, as he whizzes around the board, purchasing properties and collecting rent, whatever discomfort he feels seems to dissipate. He’s a skinny kid, but he balloons in size, spreading his limbs toward the far ends of the table. He smacks his playing piece (in the experiment, the wealthy player gets the Rolls-Royce) as he makes the circuit—smack, smack, smack—­ending his turns with a board-shuddering bang! Four minutes in, he picks up Glasses’s piece, the little elf shoe, and moves it for him. As the game nears its finish, T-Shirt moves his Rolls faster. The taunting is over now: He’s all efficiency. He refuses to meet Glasses’s gaze. His expression is stone cold as he takes the loser’s cash.

<snip>

Earlier this year, Piff, who is 30, published a paper in theProceedings of the National Academy of Sciences that made him semi-famous. Titled “Higher Social Class Predicts Increased Unethical Behavior,” it showed through quizzes, online games, questionnaires, in-lab manipulations, and field studies that living high on the socioeconomic ladder can, colloquially speaking, dehumanize people. It can make them less ethical, more selfish, more insular, and less compassionate than other people. It can make them more likely, as Piff demonstrated in one of his experiments, to take candy from a bowl of sweets designated for children. “While having money doesn’t necessarily make anybody anything,” Piff says, “the rich are way more likely to prioritize their own self-interests above the interests of other people. It makes them more likely to exhibit characteristics that we would stereotypically associate with, say, assholes.”
http://nymag.com/news/features/money-brain-2012-7/
So OL is a millionaire?
(04-05-2014, 09:53 AM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-05-2014, 09:24 AM)cletus1 Wrote: It certainly makes some people greedier than you can imagine.

Meet the Walton Family

You can only call them greedy if you assume they actually think like youLaughing I mean some of these people actually believe they are doing the right think Cletus.

The Walton's might tell you ....Hey we employ more American citizens than any other company.They don't have to work for us... We used our state of the art delivery and trucking system to feed tens of thousands of people after Katrina.
Maybe they think if they didn't structure their business they way they do they wouldn't be so successful?
They probably consider the vast amount of revenue our government makes from their business a pay back. And I have no doubt they kick back a lot of money for some kinds of charities.

As a matter of fact I found this....In 2012, Walmart and the Walmart Foundation gave more than $1 billion in cash and in-kind contributions around the world. This includes $1 billion in cash and in-kind gifts in the United States and $82.2 million in cash and in-kind gifts in international markets. In addition, Walmart, Sam’s Club and Logistics associates volunteered more than 2.2 million hours, generating $18 million to U.S. nonprofits.

I'm not defending Walmart as a business organization. I'm a union man for Pete's sake. I'm just saying that your definition of greedy is undoubtedly not theirs.
The earned their wealth legally and competing with other businesses and I bet they are actually proud of that and believe they are the salt of the earth.Razz

I know that Walmart has a foundation and does charitable work. So what?They could pay their employees better wages and have decided not to. Why? Greed is the answer.

There are many companies that have decided to pay good wages to their employees. Walmart could too. So relative to the topic title, I think the Walton's qualify as greedy pricks. Smiling
(04-05-2014, 10:25 AM)bbqboy Wrote: So OL is a millionaire?

BBQ has increased the number of one liners since his lying in.
(04-05-2014, 09:02 AM)tvguy Wrote:

Don't confuse wealth inequality or wealth inequity or equality of any kind with equal outcomes. Conservatives knee jerk to this nuclear option as a way of deflecting the argument. Advocates for economic justice do not ever argue that everyone from neurosurgeons to the ballpark peanut guy should be paid the same. That is ludicrous. Obviously everyone has varying skills and talents, each with a distinct economic value. As you point out, brains, energy and initiative, among other things determine how and whether one individual parleys his/her gifts into money while another does not. That is how the system of well-regulated capitalism works, and as you say it works very well.

However, when the degree of regulation weakens we find ourselves in a game with no rules, or worse, a game with rules that favor those who already have more than anyone else. Then we enter into a situation of wealth inequity -- a few people are paid much, much more than they are worth; while the vast majority are paid far less than they are worth. Obviously the latter group is getting the shaft. It's not fair, and they are right to protest and advocate for social and political change. That's not surprising.

It's also not surprising to hear the 1% group defend themselves in this unfair system by claiming they are more talented, harder workers than the others. In fact, those others are probably a bit lazy and would rather have hand-outs. They invent the "job creator -- maker/taker" meme which not unlike slavery tells the oppressed they should be happy with what they've got and happier still things are not worse.

This new scientific research demonstrates that this reaction on the part of the extremely, unfairly wealthy has psychological causes. The rich aren't bad; they can't help themselves. We shouldn't blame them either for winning a rigged game. That's not fair. Of course they should win. For example, the Walton kids aren't bad people because they woke up with a bag of money in their cribs. It's not their fault. But we now know that the presence of that money changes them. That's not their fault either. It's just the way people work.

So what to do? We have to ensure that the economic game is played fair. We need to install and enforce strong laws that protect the weak against the abuses of the strong. But we also need to protect the strong against the abuses of inordinate power and wealth. Teddy Roosevelt knew this 100 years ago. This should not come as news to us.

Therefore, we need to put back in place the high marginal income taxes that curbed the extreme wealth of TR's time. We need to re-institute strong inheritance and estate taxes to prevent the growth of family dynasties like those the Founding Fathers feared from Europe. We need to tax investment income the same way we tax earned income, just like we did before Reagan changed everything. Then we can reward real work the same way we reward the shenanigans on Wall St.

That's just for starters. There's plenty of money and wealth in America. There are hundreds of millions of Americans working very hard to create it. We all need to be fairly compensated for the wealth our labor creates. This is not redistribution of wealth. It is fair distribution of wealth. We already have redistribution of wealth right now. And the wealth is being redistributed from those who create it upward to those who already possess most of it.

Happy Sunday.

Meet the Walton Family

How much was cash and how much was "in kind" gifts? What's that? The water bottles they sent to Katrina? I thought they did that as kindness? Did Walmart write it off then so they could through it back in our faces now to show how great they are?

For Walmart, a billion is chump change. If Walmart paid its fair share of wages in the first place the profit that ends up in the pockets of a few would be smaller. That's good for both the workers (obviously) and the owners (counter-intuitively). Then if Walmart paid its fair share of taxes, its contribution to the national economy would be far greater than its modest offering of "in kind" tokens.

Don't be fooled by Walmart's pomp and circumstance. There's man behind the curtain here. And he doesn't want to pay taxes.
(04-05-2014, 10:44 AM)cletus1 Wrote:

Meet the Walton Family

I know that Walmart has a foundation and does charitable work. So what?They could pay their employees better wages and have decided not to. Why? Greed is the answer.

There are many companies that have decided to pay good wages to their employees. Walmart could too. So relative to the topic title, I think the Walton's qualify as greedy pricks. Smiling

I thought I was pretty clear in what I said.
I said...You can only call them greedy if you assume they actually think like you

You said... I know that Walmart has a foundation and does charitable work. So what?

"So what" means that in THEIR minds they aren't greedy. They give away billions and they earn more billions. So considering that THEY don't think THEY are greedy then what sense does it make to make the claim that they are 'MEAN"
(04-06-2014, 07:18 AM)MarkM Wrote:
(04-05-2014, 09:53 AM)tvguy Wrote: [quote='cletus1' pid='336984' dateline='1396715076']
It certainly makes some people greedier than you can imagine.

Meet the Walton Family

Quote:How much was cash and how much was "in kind" gifts? What's that? The water bottles they sent to Katrina? I thought they did that as kindness? Did Walmart write it off then so they could through it back in our faces now to show how great they are?

Funny i don't agree with Walmarts business practices either but at least I'm honest about them.

Water bottles Mark??? Seriously you can't bring yourself to acknowledge the truth here???

Wal-Mart's response to Katrina -- an unrivaled $20 million in cash donations, 1,500 truckloads of free merchandise, food for 100,000 meals and the promise of a job for every one of its displaced workers -- has turned the chain into an unexpected lifeline for much of the Southeast and earned it near-universal praise at a time when the company is struggling to burnish its image.

While state and federal officials have come under harsh criticism for their handling of the storm's aftermath, Wal-Mart is being held up as a model for logistical efficiency and nimble disaster planning, which have allowed it to quickly deliver staples such as water, fuel and toilet paper to thousands of evacuees.

In Brookhaven, Miss., for example, where Wal-Mart operates a vast distribution center, the company had 45 trucks full of goods loaded and ready for delivery before Katrina made landfall. To keep operating near capacity, Wal-Mart secured a special line at a nearby gas station to ensure that its employees could make it to,
So Walmart goes from reviled to admired for a few million bucks. Great PR move. Pretty cheap too. Money well spent.
(04-06-2014, 03:00 PM)MarkM Wrote: So Walmart goes from reviled to admired for a few million bucks. Great PR move. Pretty cheap too. Money well spent.

Sure. Or it's possible that they actually cared for the people who's lives were devastated by Katrina and knew they could actually do a faster job helping than FEMA.

OH wait I forgot. Money makes people mean because a couple of you found that out on the internet.
If they cared about people, they'd pay a fair wage.
(04-06-2014, 03:23 PM)MarkM Wrote: If they cared about people, they'd pay a fair wage.

You still don't get my point dudeBig Grin

They don't think they pay an unfair wage.

My sister and her husband care deeply about people. They spend a lot of time and money proving it.

They think Gays are sinners. They don't want to allow them to marry. They think black people are pampered and can get a job as easily as a white person.
HE said Obama is not a black man because Obama is half white.

The damn sure are not MEAN people.

These people care, they are just wrong and or deluded. I think the same could be and probably true about the Walton's.
A couple of guys that used to work for me now works at Wal-Mart. Tell me it is the best job. Of course they are lazy progressives that want to get the most from the handouts.
(04-06-2014, 03:54 PM)charger Wrote: A couple of guys that used to work for me now works at Wal-Mart. Tell me it is the best job. Of course they are lazy progressives that want to get the most from the handouts.

Yeah, my mom worked for them until she retired at 71 years old.
(04-06-2014, 03:36 PM)tvguy Wrote:
(04-06-2014, 03:23 PM)MarkM Wrote: If they cared about people, they'd pay a fair wage.

You still don't get my point dudeBig Grin

They don't think they pay an unfair wage.

Of course they don't. That proves nothing.

My sister and her husband care deeply about people. They spend a lot of time and money proving it.

They think Gays are sinners. They don't want to allow them to marry. They think black people are pampered and can get a job as easily as a white person.
HE said Obama is not a black man because Obama is half white.

The damn sure are not MEAN people.

The Gays probably think they are. Probably the blacks too.

These people care, they are just wrong and or deluded.

This makes sense to you? Worse, it makes it OK?

I think the same could be and probably true about the Walton's.